Beginning to End

Online Users: 1,343 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

monica09 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/22/09
Beginning to End
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 9:19 PM

Hello,
My name is Monica Slowe and I'm engaged. My wedding date is Nov. 14 2009 and I really don't know where to begin. My fiancee just informed me that I'm looking at 400-500 people on his side. I was trying to start a budget but where do I begin. Please help me

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Re: Beginning to End
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: monica09

400-500 guest? How does anyone know let alone like that many people. I have no clue how you plan for that many people. On my budget they would all be eating off the 79 cent taco bell value menu. Do you have a venue that can fit that many guest?
wedding tickers

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Jun 22, 2009 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: monica09

That's a lot of people from just one side! I think it's best to figure out your budget first, select a venue, then do your guestlist. Your going to be limited for venues with that many people, plus your budget may limit you too.

MrsDeLouis Posts : 167 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 7:22 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Congrats on your engagement!!!!
Knowing a guest list count is one thing, but you have to have an idea on budget first. An approximate per head price is about $70-80 and that varies greatly from state to state and venue to venue. But like pp's said, you are going to be limited on your venues with that many on just one side alone, most likely large hotels with grand ballrooms. Start with budget and decide if you can even feasibly have that many invited. Remember, you don't have to invite everyone you and your FH have known since kindergarten.

CoutureBride27 Posts : 130 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 7:36 AM Go to message in response to: monica09

Hi Monica, congrats on your engagement! Ermmm ... 500 guests just for he's side, that seems a bit much doesn't it? Well if you're able to afford it good for you, but perhaps it's not realistic. I'd sit down and have a chat and start drafting your guest list. You'll have 2 to begin with, one for the bride (family and friends) and then groom (family and friends). The first things to look at booking:

1. Venue and Church or place where ceremony will be held;
2. Designer for gown if not off the rack;
3. Photographer / Videographer;
4. Entertainer (DJ and other).

If you're having such a big wedding, I would also suggest getting a wedding planner.
: )

Cherish all your happy moments:  they make a fine cushion for old age.

**Christopher Morley**

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: monica09

Monica, all of the PPs have given good suggestions. But also, do you know yet how much money you will have to put toward the wedding or where you will be getting the money? You and FH can't plan to invite 500+ people unless you know whether you can actually afford it, so what you need to do first is shop around to different reception venues in your area, get prices as a PP said, and then you'll have a starting point since the venue and food is the most expensive and important part of hosting a wedding.

Coutoure made a good list to start from, too. If you plan to have elaborate flower arrangements, I would add flowers to the list, too, of things to start pricing.

Once you have prices on things, you'll be able to figure out whether you can actually afford all those guests or if you need to cut back.

preview image

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 10:27 AM Go to message in response to: monica09

Welcome to the boards. Is your wedding really November 14, 2009? Planning a 500+ wedding in less than 5 months is almost a full time job. I would consider hiring a planner. I happen to be a planner (not looking for a job with this post) and I would really feel like I was very late with most elements of your wedding. Honestly if you and FH do not want a planner I would consider setting a new date. If you don't want to do that then I would let FH know that you are going to need him to help, and I mean help a lot! This is a lot of work for one person to do in such a short time frame. here is what I would do:

1. Set the guest list and budget. With 500 people and a Saturday wedding you will need a substantial budget. As far as the guest list goes, how many people do you want to invite? This needs to be an agreement between you and FH. I was a little surprised when I read "my fiancee just informed me that I'm looking at 400 - 500 people on his side." First of all this is something you need to decide together and second why is he informing you? Maybe it was just the way you worded it but it came across as your FH letting you know how much work you were going to have to do.

2. Get your venue/s book, both ceremony and reception, although having both at one location would be preferable so you have less worries about transportation

3. Vendors - caterer if there isn't one at the venue, baker, florist, dj, tranportation, salon, photographer. Most likely these vendors will want a deposit when you book and quite often its 50%

4. More vendors - brides dress (its recommended at least 6 months out), bridemaid dresses, grooms attire, groomsmens attire, any other attire - flower girl, ring bearer, mother of bride, mother of groom etc.

5. Details - cake tasting, catering tasting, misc shopping - favors, cake cutters, ring pillow, flower girl basket, wedding party gifts, invitations and other stationary such place cards, programs, menu cards, thank you cards

6. Organization - have a folder with vendor contracts, a timeline leading up to the wedding and the day of the wedding, your budget, and contact info - wedding party, guests and vendors

As you can see there is a lot to be done and this is a brief summary leaving out a lot of details. Without a lot of help I think you will be pretty stressed. Good luck!

Babilu Posts : 26 Registered: 9/9/08
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: monica09

Congrats on your engagement! My wedding will be big as well. We'll be sending out about 850 invitations, but you have to remember that a lot of people won't be able to make it. So out of the 500 guests your fiance wants to invite...MAYBE 300 - 350 will show.
However, I would first find out what your budget is and then work from there. I recommend taking off people you barely know, or haven't spoken to in a while. You can also limit your guests from bringing someone else, and so on. In the end, if you don't have the money to feed 500 people, then hey, you'll HAVE to take people off the list. What else are you going to do? Take out a loan and put yourself into debt? I don't think so.
Your fiance just seems to be overly excited over this, and is not thinking reasonably. Once money is on the table, he'll humble up!

Much love!

Korina Posts : 11 Registered: 12/16/08
Posted: Jul 4, 2009 8:49 AM Go to message in response to: monica09

400-500 people is alot and it can get very over whelming.

First what i would do is sit down with your FH and cut some of the people that are not close friends or family and if that still leaves you with a high number then cut the budget from some where else, maybe instead of spending thousands of dollars on a dress you can get a dress that looks great but also a money saver.

Congrats on your wedding and bonne chance!

<3 because you want to........fall in <3 becasue you want

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: monica09

Sexy Deep Sweetheart with Spaghetti straps Knee-length Organza Cocktail Dress
Save up to 44% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $78.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sexy-deep-sweetheart-with-spaghetti-straps-kneelength-organza-cocktail-dress-p-32631.html

Catherine88 Posts : 170 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 26, 2012 12:08 AM Go to message in response to: monica09

Congratulations!I didn't engage,so i do not know how to solve this problem.I think the first thing,you should keep a cool head, then ask to the periphery experienced friends!Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine