Will non-professional makeup application really make me look washed out?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

vlbastek Posts : 1 Registered: 5/14/09
Will non-professional makeup application really make me look washed out?
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 2:07 PM

Hi ladies!

I'm getting married in May 2010 and have started looking around for hair and makeup ideas. I'm a minimilist when it comes to makeup...I wear it, but lipstick usually comes off within the first minute of me putting it on! My fiance absolutely HATES all the pictures we've seen of brides with professional makeup applications-it's not his style or mine, and we're looking for ways to keep things as casual and natural as possible.

As I'm thinking about how to do my makeup for the big day, I wanted to get everyone's feedback on brides who do their own makeup. Does it really make the pictures look worse, or is that just what people tell you when they want to sell you their services?

Anyone know anyone who did their own makeup? Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

MrsKG Posts : 115 Registered: 10/5/08
Re: Will non-professional makeup application really make me look washed out?
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

I am also doing my own makeup, and I don't think that just because you do your own makeup you'll look washed out, people probably just say that to sell you! I do, however believe that it all depends on the type of makeup you use! For example, I have been told by quit a few people that mineral makeup looks good in person, but whatever's in it makes you look washed out in pictures. I don't normally wear much makeup either, and I never wear foundation. So I went to Sephora and asked a consultant that worked there for recommendations and they sell a foundation that I have been telling everyone about by Smashbox that's "photo finish" and I LOVE it!! Its actually meant for photography, and its HD! Its a little pricey, but I think its definitely worth it!! So if I were you I would just make sure you use good quality makeup, maybe go to your local Sephora or even Macy's and ask the ladies that work there what they would reccomend!! Good Luck!

~Kristin 

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
--
Sam Keen
wedding widget

Formerly-FutureMrsGeorge

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 4:36 PM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

Mine looked great in my photos...BUT I'm really good with makeup.

Whichever way you go, definitely take a minute to touch up your makeup before doing your photos, especially if it's a hot day and you're doing your photos after the ceremony. You probably won't need much to do a simple touch-up - just some powder and lipstick. Don't forget to wear waterproof mascara!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

MrsLizSteplowsk... Posts : 81 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 5:10 PM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

I did my own make up and my didnt wash me out.. I use BareMinerals I love it is so nice.

wedding websites

Check out our Wedding Web page

http://KurtandLiz06202009.brides.com

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

I love make up, and I'm pretty good at putting it on, so I'll be doing my own make up. It all matters on your technique, quality of make up, and colors used as to if you look washed out in your pictures. You need to get some experience with applying your make up for pictures before your wedding. Do a bunch of practice runs and photograph yourself in whatever environment you'll be in on the big day. If you are having an outdoor wedding, take some pics outside.

As for foundations, you need something a little heavier with good coverage, and not oil based. I like merl norman total finish compact make up. MAC is great too, but I'm allergic to it so I can't use it. You also want a good powder that matches up really well. It is important to not make your face look too light, so a touch/dust of bronzer on your cheeks/chin/forehead (where the light naturally hits your face) will be helpful. However you want to make sure its not a shimmery kind, or else it will look bad in your pictures. Bare Minerals is nice make up, very light, too light for me, I like a little more coverage, and its good for your skin. However, it DOES NOT look good in pictures. It makes you look washed out. I don't know what it is about it, but something in it just doesn't photograph well at all. Also remember you will want to put your make up a little heavier than normal so that the photograph can capture it.

Eye liner is your friend, it will make your eyes look awake, open, big & beautiful for your day. Curl your eyelashes that day to give your eyes an extra open boost.

With blush, don't use just one color. Take your normal blush brush (which I assume is kind of large) and put on a color that goes well with your skin. Then take a smaller angeled blush brush and dust a lighter color of blush right on top of your cheek bones in an outward motion. This will give your cheeks more definition and add more pigmentation for the camera to capture.

With your lipstick, whatever color you decide on put it on, and then take a clear gloss and dab it in the center of your lower lip. This will help too.

& as a pp mentioned, definitely touch up before your pics with a little powder and lip stick/gloss!

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

Why not just get some make up and start playing around with it. You have plenty of time so just do different applications. You can figure out what will work best for you like that. I wear make up and I use different looks for different occasions. I may go with mascara and lip gloss or a full face depending on where we are going or what we are doing. So my advice would be play with the make up take pictures and see what look you like best and go with that one for the wedding.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 12:30 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I did my own makeup but am a makeup minimalist as well in my everyday life--lipstick usually, mascara occasionally, the rest even more rarely. So I'm not terribly experienced either.

But Sephora is your friend! Go there and try stuff out.

A couple of suggestions I got and used:

Mineral-based foundation doesn't look as pancake-y as the liquid stuff--at least the liquid stuff I've used in the past. I bought Laura Mercier foundation at Sephora, did a light dusting on my face after I'd applied liquid cover-up over the trouble spots (I've got sort of dry skin, so I picked liquid cover-up), and that made my face look a lot more finished for photos.

As Winter said, eyeliner is definitely your friend. The suggestion I got from a makeup artist was to apply to the outer half of the top lid along your lash line, then sweep up very slightly at the very outer edge of your eyelid. That little extra sweep helps emphasize your eyes and makes them look just a little bigger.

And my favorite makeup discovery EVER: using lip pencil as your lipstick! I bought a very natural-looking color that was somewhat darker than my lip color, made sure my face/lips were moisturized, and applied lip liner. Stays on for a long time, some longer than others. The hard they are to put on, the longer they stay on. I like the Laura Mercier lip pencil, but there are others that will stay on longer--Laura's is on the soft side and comes off more quickly.

preview image

JennHatesWaiting Posts : 74 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 3:11 AM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

I think the "washed out" look you are worried about is actually an ingredient often found in foundations and powders. Look for something without titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide is actually a sunscreen thats found in MANY foundations and powders and reflects light. So basically when a camera flash goes off, it reflects the light off your face from the flash, thus giving you the "washed out" look.

If you have a Sephora nearby take a trip out there. I highly suggest Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Coverage (I think thats the name). Its kinda pricey so you might see if you can get a "sample" if you aren't normally a foundation person who would use it a whole bottle. Either way, if you can get to a Sephora they will be able to help you choose something good. Just say you need makeup for your wedding and are looking for something oil free and without titanium dioxide.

Good luck!

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Re: Will non-professional makeup application really make me look washed out
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 4:51 AM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

I did my own make-up and it turned out fine. Until about a year ago, I didn't really wear any, but I started looking washed out in the summer so my mom and MIL suggested I try Bare Minerals and my MIL gave me an extra set she had ordered. I also sometimes wear the Covergirl mineral foundation. And I also started wearing eyeshadow as well.

For my wedding, I did my own foundation using the Bare Minerals stuff and my MoH, who had Avon experience, helped me put the eye shadow on a little heavier than normal just so it would show up more in photos. It looked perfectly normal and natural.

The nice thing about Bare Minerals and other mineral based foundation is that it blends with your skin and complextion really well. When I was in Jr. High and first got to wear makeup, putting on foundation was such a hassle for me and no matter how much I tried it looked like a mask and I had that stupid line that I just couldn't get to blend. I didn't wear makeup at all throughout high school or college because of that. But with the mineral-based stuff, there is no line and it looks much more natural.

Since you still have plenty of time before your wedding, I'd suggest playing around with different stuff and decide what you prefer best. Just remember, you're going to want to put on a little more than normal on wedding day, since you'll be taking a lot of pictures and you don't want to look washed out in them. But you don't have to cake it on and look unnatural like most professionals would do (unless that's what you want).

Friends since December 1997, together since December 2006
September 13, 2008 I legally became his and he became mine.

I tend to write long posts - short and simple doesn't exist with me!
That's how I am, take it or leave it.

MovieBits - your source for reviews, news and more!
www.moviebits.blogspot.com

LisaHorwitz Posts : 35 Registered: 8/18/08
Posted: Jun 28, 2009 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: vlbastek

I am a professional makeup artist, but also a big believer in DIY bridal makeup. I even created a cosmetic line just for DIY brides. You received a lot of excellent advice already from other posters, so all I will add is to set aside some time each week or two to practice applying your makeup. Take photos after each session so that you will be able to see your improvement. And most importantly, smile...it's the best makeup you can put on.

Lisa Horwitz
www.Theblushingbride.com
Makeup for the Most Beautiful Day of Your Life

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jul 9, 2009 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: LisaHorwitz

My MOH and I went to the make-up counter at Macy's and had them make me over as a bride to try it out. I ended up buying some of what they used because it was very natural. I use a whipped foundation that feels like powder once you put it on and used a highlight compact for the chin, cheeks and forehead. Play around and I definately suggest talking to a make-up counter person.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine