centerpieces

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

hfdc1015 Posts : 6 Registered: 7/2/09
centerpieces
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 10:35 PM

Hey everyone!

I'll be getting married in October 2010. I was wondering if anyone knew any good books or websites for do it yourself centerpieces? I've talked to a few people who have said a good way to save money on flowers is to make centerpieces instead of buying flowers for each table. I want them to look beautiful though so I need some ideas.
Thanks,
Heather :o)

communist Posts : 26 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: centerpieces
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 4:32 AM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

Hello,

Check out online wedding stores there you can find good ideas for centerpieces.

Regards,
sarah_9

Wedding Accesories

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

Hobby Lobby and Michaels both have DIY wedding books; however, for centerpieces, don't be 'married' to floral arrangements -- think outside the box.

I learned how to make candles and made little candles in our colors for all of the tables, got mirrors to stick them on, and some silk fall leaves to scatter. They are more table decorations than "centerpieces" per se, as each table will have at least two candles.

The more time you have between now and your wedding, the more bargain hunting time. For example: I have a fall wedding coming up -- so last year when all the fall stuff was on sale 75% off at the stores because Turkey Day had passed and Christmas was on the way, I scooped up some serious bargains. I also wanted white christmas lights on the ceiling -- to represent stars. So I scooped those up after Christmas, at 75% off. Since my theme is also Celtic, I hit the craft stores again on March 18.... so I got a bit of St Pat stuff for my OOT bag decorations.

Hobby Lobby is also notorious for putting things on sale at 50% off. Shop the store, but don't BUY until your section (floral and wedding go on sale all the time) is on sale. And also check sites -- Michaels and Hobby Lobby also frequently post 40% off and 50% off coupons. Our invites were obtained at half off because of those things.

By both DIYing and Bargain hunting, I was able to save money.

Don't be afraid to eBay and to tackle some projects. I DIYd my veil too, by getting practice tool and cheap beads, then when I had a good solid design and skill, I ordered expensive beads (from eBay, so they were not really expensive) and got busy on my veil.

But what is your theme? Tie your centerpiece more to the theme. For example: If it is nautical, shop the yard sales for boats, clean them up and paint them in your colors. It will be a lot more interesting than flowers (because even silk can get pricey, since you don't really want them to look like the cheap fake flowers)

Misty

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

Try your local library first. There are usually books in the crafts section on flower arranging!

My Planning Blog

hfdc1015 Posts : 6 Registered: 7/2/09
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

I actually didn't mean using flowers. I want to use candles or something to that affect so I can skip buying flowers for each table. :)

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

We did the same thing, we used candles and vases filled with water that had floating candles. I bought scrapbook paper in our colors and layered them on the tables to give them some color. I got all my stuff at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, they ALWAYS have sales on things and if you get bridal magazines they tend to have coupons in there too! The nice thing about this is you can either reuse some of the vases for home decoration, or sell them to other brides. I'm going to use the remaining scrapbook paper for a scrapbook of some of our wedding/reception/honeymoon pics, so it has double use. I just wanted something functional, resuable or resellable!! Here's a pic of ours so you can see what we did. We also had everyone's place cards in our colors around the table, so that added more color and "widened" the table. We also had one silver bell on each table that had brown and blue ribbon with a small tag that said "Ring your Bells for the Purcells!!" so something else that spruced up the table!! Even the champagne glasses added to the table, all in all, we loved it, it wasn't too much, not too little, and have the tables a nice glow. Great atmosphere!! But like PP's said, Hobby Lobby and Michaels always has great ideas and sales for things like this! Best Wishes!!!!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

darn double post!!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015

Hello. I dont think you need any books to give you ideas about nonfloral centerpieces. There are plenty of inexpensive options, you only need to go shop around in a few key stores (The Christmas Tree Shops, Michaels craft stores, Target, etc etc), and a bit of imagination. Im a wedding planner in NY / NJ areas, and have helped lots of brides come up with original centerpiece ideas, oftentimes making and putting them together myself. Here is one that I made using pebbles, candles, one rose on each table, and different heights etc....

The ideas and options are really endless depending on what your wedding style, theme,and/or color scheme is, and what overall feel you are going for. (rustic, elegant, casual, etc.) If you give me a bit more of an idea of your venue and style, I can probably give you some options.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 4:57 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

We found cutting flowers out of the centerpieces was an easy way to save some money, but also an opportunity to make things more personal. We used Martha Stewart's photo frame idea:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/photo-centerpiece

This is how it came out:
photo8.jpg picture by steffmacmath
We put one pic of me on one side, one pic of FH on the other, and the third side was the table number. We tried to match up our ages in the photos, so it was us as babies, us in middle school, etc. It was a very fun project, because it was neat to see how the other one looked growing up, and to see how similar our childhoods were.

For the bridal party tables, and our sweetheart table, we had little vases in the frames, to put the bouqets in. I'd say overall, they came out pretty cool. Very unique and personal, but I wouldn't say we necessarily "wowed" anyone!

Good luck!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: hfdc1015
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine