There goes our honeymoon.....

Online Users: 1,309 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

BeckiSou22 Posts : 65 Registered: 3/27/09
There goes our honeymoon.....
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:46 PM

I'm so upset right now... When FH and I picked out wedding date waaaayyy back in January we had two days in August that were available for our reception spot.... the 22nd and the 30th.... my sister and I immediately went online to check when I start school in the fall semester, there was no way that I was going to get married two days before the semester started....too much stress... so anyway we found that school started on the 31st of August..... so we picked August 22nd for our wedding day!!

So today as I was looking at my class schedule for the fall, I noticed the date August 24th..... and so I double checked the calandar and school starts the 24th!!!!!! I don't know if that changed between January and now but I'm so upset... we almost booked our honeymoon last night(from the 24th to the 29th) Thank god we didn't!!! But now FH thinks that I should e-mail all of my professors and ask if it would be possible for me to miss the first week of school because of the wedding... I think if I were a professor I would tell me that I should have thought about that before now... I don't know what to do... :-(

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: There goes our honeymoon.....
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 5:56 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

I would seriously consider taking a delayed honeymoon. We waited until almost a year later and thought it worked really well. All the wedding stuff was taken care of we had time to settle into married life. I kind of thought of it as "spreading the fun around". Although it is disappointing now, at least you hadn't booked it already. One thing to consider - Would you really enjoy your honeymoon knowing you are missing school or would you be worried about what you are missing? Take your honeymoon when you know you will enjoy it.

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

I agree with Tanis, why don't you take a delayed honeymoon during your winter holiday break? You could go somewhere fabulous for your first new years together and it would be double-special. If it were me, I'd be freaked missing the first week and I wouldn't want to start off the semester by giving my professors the impression that I didn't give two craps about school (not saying this is actually the case...but I can see a professor thinking this!). Plus, that gives you 3 extra months to save so you could take an even better trip than whatever you had planned originally!
P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

I would take the delayed honeymoon option. You'll enjoy yourself much more.

And from the point of view of a professor, I'd drop you from my class if you missed the first week. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there are plenty of other people who'd like to take the class and are available to attend. I'd feel bad about booting someone because she was on her honeymoon, but I'd be thinking, 'Well, she shouldn't have planned her wedding so close to the start of the semester.' Sorry if that sounds mean, but that's the way the academic world works. My department even has rules about it. You don't attend the first two classes and you're automatically dropped, to make room for students who want to get into the class. The only way around it is a doctor's note.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Thats exactly what I said to Fh...that my professors will think that its not their problem that I want to go on a honeymoon and pretty much drop me if I'm not there.....however FH's family owns a huge furniture store where we live and told me "maybe we can work with them and give them a deal" I was like omg I'm not going to try to bribe my professors with furniture!! lol

Jream Posts : 157 Registered: 7/29/08
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:50 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

Just in case you needed even more affirmation, I'd agree with the delayed honeymoon also, mainly because you probably will be stressed about school and everything. In fact, reading this post suddenly made ME stressed and thinking, oh crap, I didn't even think about school! before I realized I'm graduating right before my wedding (phew!). So, basically, I can imagine your potential stress. Plus, missing the first week of school automatically drops you at my school, and talking it over may not fix that for all your classes.

Besides, you'll get to announce yourself in class as "Mrs." with your new last name and show off your rings. =)

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Jream

LOL I was hoping that I would have my name changed before classes actually started...because now I'm going to have to do all the name changing stuff the same week, so I'll have one name for the first few classes and then I'll have to show up and be like yeahhh so thats not my name anymore....lol I'm sure that will be fun!!

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 7:55 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

BeckiSou I changed my country and my name all within one week! I didn't get one bill or letter for about two months that had both the name and address right and my credit cards kept being rejected because they couldn't keep up with the changes. I never knew who I was or where I lived when I charged something but no harm was done and it all got worked out eventually. It will work out for you too.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

I would do the delayed honeymoon. Unless you already know all your professors fairly well I wouldn't risk irritating any of them before you have even sat down in their class. Just as I have had some wonderful, caring, and understanding professors I have also had some pretty prickly professors in my time who expect you to put their class before everything else (regardless of the reason). I used to be a celebrity tour guide at Disney and was offered to give a tour to a very prominent actor who I was dying to meet. I was taking a college classes on my days off and it would have meant missing a whole week (it was on Tuesday and Thursday). I had no doubt I could make up the work but I wanted my teacher's blessing since I know having a good relationship can sometimes make a difference grade-wise (even if they say it doesn't- if you are on the edge of an A or a B but your teacher really likes you and feels you are dedicated to their class you are much more likely to get the A than if you blow it off). She said I could (because my attendance was otherwise perfect) but I could tell she wasn't psyched about it so I ultimately turned the tour down. (The the tour guide who did it ended up needing one half day off of the week-long tour so I did get to meet him and be with him for a half day!)

Anyway, it is all about priorities. If your honeymoon is yours and you are willing to risk the wrath of your professors (at least it is at the beginning of the semester and not midway through...) then just accept whatever consequences occurr. However, if school is your priority then maybe go away someplace local for a night after your wedding, enjoy newleywed bliss for a while, and use that time to plan a fantastic honeymoon. After all, it is hard to plan and save for a wedding and a honeymoon at the same time, this way you can devote plenty of time to each!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:31 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

Dear Becki,

"I think if I were a professor I would tell me that I should have thought about that before now"

Yep, they would. A lot happens the first week of class. I suggest you would have a tough time catching up with all your classes if you miss the first week.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I agree with everyone else about doing the delayed honeymoon. You'll have more fun. And, when I was in law school, we were not allowed more than 3 absences per semester in any class. For any reason other than doctors note. Tough, but that's the way it was. So, I wouldn't want to risk it or spend honeymoon worrying about it!!

sorry that it happened though.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

Hmmm I see you're in NY. A honeymoon vacation somewhere warm during the winter months would be great! ;)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

LindsayR Posts : 5 Registered: 6/18/09
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 1:54 AM Go to message in response to: BeckiSou22

Definately opt for the delayed honeymoon. My fiance picked out our wedding date for us before we were engaged. lol. He proposed to me on our 3 year anniversary and wants to get married on the following anniversary. (Which lands on a schoolday in the middle of the week in May) I am definately missing a few days there and would never imagine missing a whole week! I say, take two honeymoons. 1)A quaint weekend getaway in a small inn and 2)A long honeymoon during the winter break. Possibly go across the globe to experience the summer in the wintertime (Australia and New Zealand would be great places for adventure and romance _ )

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine