Posted: Aug 4, 2009 10:39 AM

No longer needed

Edited by: kathaeleen on Aug 13, 2009 8:36 AM

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: destination wedding plus honeymoon
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 1:30 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Dear Kathaeleen,

From the State Dept website:

Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations states, in part, that if you are certified to Passport Services by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to be in arrears of child support payments in excess of $2,500, you are ineligible to receive a U.S. passport .

You are marrying someone in arrears of child support of more than $2500?

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

deleted. response to auntofthebride is unnecessary

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Thank you for your destination suggestions!!

Kathaeleen
Not all who wander are lost

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Dear Kath,

Oh, I do apologize. A man who would stiff his own kid sounds like wonderful husband material.

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Did you look into a resort in Florida? What about Disney World? I have heard and saw on TV their weddings look beautiful! What about a resort in the either of the Carolinas? I have also heard Lake Tahoe is nice:
http://www.tahoesbest.com/Weddings/resortslodging.htm

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

-Dr Seuss

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

After some googling, I stumbled accross this site:

http://www.unforgettablehoneymoons.com

They have a section dedicated to destination weddings that include accomodations, a ceremony package, and say that they can add your flight from any U.S. city to the package as well. The only destination location they offer that you would be able to go to, however, is Hawaii.

That being said, I'm sure you'll be able to find other companies that offer similar packages to compare prices, options, etc. This is just one that I happened upon.

Good luck with your planning =]

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

This comment has been deleted.

Kathaeleen

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Aug 9, 2009 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Hi Kathaeleen - I got married in Hawaii and can't think of a better location (okay, so I'm a little biased) :)

Is there any particular reason you want to book everything together? That is very unusual. If you find a company that does it, I suggest you check them out on the BBB.

In terms of Hawaii, there are six unique islands all with different things to offer. The most popular islands to visit are Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii. My suggestion is that you start by picking an island. The best way to pick an island is by figuring out what you want to do when you get there...every island has great beaches but there's so much more to do on every island. To figure out which island is best for you, check these great resources:
-get a free Hawaii trip planner from the state of Hawaii at http://www.gohawaii.com/
-take Shawn to Barnes & Noble (or whatever bookstore is near you) and flip through the Revealed series of books by Andrew Doughty (in the travel section). There are Revealed books for the four most popular islands to visit and they list nearly every attraction/activity plus offer great info on the vibe of each island - it's really the only guidebook you'll when you pick your island. The website for the books is http://www.wizardpub.com/

The most cost-effective island to visit is Oahu for a couple reasons. First, it has the aviation hub of the entire Hawaiian islands chain in Honolulu, most flights go in/out of Honolulu so it's generally the least expensive place to fly into. Oahu also has the most options for hotels (most are in Waikiki) so lots of places competing for your dollars. Oahu also has the most restaurant options of any island - there's something for everyone and in every budget.

If you choose Hawaii then I suggest you check out the Hawaii message board on The Knot, lots of really helpful gals there all getting married in Hawaii - click the link here to go to the board.

Good luck!

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

MaunaLani,

Thank you for your suggestions! I was thinking about booking it all together mainly out of convenience. It just seems easier to handle everything through one booking than to have to coordinate with several different companies and typically you can get a better price with a package. But, I'm not opposed to it.

I'm gonna check out the knot pages that you mentioned and see what others are planning. We are not totally set on the destination wedding. We're still considering doing it in our church, but really like the idea of having it someplace else.

Thank you again!

Kathaeleen

Edited by: kathaeleen on Aug 9, 2009 2:24 PM

Posted: Aug 12, 2009 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Dear Kath,

"I believe that auntofthebride is prejudice and did not really need a comment back. This comment has been deleted for that reason."

I will proudly go on record as being prejudiced against a man who would bring children into the world, then let the taxpayers support them.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 12:00 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

I believe that auntofthebride is prejudice and did not really need a
comment back. This comment has been deleted for that reason.

So, if you post the reasons you can't leave the country then YES, posters will comment on them.

I don't think this is any way PREJUDICE - it's her opinion and I happen to agree with it.

As a sister of a man paying child support while he has both his kids for the whole summer (and who was recently told he's not the biological father of his daughter - and will STILL pay child support and know she is his) I have NO patience for someone who doesn't pay child support.

Hope you know what you are getting into, that you don't plan on having any kids and that you are happy.

EDIT:

As some things have been pointed out to me elsewhere, there may very well be extraneous circumstances that have resulted in the arrears - my brother had some medical situations and would have been in arrears if my parents would have been unable to pay his support. So in that case - more info would be needed. Which you do not need to provide -

but understand, this is what happens when you throw info out there with no explanation. And this is why I did NOT change my original reply AT ALL, but added an edit.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Aug 13, 2009 12:27 AM

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt there are a lot of reasons for a man to be in arrears on his child support. He doesn't have to be a deadbeat. He could very easily be supporting his children and ran into a bad streak. He could live in the State of New Jersey and be in arrears from the door. In New Jersey child support is retroactive to the day of filing. Court dates can be as far as four months out. If a person is ordered to pay $400 per week effective 4 months ago he is already in arrears. It takes a while to get caught up after that.

I am not saying this is the case with her guy but I wouldn't be so quick to judge. In this case more information is needed before we can make an informed decision.

OP you are not required to put your business out there but know people who may not have been in your situation may not understand it without the added information. Everybody has not walked in your shoes so they don't know your story.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P, People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 8:30 AM Go to message in response to: happydefiant1

Kath-

I saw someone above mentioned Unforgettable Honeymoons and I just wanted to second the suggestion. I used them to arrange my island hop honeymoon in Hawaii and it went off without a hitch. I was very leary of arranging extensive travel plans online but I was able to speak with a live person, the same person as a matter of fact, several times. I would recommend them hands down if you decide to do the destination wedding instead of marrying locally. Just thought I'd offer a personal reference! Good Luck and happy planning!

wedding ticker for myspace

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

comment deleted

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine