TIPS FOR THE NEWBIES - Very long

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 67

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Re: TIPS FOR THE NEWBIES - Very long
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 10:50 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Spelling is a huge pet peeve of mine! It's compliment, not complainment, just an FYI!

If you're not prepared for people to tell you you're acting whiny, bitchy, stupid, and like a bridezilla, or you just don't really want advice, DON'T post! You will get opinions, you will not like all of them. Tough, if you don't want them, don't ask.

Don't attack members that have been here a lot longer than you. If they're still here, there's a reason, and their advice is probably right on.

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Tanis - great post

Kelley - love the made up example

I do have to agree with the PP stating that don't come on here and ask for advice and then complain and attack people when you don't get the answers that you are looking for. Have an open mind when you are looking for advice as I am sure that you are going to get a wide range of answers and opinions. There are a lot of wise girls on here that give out great advice.

I think that someone else posted about this, but as far as the "young" brides (I consider myself "young" at 22 btw) don't come on here and try and say that you are mature and defend yourself and FH in your thread about bad turkey and FMIL trying to poison your FH (I think we all remember this thread).

All in all I do find the ladies here on brides.com very nice, helpful and welcoming. Welcome to the boards!

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 1:01 AM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

I loved the poison turkey thread!! Classic!

I had all kinds of things posted here, so here's another quick tip...copy what you type if you think there may be a reason that you'd lose you post because it may just happen.

Also, double posts happen, if they do apologize and delete the extra posts.

Oh, lukers and browers...say something already! You are a bit reminiscent of a peeping Tom and you kinda weird me out.

wedding widget

www.mywedding.com/justinandmeaganswedding

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 7:42 AM Go to message in response to: BoysMissLady

I have one too

If you start a thread, don't come back later and delete it. If it is months old it will stay buried. No one will see it and frankly no one cares. You bring attention to yourself and your trainwreck thread by deleting it. 9/10 times most of us missed it the first time.

Do not try to tell anyone how they should respond to a thread. There is nothing that will get people going faster than someone coming into a thread and telling us to be nice. I am nice when I give my original advice. If you come back at me snarky I will find your tantrum funny and respond that way.
I love that my shoe shining thread got some love in here.

If you go bridzilla or have a temper tantrum and curse us out at least have the same gonads to apologize for your attack and don't blame it on your 14 year old cousin/sister/kid you are babysitting. Don't insult our intelligence we know it was you. Try that and you will lose whatever respect you may have earned.

If you want a love fest there is a thread for friendly brides where they do poop rainbows and butterflies go to that thread they will welcome you and your silliness with open arms. They are the friendly brides.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P, People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

OMG Kennys,does the Friendly Brides thread even still exist??? If it does, thats hilarious. I have always found the very concept of "friendly brides" to be just about the funniest thing ever. I will admit I got somewhat nostalgic the other night and did a search for the Mean Brides Thread and sat down and read it in its entirety. I cracked up a lot reading that old thread. Ah the good ole days.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 9:36 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

OMG Kelley your sample incomprehensible post was hilarious! Nail on head.

preview image

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, love love your example.

I'm going to find some of the "classic" threads and bump them up! lets see there was the mean bride, friendly bride, what other ones were there? Oh yeah, beachbum stef.....anyothers that need to be brought back? let me know.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, love your made-up post. But saddend by the fact that it actually did sound like several posts that were totally serious.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I have only been frequenting bridal forums for a few months now, and already I have a number one pet peeve.

DO NOT come on here or any other forum and bitch about how mommy is running the show, but she's paying for everything so you're not getting the wedding you want because you're in mom's pocketbook. My response will ALWAYS be the same:

1. Grow up.
2. Be an adult.
3. Get a job.
4. Lose the sense of entitlement.
5. Pay for it your own damn self.

It will never vary. That will always be what I think and say.
My Planning Blog

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

NO COLORED FONTS. THEY ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY ANNOYING TO READ.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING YOU DON'T LIKE COLORED FONTS? WHAT ABOUT RED.

I think red is a pretty font. What about this color is this better? Wait I know it was this one. It really annoys me when people use this colo. This is one of my favorites. But if you are really tryint to drive someont crasy do this.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Thanks for making my thread so pretty. Its nice that you ladies like my thread, but you are all old married hags like me! Where are the newbies? Maybe they are just lurking and scared to post anything.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 3:40 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

I dont know where they are Tanis,but I am seriously CRACKING UP at that yellow color and neon green color that both MsD and Kennys posted lol. Its sooo funny because in both cases, you literally cannot even read the font, its just blinding!!! And what I love most about people who use these colored fonts, is that 9 times out of 10, when you politely tell them its hard to read and please post in normal font, they get all defensive and start in with the "Dont tell me what kind of font to post in! I like my green font andI will keep using it Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!" Ah good times.

Heres another tip. Someone may have said this already, but not sure. Too lazy to go look lol. If in your original thread post, you end it by literally using the phrase "Please give your opinionson this!" ,and then we do JUST THAT, please dont get all overdramatic just because you dont happen to like or agree with those opinions that you ASKED FOR. Jeez. Some noob just went off on me in her thread because I gave her my opinion, and now shes all "Please dont reply to my posts ever again." WTF? lol.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

XYZ1 Posts : 367 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

If you're not prepared for people to tell you you're acting whiny,
bitchy, stupid, and like a bridezilla, or you just don't really want
advice, DON'T post! You will get opinions, you will not like all of
them. Tough, if you don't want them, don't ask.

So true, rubyred1.

Put it another way -- don't title your thread something like "Need advice please!!" when what you really want is affirmation -- i.e., you want everyone on the thread to say "you are totally right" or "that's a great idea."

To use an example from another board, don't write something like "my Maid of Honor is studying for her bar exam and lately she doesn't have time for anything to do with my wedding. I don't get what the big deal is, she can just retake it if she fails, right? She's being so unsupportive. Should I kick her out of the wedding party? What do you guys think?" unless you actually care what people on the board think. And don't throw a temper tantrum and accuse the posters of "not supporting a fellow bride" if you don't like what you hear -- e.g., 15 people very gently suggesting that perhaps you are being unreasonable and need to be more supportive of your (allegedly) best friend. You asked for opinions, people gave them, deal with it.

ETA: Kelley, I think we posted at the same time -- sorry for the repeat advice! :-)

Edited by: ColoradoClaire on Jun 19, 2009 3:41 PM

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Deleted.

Edited by: SteffMay2009 on Jun 19, 2009 4:16 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine