Name Change Kit

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MsMeghann Posts : 147 Registered: 3/4/08
Name Change Kit
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 10:25 AM

Hi ladies!

I just got married two weeks ago and I'm starting the process of changing my last name. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in using a "name change kit." I've done some googling on the subject and it seems to range from $9-$35 -- something well worth it for me.

I was just wondering if any of you have experience using one or have friends who used a certain kind that they would recommend.

Thanks so much for any advice!

~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
Soon to be Mrs. Scherrer
www.MattandMeghann.com

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Re: Name Change Kit
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: MsMeghann

Personally I found it much easier to just go do it myself! Took less than a half hour at both the social security office and the DMV. Banks I sent a copy of the marriage license and a letter asking them to change my name. All online stuff but Paypal changed my name with a simple email (even some of my credit cards!)

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

MsMeghann Posts : 147 Registered: 3/4/08
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 11:16 AM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

Thanks, Care, but like I said with all of my accounts and the gvt stuff, I have about 17 forms to fill out. Yeah YIKES. So DIY isn't really an option I'm interested in!! But glad you had success with it!

Thanks anyway!

~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
Soon to be Mrs. Scherrer
www.MattandMeghann.com

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jul 11, 2009 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: MsMeghann

You definitely don't need a kit. Changing your name is surprisingly easy. The first thing you have to do is wait in line at the SS office for a new card. After that, you have to go wait in line at the DMV for a new license. A kit can't do either of those things for you - they need to be done in person.

Once you get those two done, everything else is simply a matter of contacting the necessary people who can change it for you. A kit can't call your HR department - you have to do that yourself. For most other bills and accounts, you just fill out a name change form and provide them with a copy of your new license or SS card. It takes a while to get it all done, but it's not hard.

I don't know anything about name-change kits, but they seem like a big ripoff to me. Like I said, changing your name isn't difficult - it just requires you to stand in line at a few places, make some phone calls, and fill out a few forms. The only advantage of a kit that I can think of is that you'll have a checklist to keep you organized. But honestly - you don't need it. Once you make the change on your SS card, driver's license, and with your employer, change the rest of them as you get your monthly bills or statements. You'll notice if something hasn't been changed yet, as the next statement will be mailed to you in your old name.

What on earth does the kit do? Like I mentioned, it can't stand in line to get you new IDs or call your HR dept. I can only assume that it's some kind of service - you fill out one form, in which you give all your account numbers, etc, and then the service changes it for you? If that's the case, I would skip it. I wouldn't be comfortable giving all my financial and personably-identifiable information to a stranger at a random name-change service.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

allisonfoster2B Posts : 65 Registered: 5/9/09
Posted: Jul 12, 2009 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I know what you are going through. I started the name change process the day we got our marrige certificate. And that was about three weeks now. My suggestion is change your SSN first. The DMV won't change theirs till they are done. I am in Japan....so it is taking me a little longer. I have used almost a whole book of stamps tryting to get everything done.

Good luck

AllisonWink

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I know this thread is old....but I changed my name 3 times. One for my first marraige....when that ended I changed my name back to my maiden name....and then again changed my name when I remarried (hyphenated). I MIGHT drop the hyphenation because it is more of a Pain in the Ass than anything.

Anyway I was in the Army all of those times and no "kit" is going to replace the forms that the government requires you to fill out. Just about every business has its own set of forms or requirements they need for you to change your name...so one "standard" form isnt going to do it.

The Social Security office is the first place to start!

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I bought a name change kit for $25 because I was overwhelmed about where to start. The list of who to contact gave me a place to start, but once I had that, the kit was really just a waste of money b/c now I had the info I needed.

Everyone else is right: the biggest stuff is changing it with social security and the DMV. And maybe your bank. With everything else--your credit card companies, utility accounts, etc.--it's a matter of a phone call.

preview image

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine