Those who go to the tanning bed

Online Users: 1,364 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Those who go to the tanning bed
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 6:00 PM

Any tips/tricks??

I've been like 5 times and i've tried to go every 2 days. Yet I STILL have tan lines :( I wore shorts TWICE this year yet I still have a faint tan line from that too. Then from my tank tops which is a bit more visable.
These will eventually go away right??

I'm using a tanner/bronzer to help a bit too.

Although I went this morning and now I have a VERY painful swollen spot right above my butt :( It doesn't hurt like a sunburn. It's like a pins and needles type of pain. It's just two red swollen odd feeling spots. I took a shower pretty much right after I got home (did my ab workout since I couldn't do it at the gym). I don't know wtf is happening but my god it's one of the worst feelings ever :( I always put lotion on.. I put more on.. then some ice.. ice helped a little but not much.

:(

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Re: Those who go to the tanning bed
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I got a sweet farmers tan two weeks before our wedding which would've looked great with my strapless dress. I have a tanning membership at our gym, and I just went every other day (max 3 times a week) and it faded in. Make sure you are using an accelerator lotion (they usually sell them at the salon). It's very bad to tan without lotion on. I'm not sure what the painful spot is, but if you feel yourself getting sunburned, it's better to take a couple of days off than to tan on top of it. By no means am I a tanning expert, just a very pale blonde girl who needs a base coat for the summer, so others may have more insight.

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I broke out in hives one time when I tanned...well I should have never listened to the teenybopper that worked there and said "you should go up another minute" anyway benedryl lotion works to help with the itch

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

FMrsJG Posts : 77 Registered: 2/21/08
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

ice?! what are you doing with ice and tanning? if you are getting burned you shouldn't be tanning!!! i work at a tanning salon and i'm not sure what you're talking about with ice.. plus if you take a shower afterwards you're basically wasting your bronzer. Bronzers work even after you tan (no you're not washing off your tan...thats not possible) but bronzers have chemicals that work afterwards as well and so you're washing off the chemicals if you're showering after you use a bronzer.

The spots could be an allergic reaction to the tanning...each person is different when it comes to tanning. are you takin ANY TYPE of meds? are you using a certain face soap or body soap that is sun sensitive? those can be factors...even if not, your body can still have an allergic reaction to the tanning bed. like i said, tanning is different which each person.

as far as the tanning issue. if you're not burning, go every other day....bronzers are good. if you're going into bronzing beds (your basic tannin beds), then you are starting to tan your BOTTOM layer of skin and over time this is what helps your skin keep a tan b/c you're building it from the bottom up. if you go into a redding (higher watt beds) bed then you are tannin the TOP layer of skin but that tan wont last as long.

Also keep in mind...you're gonna have tan lines cuz you're tanning over the tanned skin which is going to make it darker than your untanned skin.

have you tried spray tanning?

JennHatesWaiting Posts : 74 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 8:27 PM Go to message in response to: FMrsJG

Do a spray tan. Seriously its so worth it. You can either go to a salon and have someone physically spray you with an airbrush or go to a salon that has a Mystic Tan or VersaSpa. I use the VersaSpa, yeah its kinda pricey, but its worth it. Just don't go past level 2, even if the tanning people say so!

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:29 AM Go to message in response to: JennHatesWaiting

I still have 2 months to even out my tan. But if I still have the tan lines up top i'll probably do the VersaTan since it's at the place I go to. I found out tanning after working out feels oh so good!!

I had ice on the spot that was swollen and hurting. It's not burnt because it's totally gone now. It finally hit me that the spot was in the same shape as the part of my underware so I changed. It didn't go away until this morning though. I have NO idea what happend.

I guess I need to start going to the gym then all the way home to shower then back out to the tanning bed. Thats a bummer. Is it better to put the tanning lotion on before I leave to go there so it gets to obsorb into my skin a bit more? Or will my clothing wipe it off??

I know a lot of questions i'm sorry. I really have only tanned once before and I was never really consistant with it.

WinterBride6602 Posts : 33 Registered: 4/13/09
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:45 AM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

If you used a lay-down style bed, it might have been the spot where your back/butt area makes contact with the acrylic....this would sometimes irritate me also. Also for getting better color....I'd stay away from bronzers since they have a tendency of looking orange (after all it is a self tanner), and just use a pure accelerator. My fave is Swedish Beauty's Chocolate Silk! It will keep you moisturized and will get you darker faster.

As for going what order to do things (gym, shower)....I would just go to the gym, then go tan, and then shower. If you aren't using a bronzing lotion anyway, you can shower right away anyway. Plus I hear going to the gym first gets your blood flowing and can actually help you tan (they even make tanning lotions with a "tingly" sensation that is supposed to get your blood flowing for the same reasons).

Couple other tips: make sure you wear eye protection every time, if you dye your hair invest in a tanning cap otherwise your color will fade, and moisturize moisturize moisturize after you shower, it will help keep your tan longer!

I used to be a tanning junkie (now, only for special occasions) so I know quite a bit on the subject lol....let me know if you have any more ?s.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 2:35 PM Go to message in response to: WinterBride6602

Eh I just spend $50 on this lotion so i'm going to have to use it! I used a tingler lotion a long time ago (sample) and wasn't impressed. Actually the woman at the tanning bed only offerd me the tingler lotion or bronzer. She said the bronzer should help get rid of the tan lines a bit better. I have yet to see that but then again i've been washing it off right after.

I better get going to the tanning bed then!! Got back from the gym and took a shower and wanted to see if I should apply the lotion now or when I get there.. might just do it now and do a bit of a touch up when I get there or something.. I have no idea.. lol

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine