Cake flavors

Online Users: 1,282 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 10

SamnScott10 Posts : 14 Registered: 8/2/09
Cake flavors
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 4:57 AM

Hey all! I'm researching wedding cakes and not really getting anywhere. I have a family member who makes beautiful cakes but they have that bitter aftertaste that some cakes have. I'd like to have her make our wedding cake but I don't know what ingredient she uses for icing that gives it that strange after taste. Anyone have experience with this and know what I need to use instead?? thanks!

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Re: Cake flavors
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: SamnScott10

Hi SamnScott10,

I am not sure what could create a bitter taste in a (presumably) sweet cake. Maybe she makes her own marzipan and uses bitter almonds along with sweet almonds. But this is just a guess.

We did not use marzipan on our cake because even though we like it in small amounts we thought it would be too much on a wedding cake. Instead our bakery used a special kind of fondant (it was vanilla flavoured) with a thin layer of vanilla cream between fondant and cake. It was truly delicious.

As fillings we had apricot, lemon and raspberry for a white biscuit cake.

I hope this helps!

Edited by: anne11235813 on Aug 9, 2009 9:03 AM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: SamnScott10

It's the type of icing that gives the bitter flavor. Fondant icing (the smooth kind used in a lot of pretty, decorative cakes) generally tastes pretty nasty, IMO. To avoid that, you can go with buttercream icing - but it's not as malleable as fondant, so you won't get the smooth look and your options for decoration are more limited. Another issue with buttercream icing is that it might melt if it's exposed to high temperatures, so if you're having an outdoor wedding in the summer, you might want to keep it refridgerated until just before you cut it.

My advice is to talk to your family member about different types of icing and explain that you don't care for the taste of fondant (a lot of people don't). If she is a professional baker, she'll be able to advise you on other options. If she's not a professional baker and only knows how to decorate cakes with fondant, you might want to go with a different baker. But the bitterness you're referring to is probably the fondant icing - you'll probably love buttercream, but you have to understand its limitations. There are many beautiful cakes made with buttercream icing, but it can't do certain types of designs that need to be done with fondant.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

anne11235813 Posts : 58 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I am not very experienced with fondant as I only tasted the one used for our wedding cake, but it was not a bit bitter or nasty. It was really good.

However, our bakery told us that it was a special kind of fondant and unfortunately I don't remember the name.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: anne11235813

I actually think it's the food coloring she's using in the icing. My mom used to make cakes, and in particular, the red, black, dark blue, and purple icings (all deep dark colors) were wayyyyy too bitter for me. Suggest just the boxed kind from the baking dept. at Walmart intead of the actual Wilton Cake-Baking kind, if that makes sense. It's cheaper, comes in liquid drops...anyone know what I'm talking about?
My Planning Blog

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Yes, I think it's the food coloring too. When my kindergarteners bring in those neon frosted cupcakes from Wal-mart I can taste it. Light colors it's harder to taste.

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 10:28 PM Go to message in response to: SamnScott10

I know two people who make a lot fo cakes. One says that she doesn't like to use dark colored icings (as a PP mentioned) because it changes the taste. The other says that she put apricot preserves (it has to be a certain kind) into her cakes because it will cut the sweetness of the cake some. I'm not sure but you might want to ask your aunt about that.

nejnej261 Posts : 68 Registered: 5/20/08
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: SamnScott10

Do you know what kind of icing she uses? Buttercream can have a strange after taste when it is made with too much crisco. That can be remedied by doing half butter and half crisco. If it is a different type of icing then the other posters could be right about the food coloring changing the flavor. You can always try to make some different icings, or have your friend make different icings to see which ones you like the best. When you get your wedding cake from a bakery they also let you taste test to decide which you prefer. If your friend can do that for you it may make it easier to find one you like without having to say I do not like the aftertaste of your icing.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Aug 10, 2009 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: nejnej261

What I was trying to say was that she should use these:

See full size image

Not these:

The former will be a lesser color payoff but better taste, while the latter makes excellent vibrant colors but tastes like....idk what, but something very not good.
My Planning Blog

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: SamnScott10

I have a mini cake business in addition to my regular job and I agree with the PP about the food colouring potentially being the problem. Fondant doesnt actually taste like anything usually unless extra flavouring is added (vanilla, alor if it's marshmallow based (in which case it tastes like marshmallows). What some people don't like about fondant is actually the dough-like texture, but they confuse that with not liking the taste.

Buttercream on the otherhand really ranges in taste depending on how it was made. The following have a really big effect: shortening vs. butter, water vs. milk vs. cream, food colouring choice, general freshness. And some buttercreams use egg whites (swiss meringue buttercream for example) and as a result don't stay fresh as long as shortening based buttercream (even in the fridge). So any number of things can impact how the icing tastes, but an experienced baker/decorator should be able to make a tasty product regardless.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

SamnScott10 Posts : 14 Registered: 8/2/09
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 2:06 AM Go to message in response to: Agape14

Thanks for the tips everyone!! I'm still going back and forth with deciding on using her or just going professional as I don't want to end up stuck with a bitter tasting cake and I'm probably much safer with a professional. She's in her 70s and has been making cakes the same way for years. I just don't know if she would be receptive to me criticizing her cakes so probably better to just spare the relationship and shell out the dough...
wedding countdown

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine