Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 39

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Re: Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 5:47 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

First off, Wells, not everyone thinks your'e shallow. And besides, everyone is a little bit shallow from time to time so its nothing to worry about.

I don't celebrate any holidays so I don't get gifts but when I do its either for my birthday or a care package from my mother and so I always like what I get since my family know me pretty well! I don't think your'e being ungrateful, I know where you're coming from. But PP's have given you good suggestions such as keeping it in your car or for travel etc.

Anyways, I have never even heard of a kindle before I came on here!
I can't see me ever using one. I have a love affair with books, even large ones (I am lugging 'marine geochemical cycles' around with me these days). I love how they smell, I love turning the pages and I love seeing my shelves full of books I love. And I also reject everything to do with technology when I can. I don't even own a computer!

My ipod however, I couldn't live without. It will be coming with me when I sail the Atlantic in a month and I am getting a solar charger so I can recharge it!

AOTB, Hawaii is lovely! Its my favourite place in America by far!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: Bally

Dear BCB,

"Anyways, I have never even heard of a kindle before I came on here!"

Not surprising. The Amazon Kindle is only available in the United States. Amazon has a set-up with US cellphone systems to wirelessly deliver Kindle content. Thus, they only ship to US addresses. When I go to Europe, I will have to sync my Kindle through the Internet. Within the US, it syncs without the computer, wirelessly.

Having said that, I am a "book person" too. Unfortunately, after 33 years of marriage, my house is stuffed with books. We have books everywhere. I really need to give some away, as it will be a horrible mess for our poor children to sort out when we go to Meet Our Maker.

I am seriously trying to get only electronic books from now on. We just don't have any more room for paper books!!!

TheRealMrsJ Posts : 15 Registered: 6/11/09
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Tobi, Kelley and anyone else with weird ears I would try the earphones
that hook over your ears. They are small like the ipod ear phones but
stay put better than those, without the enormous 80's look.

Tanis-
Those are the ones DH has - like I said, he hates the earbuds and can't get em to stay in his ears but he loves ones that look like these:
Retractable Earbuds W Ear-wrap
see how they wrap aroundn your ear and the earbud piece sits nicely in your ear? im sure you could find them in wireless too though...

Formerly TheNewMrsJ

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley the Skull Candy earphones come with all the different sizes :) they are little rubber ends that you can remove to find the right size...it comes with like 4 different ones.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:12 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Regarding earbuds, I've tried lots of different sizes and shapes, brands, and foam/rubber/plastic. Nothing works. The ones that actually stay in my ears HURT my ears very badly. Like, it feels like they're rubbing the skin raw! It's awful! I'm gonna look into those over the ear buds.

Aunt--I'm like you! We only have an apartment but it is OVERFLOWING with books. I have been eyeing the Kindle but I just don't know. I'm sure I would love it in the same way that I used to make fun of Blackberrys until I bought one and fell in love with it. But there's something pleasant and calming about a crisp, fresh new book that smells just...delicious and yummy. And I love old books. Even the musty ones. Reading is such a treat to the senses, I think I would miss that.
My Planning Blog

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Here are what mine look like...the little rubber things come in many differnent sizes. I swear they fit my ears perfectly...I can sleep in them, run in them etc. I used them to sleep in since all other ones hurt when I lay on my side.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Posted: Jun 19, 2009 7:38 PM Go to message in response to: TheRealMrsJ

dear Mrs J,

Those are exactly the earphones my husband has, and he really likes them. He wears them for hours at a time.

Different people have different ear shapes and tolerances, though.

Posted: Jun 19, 2009 7:43 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Dear Chels,

" But there's something pleasant and calming about a crisp, fresh new book that smells just...delicious and yummy. "

Oh, I know. Believe me, I know.

I have thousands of books, all delicious and yummy when I first bought them.

The thing that convinced me to try a Kindle was a CNN blurb by a reporter who was given a Kindle by her sister. The sister is a book publisher, and has been in the business for 40 years. The sister said "Believe me, I'm a Book Person. After forty years in the book publishing business, I really really am a Book Person. And I love the Kindle." .

Now, it's such a good feeling to know that I can buy a book, read it, enjoy it and NOT HAVE TO FIND A PLACE TO PUT IT LATER.

A huge drawback to the Kindle is that you can't loan a book to a friend later, nor give it to the library fund raiser. On the other hand, they allow you to download a sample of the book (usually the first chapter) at no charge, so you can start reading it and decide if you want to continue.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I am seriously trying to get only electronic books from now on. We just don't have any more room for paper books!!!

Me neither, and I'm only 28! I donate my old books regularly, and I STILL don't have enough space for them all, even with boxes and boxes of them in storage. (My defense is that art books are generally pretty big and take up more space than normal books, so I blame the problem on all the art books). In all honesty, though, I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get a Kindle soon. That way, I can only buy 'special' books in book form and just download random stuff that I want to read. My biggest pet peeve is books that I can finish in a day or two. What's the point of them? Really? They only entertain me for a day, yet they expect equal shelf space as books that take me weeks, or ones that I've reread 80 times?

Incidentally, my copy of Pride and Prejudice is a MESS! It's literally in several pieces, and hasn't had a cover in years. In terms of readability, it's useless. Just thought of that when you mentioned Jane Austen! It'll be nice to be able to read some classics that haven't been duct taped together six times!

One question, since we're on the topic: Have you been able to find most of the books you want to read available for download, or is it only the bestsellers and classics? Say I wanted to read a random sci-fi book by an author who isn't partcularly popular...what are the chances that I'd be able to download it? Just wondering!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 9:36 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Dear AB,

"Say I wanted to read a random sci-fi book by an author who isn't partcularly popular...what are the chances that I'd be able to download it? Just wondering! "

If you are interested in a Kindle, the best thing to do is to go Amazon and look up a bunch of books. See if they are available in Kindle format. It's hard for me to say "Yes, you would be able to find that obscure author or No, you would not be able to find that obscure author". Go look and see for yourself.

Art books would totally not work on a Kindle. The Kindle is only black and white. The best books for the Kindle are novels, where there are no photos or other artwork.

It's really great to be able to read the newspaper, even while smushed in the middle seat of an airplane. That's impossible with a full sized newspaper, no problem with a Kindle.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine