Opinions on Wedding Dresses and Tattoos

Online Users: 1,318 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 12

MadamBari Posts : 16 Registered: 8/7/09
Opinions on Wedding Dresses and Tattoos
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 7:20 PM

So I've been having 'THE Dress' on my mind forever. I've always pictured myself in some sort of strapless number and even though the style of the dress has changed a multitude of times in my head with every dress I try on, the one constant is that I WANT A STRAPLESS.

My issue is with my tattoos. I absolutely ADORE my tattoos to the ends of the earth. I designed them all my self (even though I'm not an artist, lol).

But if I were to try to cover them all up, I'd end up dressing like an old-school quaker with a hood. Yes, a hood... (tiny music notes behind my right ear.)

Is it appropriate to show large tattoos as a bride? I don't mind the small ones so much, but I have to fairly substantial matching black tattoos on each shoulder blade and one VERY LARGE tattoo that goes down almost the entire length of my spine and accross my shoulders. It's not really super intense... there's no color what-so-ever... it's all in black. And it's not thick... I don't know.

Do you think this would be 'okay' to show... would it completely mess up my wedding photos? I don't want to cover them up with makeup because A) it will look crappy if it doesn't completely mask them and B) I don't want makeup all over my dress!

So... should I still go with a strapless that I've always dreamed of or should I try to find a dress that I love that covers it?

Awww... my ticker didn't work. Back to the drawing board!

Edited by: MadamBari on Aug 11, 2009 8:47 AM

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Re: Opinions on Wedding Dresses and Tattoos
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Your tattoos are a part of you and obviously a very significant part. By hiding them it seems to me like it's hiding a part of who you are. If you are not ashamed of the tattoos you have then why cover them up or try and find a style that covers them? I suppose the traditional bride look doesn't include tattoos but, honestly, are you a traditional bride? I don't mean that in a bad way either. I have a tattoo, granted it's on my foot, but I got a pair of shoes that will show off that tattoo. (I plan on having pictures of my and my bridesmaid's feet in our shoes as well as when the garter is pulled off. You've chosen tattoos that aren't easy to cover up so I see no point in covering them.

It's a matter of personal preference. Do you want to hide your tattoos or not?

To love another person is to see the face of God.

My wedding blog

http://thenolabride.blogspot.com/

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RebeccaIngram&ScottFazzio

Come see our wedding website!

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

100% don't cover them up. Your FH is marrying you because he loves you. No need to cover up a part of you just to get married! I was a tattooed bride, and we tried to work with them rather than cover them up. We used purple as our color because it matched my arm, and we had the florist use the colors and style of my tattoos as inspiration in our flowers. Photographers definitely seem to like tattoos, so you'll probably get a lot of pics of your back, but I thought ours came out pretty cool. Here's a few of our photos with my tattoos, so you can see that it won't ruin your photos, they may actually make them cooler!
untitled.jpg picture by steffmacmath
pic1.jpg picture by steffmacmath
901050811309_0_ALB.jpg picture by steffmacmath
392401811309_0_ALB.jpg picture by steffmacmath

Anyways, you get my point. Be yourself. Don't worry about what magazines say a bride should look like.

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I agree with the others. Don't cover them up. Embrace them. Plenty of women with tatoos flaunt them on their big days and still look stunning, elegant, and like themselves. All of the women in the photos below look very beautiful and very bride-like. I think the key to your decision is whether or not you can show your tattoos in your wedding dress CONFIDENTLY. Show them off with the pride you have any other day.

alb01.jpg image by mommdearest55

Unión by nrafalow.

Colored bride, tattooed Wedding

Cherish Yesterday, Dream for Tomorrow, Live Today!

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

My suggestion? Play up the tattoos up instead of pretending they are not there. You won't look traditional with all of your tattoos, so I'd totally play up the non-traditional look.

Maybe a gown with a low back that shows off the tattoo on the spine, or experiment with non white dresses -- personally I think a dress in a dark color, like black or chocolate or navy, would look stunning, and show them off. The problem for me with most tattooed brides in traditional dresses is that they just don't look. . .well, traditional.

I guess what I'm saying is that on all of the dresses above, my eye immediately goes to the tattoo instead of the bride. That's the risk you run, frankly. So I would try several different types, styles, including ones that aren't wedding-y at all, to see how comfortable you feel. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with how you look and how you present yourself. Give yourself enough time to try on a broad array of gowns, including ones that cover the tatts up, and go with the one you really feel the most comfortable in.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Should you cover your tattoos? Absolutely not! They are a part of you, and you shouldn't cover them up for one day. Part of being a bride is letting your inner and outer beauty shine through, and your tattoos should reflect that.

Do you feel comfortable letting them show? Do you feel like you will regret it later? How do you feel?

Lilypie - (8e8A)

MadamBari Posts : 16 Registered: 8/7/09
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Well, lol, at least the opinions are unanimous! I don't think traditional will be a problem... the lines are on my back piece are pretty delicate and there isn't any color... The shoulder ones are thick, but they're all black too. And they're not huge, just thick, if that makes any sense.

But you all made perfect sense. They're a part of me and I've never been ashamed or regretted them in the slightest. Why act like I am for just one day?
Awww... my ticker didn't work.  Back to the drawing board!

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Your wedding is supposed to reflect who you and your FH are, tattoos and all. I have a tattoo, which won't show, but am planning to get one before the wedding, which will. My FH has tattoos on his arms, back, chest, neck, etc and some of those will show. We are not going to try to cover them in the least! Nor are we expectin any of our wedding party to cover theirs. It's part of who we are and they signify parts of our lives which we're joining together. You shouldn't be ashamed of your tattoos (which you don't sound like you are) and you should be proud to show off that extension of your personality. Wear a strapless!!! They're gorgeous. I want a strapless too! :)

Who cares what the traditionalists think?! Is it their wedding??

Not all who wander are lost

Melimel33 Posts : 10 Registered: 8/18/09
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 11:56 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Absolutely do not cover them up! It's who you are! If anyone at your wedding has a problem with it then "oh well!" They aren't marrying you and living with you for the rest of their life.

Have fun with it! Maybe even wear some bright color shoes or something fun...or not, you can just be all elegant from head to toe, tattoos and all! Either way you will look beautiful on your day.

"It only took a moment to know that I would love you for the rest of my life, but it would take a lifetime to tell you all the reasons why."

TillySoCali Posts : 1 Registered: 10/12/12
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

I am getting married next month and many people have asked me if I am covering my chest tattoo. My immediately answers have been "No, I got them for a reason and I have no reason to hide it."

I almost feel embarrassed for people who have been asking me this. In a way they are sort of judging how a bride should look. What's wrong with a tattoo. Nothing. I have no secrets and everyone, grandpa to kids already know I have this.

I am not a traditional person, therefore, I don't have to be traditional. I don't have to hide and you don't have to hide any part of yourself either.
http://www.sailorgirlfriend.com

Edited by: TillySoCali on Oct 12, 2012 1:31 PM

Catherine88 Posts : 170 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 12, 2012 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Since you want to go with a strapless,you should insist on your idea!A strapless dress can show your tattoos perfectly!Believe yourself!You are the most beautiful bride in your big day!

kalama Posts : 299 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 13, 2012 2:40 AM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

I love a line wedding dress,because it looks so elegant,my sister bought one when she married,I had a try,really nice!Here it is http://www.asapbay.com/lace-sweet-chapel-train-sweetheart-ivory-a-line-wedding-dress-b12046.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 4867 is just $329.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine