Small wedding and reception ideas

Online Users: 1,354 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

DIVALENA Posts : 1 Registered: 8/3/07
Small wedding and reception ideas
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 7:05 PM

Due to the economy and sudden illness of loved ones, we decided to down size our 120+ wedding down to our closest family and friends. This has brought the list down to about 30people. I have had a hard time trying to find a venue that will even talk to me after finding out my head count. We thought of having a small beach ceremony/reception but with most places we still fall under. Any ideas....it would be greatly appreciated.

CSUFgrad08 Posts : 114 Registered: 6/19/08
Re: Small wedding and reception ideas
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 7:59 PM Go to message in response to: DIVALENA

I'm sorry to hear that. This recession is affecting everything and everyone. What about having a nice dinner at a restaurant after your ceremony? You can still cut your wedding cake (for dessert) and then of course have a toast to celebrate your marriage. I don't know if you have read the most recent issue of brides magazine, but there is article in there called "the unwedding". It basically outlines for you how to have a small intimate reception without having all the wedding fanfare like the DJ a triple digit guest list, garter toss...etc... I read it and I thougt it had some really creative ideas.
a wedding website

~Future Mrs. D~ 

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: DIVALENA

Also, some restaurants have a room that 30 people can fit into nicely. That way you are separate from the other dinners, still have a festive event, but aren't trying to fit 30 people in a room meant for 100+.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Apr 3, 2009 8:37 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I had a wedding for about 30 people too! My solution was a small but pretty conference room at my local state park. It had great lighting, the room was the right size, and they provited tables and chairs. Best part? It was only $110 to rent for hte whole day of the wedding, and the half day before and after for setup and cleanup. My outdoor ceremony site was about 200 feet away too! You might try something like that. :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

AlexaA Posts : 15 Registered: 2/21/09
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: DIVALENA

HI Divalena-
my cousin had a small wedding in NJ just last summer (about 45ish people). She had her wedding at a Hampton Inn (they have really nice smaller conference rooms they can convert). I'd definately suggest looking at smaller hotels, I have been to a couple of weddings like that.

good luck!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 4, 2009 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: DIVALENA

Good ideas so far. You could also look into having your wedding at a family member's house, a backyard or park, or a bed and breakfast. Those are really cozy and fun!

Ellle Posts : 8 Registered: 5/1/09
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: DIVALENA

Hello Divalena!
i am from new jersey and i too just chopped my 110+ guest list down to about 25 people.
my FH and i are hoping to move out of state after our wedding and my mom told us we can have a big wedding or she would give us the money for a down payment on a house and just keep the wedding small.
of course most girls want the big wedding with everybodys attention on her and the love of her life. my FH wanst me to absolutely SURE i can be hapy with a small initmate wedding. and when i thought about it...the ONLY thing that matters to me is marrying him..im fairly sure i wont even notice who attends anyway lol.
so we were brainstorming ideas the other night, and maybe one of them can help you.
our favorite idea is to ask my godmother to have the celebration in her backyard. she lives in a gorgoeous home in bucks county and i've always wanted an outdoor wedding.
this one you may be able to use. there is a very nice restaurant in medford, nj called braddock's. i havent had the chance to go see it yet but they offer places for wedding from 12 poeple to 150 people! not many places offer that as you know. www.braddocks.com
take a look...from the few pictures it seems really pretty.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 19, 2012 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: DIVALENA

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1231 is just $429.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine