Invitations: DIY or Hire?

Online Users: 1,237 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Gadzooks14 Posts : 3 Registered: 10/30/08
Invitations: DIY or Hire?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:12 PM

I'm wondering what people are doing for their wedding invitations. Are you doing it yourself? Are you hiring someone to do it? Are you getting help with the invitations?

I think I have the design of what I want mine to look like but I don't have all the tools to do it myself.

Love stretches your heart and makes you BIG inside

LEANNE

MrsKG Posts : 115 Registered: 10/5/08
Re: Invitations: DIY or Hire?
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

Well the first thing I did was looked at my budget, which isn't very large and then I priced different types of invitations, I looked at the type you order and have made, and printed, then I looked at the kits at the stores, that you print yourself and assemble, then I looked at doing them completely from scratch. And I figured what would work best for me. I realized that haveing them specially made and printed isn't that cheap and Id rather spend that extra money on something else...but that making them from scratch wasnt that easy and was more time consuming, so I compromised and got the kits from the store. For 100 invites it cost me about $60 compared to over $100. And they are very easy to print and assemble. Plus if you get a pretty basic design, you can add to it to make them your own. So thats what I did! Hope this helps! :)

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
--Sam Keen

wedding widget

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

What do you mean by hiring someone to do it? Do you mean ordering pre-printed invitations rather than printing them yourself? Or do you mean you're going to hire someone to assemble and address your invitations?

We ordered ours from an online catalog. We didn't get a custom order or anything - just one of their standard options printed with our info. For me, that was the better decision. I simply didn't want to spend the time it would have taken to design and print my own. Depending on where you order from and what you want, you might even get a better deal than you would if you printed them yourselves. We used a couple discounts and got a great deal on our invites - compared to the price of the print-your-own invitation kits I was looking at, we spent less doing it that way.

If by 'hiring someone to do it' you mean the stuffing/addressing/etc, then no. We did that ourselves. It really didn't take very long - just a couple evenings and we were done.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Gadzooks14 Posts : 3 Registered: 10/30/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

great, thanks! By "Hiring someone else" I mean getting a special wedding invitation designer to make them for you - you just tell them what you want, they make it, and you stuff it - or they do, depending of what they offer. There are a bunch of people and companies out there that you just tell them what you want, then they make it. I found the average price to be around $1.50 an invitation for their prices.

Love stretches your heart and makes you BIG inside

zachsgirl09 Posts : 21 Registered: 4/30/09
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

We did ours from the kits you buy in the store. I found some for REALLY cheap and printed them, added a ribbon to make them a little more "me" and designed my own R.S.V.P. cards. I think I spent less than $10.00 on everything, not including postage. (I told you I got them really cheap ) I looked at the professional ones, and I honestly didn't find any that I liked as much as the ones I had done; at least none that were in our budget. I'm glad we printed them ouselves.

My one piece of advice is to have a good printer! When I first started printing mine, our printer kept shooting them out crooked, so the font was crooked. I then used my SIL's printer and her's was great. Definitely do some trial ones first!

Good Luck!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

We ordered ours from ebay and they turned out sooooooo perfect!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

We ordered ours from a local printing company. Why? Because I'm not a DIYer, and really not a big internet user to puchase things! and we use local businesses whenever possible.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 9:39 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

We made ours from scratch. We spent about $150 for 88 invites including all the envelopes and stuff. It was very time consuming, but saved us big bucks. Many friends of mine bought them from local printers and spent thousands on them. Just a warning, if you make them from scratch, make sure you have enough time. I took a week off to make them, and used the WHOLE week, straight.. Some of the kits people are talking about are a good option if you don't have the design eye, but want things a little more personal.

dawnO Posts : 40 Registered: 7/14/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14

I got my kits from walmart....very inexpensive compared to the ones you order. The kits comes with directions, advice and a link to the company's website where you type up your invite info, so printing them up is very easy to do. I did add a piece of cardstock on the back of mine in our color scheme and I also used a starfish punch at the bottom of the white piece of card stock, so the blue shows threw, just to give it an added touch. ....when Im all finished, I will share..... but I would def. reccomend these kits....

....Donna

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: dawnO

Mine were made from scratch becasue 1: I had a very specific idea of what I wanted, and 2: I had all the time in the world and none of the money I needed. hehe We spent about $50 on 16 invitations, which you could certainly do cheaper somewhere else, but I was having the hardest time finding companies that would only print the amount I needed. I also needed a project that would keep me busy so I wasn't going to go crazy in that weird interim planning stage where you've made all the big decisions and you're just waiting for the wedding to get closer. hehe :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

FinallyMrsF Posts : 285 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

We did both. Our venue package included 75 invitations, but it turned out that we needed 100. They wouldn't budge and give me the 25, so my mom and I printed some on our own. I think for a box of 50 at Wal-Mart it was $20, and typing them up and printing them was easy.

I'm actually going to use one of the ones I made in my invitation frame because the pre made ones don't fit.

I found the hardest part to be stuffing the envelopes and addressing them, my mom, a friend of ours, and myself took a weekend to do them.

MrsDeLouis Posts : 167 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsF

I'm planning on DIY'ing. I've looked at several catalogs and found a few I and FH like and ordered samples. I looked at the kits in stores like Michael's but the pre-made kits just don't have the pizzazz I'm looking for. So I'm going to use the samples that I like as a template and then make little changes to them to make them more "us." For example, one invitation I like has fall leaves printed on it. I should be able to find a stamp with that gold embossing ink and replicate the same effect. Yeah it'll be time consuming, but just like Nala was, I'm at the point where I need something to keep me occupied since I have a lot of the big stuff out of the way. Needing over 150 invitations, rsvp cards, and reception cards is just way too expensive to purchase out of a catalog for us.

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDeLouis

I want to DIY very badly, but I just need some guidance from somewhere. I don't know where to get started or how, or what kind of paper to use, or what my printer can or can't print on...

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

WWB, trial and error is your best friend in terms of the printer/layout. FH and I are incredibly NOT crafty and we DIYed our invitations. (And several people, upon finding out that we did it ourselves, have said they would have never known they weren't professionally done if we hadn't told them.)

We used paperdirect.com. I'll be honest, their products look like crap on the website, but they were really reasonable. It's $5 to order 8 sample invitations pretty much of your choice. I think we ordered a set of 8, didn't like any, but were pleased with the idea of several of them, so ordered another 8 and picked one of those. The nice thing about getting samples is that you can test something in your printer to see if it works. (The same would work if you were thinking of making them totally from scratch. Pick up one piece of whatever thickness of cardstock you were looking at and run it through your printer).

What we liked (and others may not) about the type of print your own we got is that they were two invitations to a sheet. This meant that they were regular paper size, so we didn't have to worry about making odd shaped paper fit into the printer. Ours were very well perferated. Other than a few that FH did haphazardly, none of them looked perferated. They also had downloadable templates that you could buy (for like $2.50) with the exact size of the invitation or card, so you didn't have to format anything in word.

It made our DIY a lot more feasible. (Which is good, since we procrastinated until a week before they had to go out.)

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 7:45 AM Go to message in response to: Gadzooks14
RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine