Finding the Motivation

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Finding the Motivation
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 5:33 PM

I'm curious, what pushed you to get on the right track and stay there?

I've tried over and over and over to get on an exercise regime...and have failed over and over and over. My longest run was 6 months. I had a membership at a gym and I told myself "you're paying for this, so get off your butt and go" and it worked for 6 months. Then, eventually it wasn't enough to convince myself.

I can't wake up early enough to go to the gym in the morning (I wake up at 5am just to go to work), and by the time I get home after fighting traffic, and having to cook and clean and take the dog out, I'm wiped. I know if I got into a routine of exercise I'd have increased energy, but I'd have to find the energy to do it. I have small weights at home that are now collecting dust; a deflated exercise ball, and dvds sitting on the shelf. Why don't I want to use them?

How do you keep your motivation?

My new years resolution this year for once wasn't to get an exercise regime, but to maintain my weight and lose ten pounds. Instead, 4 months later, I have gained 10 lbs. I don't know how to stay motivated. Help. I don't want to keep making excuses anymore.

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Re: Finding the Motivation
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:53 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I understand where you are coming from. It's been hard for me too, because I also get up at 5 just to get to work. However, I get off early enough most times to exercise. The wedding was a big motivater, but now that I look better and feel sexy, I'm going to keep this up! I love the way I feel and look and also it makes me feel great since I have the discipline to stay away from the chocolate which is my biggest downfall. I think it also helps that I have a dog that I like to keep happy and I try to take her for walks so we both get exercise. When the weather isn't the greatest, I dance with zumba which has helped so much! I love dancing and this DVD is fun and challenging! This has all kept me motivated. It's very hard just starting out and hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I went to martial arts for almost a year to WATCH my husband do it. After we got married I thought I'd give it a try since I was looking for a good cardio workout. Boy did I find it. It's hard to keep going but with all the people that go there and you make friendships with, it's hard NOT to go. My motivation is I want to get higher belts and learn more techniques. BUT since my husband is leaving for bootcamp next month, my motivation is that I want to be able to run with him when he gets back. I also want to pass him up in belts!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Our Wedding Website 

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

I feel so lame... I just want to lose five pounds so my dress will fit perfectly. (note: it zips now...and I can breathe, so it's not like I have to lose the weight).

And I would like to get down to a size just above what I wore in High School, so that WHEN we go to an HS reunion, everyone will be appalled that I've not changed <weg>

Of course, as I'm marrying my HS sweetheart and I'm friends with a lot of HS peeps on facebook -- I'd like for our wedding pictures to stand in that stead -- and represent me as the skinny minny I was then.

Yep. Vanity, pure and simple.

But I would like to be in shape....I just don't want to do the work to get there (waaa) <G>

Misty

worldideas Posts : 1 Registered: 5/7/09
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:23 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

It's hard to get motivated and you will want to look your best for the Big Day! The key is small steps for getting into shape. So start small, say with a game of badminton and each week build up a new activity. The fact you are getting fitter and the Big Day will be great motivation.

Good luck.

Tim

World Ideas

<a href="http://www.bargainbrands.co.uk/more.html">Dog ramps from Bargain Brands</a>

NikZilla Posts : 59 Registered: 9/21/08
Posted: May 7, 2009 9:28 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

It's extremely difficult trying to find motivation for excercise. It's a drag for me. I'm a busy mom with a tight schedule. I do the best I can and watch my cals, also I started walking more. Walking helped alot of weight to fall off.
Smilewww.ewedding.com/sites/nackieSmile

Edited by: NikZilla on May 7, 2009 9:29 AM

MrsDeLouis Posts : 167 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: May 8, 2009 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

We2Heart, I hear ya! I've done the whole gym membership thought process too, "I'm paying for this, I'll go." Nope. It lasted about 6 months. Of course in those 6 months I did really well but I paid for it when I stopped going. My motivation factor recently has been health and I just finally said "enough is enough!!!" For being 26 I should not have had a total cholesterol level of 293. I put on 30 pounds over the past few years and I know I just haven't been taking care of myself. The doc obviously isn't happy with me and I knew I had to do something about it. So in the past 8 weeks by cutting out the fast food, cutting waaaaay back on the red meat, adding more chicken and fish, and adding in some nutrisystem for lunch, I've dropped 8 pounds and 100 points on the cholesterol. So there's my motivation. I know now I need to work in some exercise and I should be on the right track.

EditorBree Posts : 7 Registered: 4/22/09
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: We2Heart

Finding the motivation to exercise is a drag. I find it especially hard to motivate myself to execise at home--I think because, once I get there, I just want to sit and relax, not drag out a pilates mat and DVDs. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, even though most times I don't feel like working out. However, I remind myself how disappointed and annoyed with myself I'll feel if I don't work out. I almsot always feel better afterwards, and don't feel so bad for sneaking a piece of chocolate in in the middle of the day! A lot of people say that joining fitness classes or having a workout buddy helps--my FH and I recently started playing squash together, which is fun and quite the good workout! If you're considering pre-wedding ballroom dancing lessons, that's a good workout too:
http://www.newjerseylife.com/beauty/fitness/

The key is to make working out less of a chore--you mentioned you have a dog (I believe)--would the dog go for runs with you? If not, you might also consider volunteering at a local animal shelter (if you have time) to take their dogs for walks/runs. Lots of shelters are pretty overrun these days and would love the help! If you work anywhere where you can get a walk in, take a stroll during lunch. I'm lucky in that I work in a very picturesque small town, so I can take a nice powerwalk around midday every day--it definitely helps break the day up. When I'm home, sometimes I turn on some upbeat music and just dance around the house. The dogs think I'm crazy, but it gets the heart rate up and helps burn calories. Also, I sometimes scatter little workouts throughout the day. I realize this may not be an option for you--I'm fortunate enough to have my own office, so I frequently close the door and do some pilates or dance around to whatever Pandora's playing. It's a nice little mini-break in the middle of the day.

Good luck!

jpersing Posts : 21 Registered: 7/12/09
Posted: Jul 19, 2009 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: EditorBree

I agree with the previous post that you have to make working out less of a chore. Like for instance, walk the dog to a longer path, take the stairs going to your office floor, try lifting heavy groceries one for each hand. I lift weights while watching TV.

Try health eating - cut down on carbonated drinks and sweet beverages and instead try snacking on fruits and nuts.

If all else fails, pick a wedding gown that flaunts your assets and hides the bulges.

One of my friends, tried all natural diet pills from this site http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?pf_id=31469&from=search&find_spec=diet%20pills&camp=200916&dir_delivery=1&rep_delivery=1

(you can see my wedding pictures there too)

Here are my wedding pictures and some wedding budget saving tips http://www.ehow.com/how_4863199_become-own-wedding-planner.html

Love conquers all fears.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine