Buying a wedding dress. Is online ok?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

TishaLynn Posts : 11 Registered: 6/28/09
Buying a wedding dress. Is online ok?
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 12:34 PM

Hi Everyone. I need some input.

Has anyone ever bought or know some one who has bought online for their wedding dress? Is it a good idea or is it better to go to the store and buy one? Here is my situation...

I have been going to Davids Bridal and trying on dresses. I have a few that are in my top list. There has been 1 dress that sticks out the most. But I have said that I wont make any decisions until my mom and grandmother will be there to see the dresses too. We are supposed to be going in 1week. Davids Bridal also has online buying options. The dress that has stayed at the top of my list is $200.00 less if I buy online. I do have a very small and tight budget, which is why I am considering. But because I dont want a problem with my dress not sure if it is good idea.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Buying a wedding dress. Is online ok?
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 7:59 AM Go to message in response to: TishaLynn

I LOVE your profile picture!

To answer your question I wouldn't buy my wedding dress online. A wedding dress is too important to buy online and then get it in the mail and find out there is something wrong with it or that you can't fit in it. It's better to buy it at a store because that way you can see it on you before you make that pricey decision. That's just my opinion though.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 8:21 AM Go to message in response to: TishaLynn

I would say go to David's try on the dresses you are interested in, see how they fit and then if you can order them online do that. That way you know how the dress will look on you, you are comfortable with the fit and everything and then you can save a few extra bucks to use else where.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 9:12 AM Go to message in response to: TishaLynn

Are you planning on buying it online from David's, or from some random site that makes knockoffs in China?

If you've seen the dress in person at DB and you're just planning on buying it online from the DB website rather than ordering it at the store, that will probably work out Ok. Just make sure you know the correct size, style number, etc. Also, I would not expect DB to honor any sort of store perks (such as free pressing before the wedding, alterations, or discounts on other items purchased there) if you buy the dress online. They are notorious for not honoring those promises when brides DO buy their gowns in the store, so I don't think there's any way they'd honor them for an online purchase.

I would compare the two prices. If they're the same or close, I don't see why you'd prefer to buy online rather than in the store. Personally, I would prefer to buy from the store, if for no other reason than peace of mind. That way, if the dress is damaged during shipping or something like that, THEY will have to deal with it instead of you. That happened to me. My BM's dresses were lost or destroyed during shipping (between the designer and the bridal store). It was just some random, fluke thing: the package was randomly selected for security screening and the contents were destroyed in the process. Two months before the wedding, by the way. The bridal store took care of everything and just generally treated us wonderfully. I was SO GLAD we didn't need to deal with that - it was stressful enough knowing it was going on without having to deal with it myself. Now I don't know whether DB would give you such good service, but from my weird experience, it's absolutely worth it to pay a little more and receive good service. Yeah, situations like mine don't come up often, but the peace of mind is worth it, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if you're thinking of buying a knockoff from ebay, I'd advise against it. Some people have had good experiences, but I've also heard horror stories. I wouldn't be willing to risk it - not on a large purchase like a wedding dress.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

TishaLynn Posts : 11 Registered: 6/28/09
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I would be getting the dress off of the Davids Bridal website. This specific dress is 200 less than the one I did try on in store. And I think it is because it does not have as much pick up as the one in store.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 6:00 PM Go to message in response to: TishaLynn

Sexy Deep Sweetheart with Spaghetti straps Knee-length Organza Cocktail Dress
Save up to 44% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $78.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sexy-deep-sweetheart-with-spaghetti-straps-kneelength-organza-cocktail-dress-p-32631.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine