Birth Control Blues NOW UPDATED

Online Users: 1,278 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 33

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Birth Control Blues NOW UPDATED
Posted: Jul 7, 2009 11:16 PM

Soooooo ladies, I am not sure if this is a vent, a hate, or a random bored post. We'll go with ALL since I can't decide.

I've been on BC since I was 18 mainly because A- I was having sex and B- to regulate my periods. I would have random spotting, missed cycles (a terror for a sexually active teenager lol), and my acne would act up.

I started out on Ortho Tri Cyclen. After it started to make me grumpy in my early 20s (21, 22), I switched to Ortho TC Lo. I think my body is now over this BC as well. Instead of it helping my mild breakouts around my cycle, I think now it's making it worse. I've never had acne on my body. The last 3 months I have noticed a few areas breaking out on my back when I'm on my period. I've been spotting VERY irregularly the week prior to period and about 1.5 weeks after. I've also been more moody (something also out of the usual). All of these symptoms are listed as a reaction to the Ortho. Bah! WTF gives? I never miss a pill or take it at weird times. 11pm everyday.

I'm annoyed because I like being on the pill. Please, no talk of IUDs or Rings. Ugh. I can't stand the thought of something foreign in my body that long. So, the only other FDA approved acne BC besides Ortho and Ortho Lo is Yaz. I'm wondering if anyone else has taken it, knows someone who has, etc. My annual PAP is this month so I'm gonna talk to doc about a change, but I want to be well informed first.

Btw- I decided this is a vent/request for help. lol

wedding ticker

Wedding pics at www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Birth Control Blues (Yaz anyone?)
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I had similar experiences with Ortha Tri Cyclen and the Tri Cyclen Lo. I was cranky, achey and nauseous all the time.

Then I was on Yaz for about 9 months. It was excellent for acne and mood swings. My biggest problem with it was the spotting. Instead of having a normal period during the placebo week, I would have 3 or 4 days of spotting every 2 weeks. After a while, I got kind of sick of that, so I switched.

I am on Femicon now. I am really happy with it. I don't believe that its approved for acne, but it seems to help mine. Mood swings are pretty much in check with it. Instead of being the devil the first 3 days of my period, I am a little fussy the first day. Its also chewable - that was strange to me at first, but now it kind of reminds me of a Flintstone's vitamin.

I know that everyone reacts differently to certain pills. Talk to your doctor. Hopefully he will be able to work something out with you.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Yaz helped save my relationship with DH!

I was on the Ortho-trycyclen Lo starting at age 18 and once I turned about 21, I went loopy. I was moody, acting way out of character and would cry on the spot at nothing. DH (then FH) didn't know who I would be each week. My doctor switched me to Yaz and I've been fine ever since. If I miss a pill, I do get a little cranky when I make it up, but its not enough to make me doubt the product.

Yaz also helped with my PMS (only 1 day now!) and I have lighter cycles (from 3-5 days to 2 days at most). Plus, my skin did clear up a little bit.

It does take a little getting used to going from a tri-cycle to a single dose system. You may feel a little off at first, but I was fine after a few weeks.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

If spotting is a concern, what about Yazmin? (AKA, the higher dose of Yaz). I've been on Yazmin since I started taking pills for acne/cramps/migraines/everything when I was 15 or 16. I've NEVER spotted on it, even when I was in college and sucked at taking the pill anywhere near the same time every day. I've usually even been able to miss a pill, take two the next day and have no spotting.

I tried Yaz for a year on my doctor's recommendation and asked to be switched back to Yazmin. I found that it was REALLY sensitive to being taken at exactly the right time. (At least for me). I also had a lot more trouble moving or skipping an occasional period. I could only move the period sooner, whereas with Yazmin, I can delay or skip entirely (say, for example, next month for my wedding and honeymoon).

jbear Posts : 73 Registered: 9/18/06
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Another thing to consider- generics.

Are you really taking ortho-tri cyclen lo, or are you taking a generic? Either way, you might be fine if you switch from one to the other. Even though the medications are supposed to be the same, the fillers and such are different, and tend to cause different reactions in people.

You might be fine just be adjusting to the name brand, or a different generic.

For example, I always took ortho-cyclen, but once I was out of town and realized I had forgotten my pills. My doctor sent a prescription to a local pharmacy, and they filled it with the generic. I thought it would be no big deal, and hey- let's save a little money.

Nope. I had so much nausea... not good! When I switched back at home, the new side effect was gone like magic.

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I have never tried Yaz (it's too expensive, no insurance) but I wanted to tell you that I love the Nuva Ring and have been using it for over 6 months now. It stays in place, I don't have to make sure I take it everyday, and it's convenient. I guess I'm the opposite of you- I hated being on the pill because it was hard for me to remember to take it everyday.

When I first started using BC I was on ortho-Tri Lo and hated it. I would literally have heavy periods for 2-3 weeks out of the month, it was aweful. I hope Yaz works for you, it is suppose to help acne. Good luck :)

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 6:03 PM Go to message in response to: His4life

The first thing that my doc put me on was Yaz. I hated it. My periods last at least 10 days. I had horrible mood swings, to the point that I honestly don't know why my DH put up with me then. It really messed up my system all together. The only up side to it was that it did help my face from breaking out.

I have a cousin and a few friends who tried Yaz, and they all had the same problems. Some of them even told me that they gained weight while on Yaz.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 10:01 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Someone mentioned generics. I know I'm on a generic form for mine.

They originally started me out with a 3 month trial of Reclipsen, which was okay, but I noticed my hair was 'shedding' a little more than normal... when I went in before my surgery I was almost done with my 3 month trial so I requested a refil, so my doctor gave me 6 months worth of Lutera tabs, which is a slightly lower dose of hormones than the Reclipsen tabs (which were also low dose).

I don't know about how it is for acne, as I've never had really bad acne, but I noticed my periods usually last about 3 days and are very light - they're almost too light for my liking, as I've always had a pretty heavy flow for a day or 2, but I feel weird complaining about my period being too light, lol... also, my cramps arent as bad as they used to be either. I haven't really noticed any side effects either.

Friends since December 1997, together since December 2006
September 13, 2008 I legally became his and he became mine.

I tend to write long posts - short and simple doesn't exist with me!
That's how I am, take it or leave it.

MovieBits - your source for reviews, news and more!
www.moviebits.blogspot.com

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Have you tried Ortho-Cyclen? It has less hormones than Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Tri-Cyclen Lo. That's what I'm on, and just wanted to offer another option.
I am on a generic of Ortho-Cyclen called MonoNessa, which works fine for me, but for some reason our insurance switched me to a different generic (it was also a generic of Ortho-Cyclen) which oddly did not work for me at all. It made me too emotional, and I was stressing out and getting depressed about things I normally wouldn't have. I briefly switched to the name brand, which worked fine, then finally switched back to the MonoNessa as it is a much cheaper co-pay.
So as jbear said, being on a generic of the same medication CAN still give you unwanted side effects. Maybe find out what your options are for switching brands. Good luck! :)

beachlovingbride Posts : 5 Registered: 7/9/09
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I'm new and really late on this, but I pretty much had the same experience as you. I started off on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and after about 2 years I started randomly spotting. My doctor said maybe my body was getting too used to the pill and switched me to Estrostep. I didn't realize it until after I was off of it (2 years later), but that pill was horrible for me. My periods were regulated, but I had horrible mood swings (crying in the mall when shoes weren't in my size type stuff). My doctor switched me to Yaz after that. For the first 5 months I had no desire to have sex or do anything intimate at all. Then after the 5 months, it was just gone. I was back to normal. I didn't have any real side effects of the pill until I was on it for 3 years. Then I started getting horrendous migranes when I was supposed to be ovulating and then for 3 days before my period. I'm now on Ocella (the generic form of Yasmin) and its not too bad. For the first time ever, I get cramps and I get headaches instead of migranes but its nothing I can't deal with.

Stephy77 Posts : 109 Registered: 9/2/08
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: beachlovingbride

I also am on ocella the generic form of yasmin and my doc switched me to it becasue I couldn't stand getting PMS symptoms and acne and it works great for me.

missbride2010 Posts : 16 Registered: 4/20/09
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I went on orthotricyclen when i was 16 and it was terrible!! i was nausceous 24/7 and it stopped me from going to school. A few months later i switched to loestrin, not any better. i stayed off the BC for a while and when i went in for my check up at 18 yrs old- it was decided id have to find something that worked for me. Im terrified of shots- that wasnt an option. The implant was something i'd researched, but even my 49 yr old OBGYN was scared to use that herself. She knows I do not cope well with pain. Then she explained the Nuvaring to me. I was terrified, but it was my last option. I never wore tampons, they scared me. I decided to give the ring a chance. It changed my lifee!! Ever since I started using it, i get the most predictable periods, my acne had subdued, and im just happy, no mood swings!! My terrible ongoing cramps had disappeared also. I completely understand the nervousness of it. But I completelyy recoment you try the NuvaRing. :)
~Sarah

MissNeudorf Posts : 1 Registered: 7/3/09
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: missbride2010

I am new on here as well, but..
I wasn't on Yaz for a month before I started showing symptoms... I had a panic attack literally once an hour.
BUT you need to remember that every woman is different. BC releases the hormones that you pituitary glad produces when you are pregnant, and this will be different for every woman. This will also change as your body matures. The key is to finding what combination of hormones is right for you. For me, there was too much progesterine, which is what effectes the emotions.
I am now on Alesse. It does not control my acne the way i wish it would, but I am myself, and I am regular. So I guess it is about finding what is most important to you, while finding the balance of hormones that fits your body.
Good luck.

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: MissNeudorf

I'm late to my own thread. Thank you all so much for responding. I am on the brand name Ortho tri cyclen lo. Let me clarify that I do not have bad acne. The only times I have any breakouts is closer to my period. Usually it's just a couple of spots along my jawline. Since I've been having what I feel is a negative reaction to the BC, my periods are not longer regulated at all. My back has breakouts. I just feel weird. Really freaking weird.

I did try Yasmin the year before DH and I starting dating. At that time, I really liked it. I just didn't have insurance coverage so I had to switch back to Ortho tri Cyclen.

I can't remember who posted that they were OK with Ortho at 21 but then at 23ish started freaking out. That's what I feel like is happening. I was on Ortho regular from 19-21. 22 Yasmin. 23 Ortho tri Cyclen reg. 24-27 Ortho Lo. At least for the past 3-6 months is when I've just been having kooky symptoms and feelings. I thought it was wedding related. Finally, DH was the one who said during one of the Yaz commercials "I think you have that." I thought he was joking. Then he mentioned it again saying I was just acting strange.

Yes, I plan on talking to my doctor. Yes I have insurance coverage now so I can take Yasmin or Yaz or any other kind of BC.

Someone mentioned Nuva Ring. My gf takes that and loves it. I just can't do it.

wedding ticker

Wedding pics at www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Kimmmy Posts : 4 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Jul 10, 2009 4:32 AM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I've been using mirena. It's great actually, no hormones and there's no pill to take. It was just inserted and I don't think about it. It lasts up to 5 years too.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine