Makeup trial - advice needed!

Online Users: 1,266 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Marte Posts : 22 Registered: 7/29/07
Makeup trial - advice needed!
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 5:45 AM

I don't wear a lot of makeup usually and have only recently discovered nice makeup (I used to buy mine at H&M). I don't want to pay someone to do my makeup on the big day for several reasons:

1. It's expensive.
2. I'm afraid it will look too much.
3. I'm not that fuzzed about my makeup.

So instead I have decided to purchase some nice makeup and do it myself. Today I decided to give it a trial run. The producs I used were: primer, concealer under the eyes, powder, blusher, eye shadow, eyebrow gel, mascara, lipgloss. This is about seven more products than I usually wear!

Here is the before photo:

And here is the after photo:

What do you expert ladies think? Remember that I am a novice!

I really will appreciate any feedback given, good or bad. :-)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Makeup trial - advice needed!
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: Marte

I am one that does not wear a lot of make up (you can read that to mean that I usually walk around without it) So I do understand 'natural look'

You look pretty without it, so it's not something you NEED on a regular basis...but you do look a little washed out.

Get a nice foundation -- I recommmend hitting Sephora for them to help you match your tone. I bought "CoverFX" for mine. It's light (and not itchy, heavy, "god I have to rub this crap off my face immediately"). (Can you tell how much I adore foundation?) CoverFX is a compressed mineral powder. Do NOT get loose mineral powder for this as it adds a shimmer (good) which will be kinda reflective/shiny in your photos (bad). What I like about the CoverFX is that I can add a little more in trouble areas without it looking cakey on that area or me having to add a lot in all areas to compensate for the trouble spot and make it look balanced.

The blusher you chose is a GREAT color.

Eyeliner. You need this. It will give your eyes better definition. I recommend Urban Decay's line of eyeliners. They just glide on with no pressure at all, so they are much easier to work with. With your tone, try the Bourbon (it's a brown color) (only on top lid, and really fine)

Eyeshadow. I'm not sure what color you used, but it seems like it's a very pale one. Get a nice brown set, if you're wanting neutral. THe one I have is the Cargo's Neutral palatte... and trust me, it can be done to look neutral.

Mascara -- what kind did you use? You don't really need it on the bottom, but try it just on the top lid, in the outside corner. You'll get a nice sexy sweep. (Make sure that whatever you use is waterproof. Put it on. Watch a movie like "We are Marshall". Something that will make you cry. See how it does)

Honestly? You'd be best to go make an appointment for a face do at Sephora EVEN if you have to travel a couple hours to get to one.. They'll show you how to do your make up. Tell them it is for a wedding and you want to look natural. As you do not have foundation or eyeliner, you could buy whatever they put on you But I do really recommend the CoverFX foundation and the Urban Decay eyeliner.

On your day, you want to look like yourself...but you also want to look like a star <G> . You're beautiful without, but if you're going to do it, make it amazing. You CAN do it yourself, with the right tools

Misty

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I agree that you are very pretty without, but I do think the trial looks really good! it just makes you look more fresh and young and lively.

your blush does look nice! very natural with a hint of color
I also like the neutral semi-shiny lip gloss. I would maybe try a touch of lip liner though. You can get some lip liner that is the same (or close to) the natural color of your lips.

I agree with Cat about the mascara and eye liner

I also agree with the comment about a darker eye shadow. I think a nice pink or light kind of maroon/burgandy would look nice on you. Along with a light brown, tan or champagne color too.

FutureSaunders Posts : 95 Registered: 9/18/08
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

ok my honesty opinion!! I do think that your face (after the make-up) looks very clean and soft. It is nice but also in my opinion it looks very plain and bland. I am not sure if that was the look you were going for, but I think you need some color. I know you stated you don't wear a lot of make up but there are so many nice soft colors that you can use on your eyes and your face will still look clean and fresh. You can also go to make-up counters in department stores (MAC, Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, etc) and they will do your make-up for you for free; they will show you how to apply the make-up and what to buy. That way you can see a professional do it and then try it as many times as you want at home. Like you, I am doing my own make-up as well and I want a soft/fresh look, but I am going to need some help putting the colors together. To be new at this I think you did a good job, but I would add some color!

Be Blessed!

WaitingLady Posts : 25 Registered: 4/8/09
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 2:03 AM Go to message in response to: Marte

You have such big, pretty blue eyes! It looks like you've put a really light color on the inside of your eye, where the tearduct is-- good move. I like what you've done-- its a good start. I just thought I'd contribute with a few other ideas you might to try, play around with and see what you like....
Dont know if icy or cool was the look you were going for, but try playing around with a warmer toned lip gloss. It looks nice as is, but if you havent tried a warmer color, see if you like how it looks.
For your eyes, the mascara is good, and your lashes are so long!! If you were thinking of doing a liner, be sure to do a thin line on your upper lid, as CS said, and make the line taper off as you get to the end of where your lashes grow. this will make them seem fuller as well. If you wanted to keep the color on your lids light, try setting it off with a little bit of a darker shade on the crease of your eye, as well as smudged into the outer corner. Makeupgeek has a good tutorial to show how to do that, here.
Be sure to use primer for your face if you're using foundation, and for your eyes too when you wear eye shadow. For foundation, smashbox's photo finish is a good one, and it comes out great in pictures.

For the blush, if you want a more natural look, try doing a very soft dab on your chin and forehead. I personally don't like how it looks on my face, but some people swear by this technique-- just give it a shot and see if you like it.
Your brows look lovely!
What you've done is really refreshing and light-- you look wonderful!

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: Marte

Black Strapless Sweetheart Layered Drape Hi-low Prom Dress With Beads
Save up to 31% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $178.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/black-strapless-sweetheart-layered-drape-hilow-prom-dress-with-beads-p-32379.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine