Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 39

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Re: Not sure how to handle this, Opinions needed.
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 7:44 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

First of all - "trussed up like a Christmas goose" = hilarious!!!

Secondly - I have the same problems keeping the damn thing in my ear. I say ear because only my right ear gives me problems. My left ear is apparently normal but my right ear has an abnormally small hole. I don't even have an ipod. I have an ipod shuffle but it's just not the same. :(

Threedly - I agree with the 'don't say anything and just use it every now and then'.

Member and Co-Founder of POOP: "People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:04 AM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

Tobi, I think you just came up with 3 different points JUST so you could us the term "threedly."
LOL. Too funny. Glad Im not the only one with malfunctioning ears out there.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 8:53 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Tobi, Kelley and anyone else with weird ears I would try the earphones that hook over your ears. They are small like the ipod ear phones but stay put better than those, without the enormous 80's look.

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

The earbuds made by Skull Candy have several different little rubber things that are in different sizes so you can find the right ones to fit in your ears. I love them because the other kinds usually fall out when I am running.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:27 AM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Tried those too Tanis. Hate em. They make my ears all red and they HURT lol. Im constantly playing with them to make the loopy thing looser somehow because I HATE the way it feels surounding my ear. Again, I know Im weird, but I just hate the feeling of something in or aruond my ear like that, drives me batty. Maybe those earplug things someone else mentioned would work, since they have different sizes. how would I know what size I am though? Not exactly something you can try on lol.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:57 AM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Hmmm if you don't want it can I have it? lol

What if he uses headphones while he watches TV and that way you can listen to your music while working out. Have you gone outside and worked out? Do you walk or jog? If you go outside then an IPOD may be something you may like.

I'd say give it a chance. You may be surprised that you may like it. But if you are for certain that you hate it then ask him if he has the receipt. Tell him the truth that you don't like it. If he doesn't have the receipt then I think you should give him his money back. I mean, how would you feel if you spent a good deal on money on a gift for him and he told you that he hated it?

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

CoutureBride27 Posts : 130 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

Hi, I don't really understand your problem, you got an iPod and you don't like it, so what. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it. Most people will be happy to receive such a gift, and to be honest, receiving a gift is a priviledge, and therefore sometimes when we receive useless gifts or even things that make us wonder why ... it's graceful to just accept and appreciate it. Anyway ... if you really don't want it why not just give it to charity or someone who could really make use of it.

Cherish all your happy moments:  they make a fine cushion for old age.

**Christopher Morley**

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I too have an iPod that I received as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago from my mom and dad. I wanted it and picked it out and everything. I never use it unless I'm in my car where it is hooked into my car stereo. That works way better than using CDs in your car so maybe you could do that. It charges and everything right from my car so I never do anything with it outside the car. I tried to run with it but not possible. Those things won't stay in my ears either.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Dear Kelley Lynn,

"Whatever will you do Aunt? lol. Someone doesnt love the iPod -- oh the travesty!!!:) "

OMG, yes, I'm still recovering from the shock.

I don't know what I love the most: My iPod or my Kindle.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: CoutureBride27

I personally am never happy to receive a gift that I don't like. I don't have a clue what to do with it. I am always worried that I will give the wrong reaction. Like when you open up a Christmas present and it is a really ugly sweater. You think it is hideous but you still have to be grateful to great aunt esther for thinking of you.

I don't think of gift reception as a priviledge, just something nice that someone did for me. When my husband give me something I say thank you and go on about my business. No need to get overdramatic about it.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

AOTB, I was waiting for you to see this! I'm with you on ipods, and I really hope someone gets me a kindle soon! I sat next to a guy on the bus the other day, just so I could check out his kindle out of the corner of my eye, and now I desperately want one. Much easier than carrying around the 800 page book I currently have in my purse. ;)

Kennys (and OP), I'm with you on being a little awkward when I receive a gift I don't like. Fortunately, I know who to expect the really weird bad gifts from (my aunt gave me a pink teapot with cheesy looking - pun intended - mice on it for Xmas a few years ago and though I quickly tossed it in the trash, I still giggle whenever I think about it). When the bad gift is from someone like my aunt, who I see once a year, it's easy to deal with it - but I understand why the OP is awkard about this, since she presumably sees her FH a lot and he'll probably notice if she never uses it.

Still, I think the best course of action is to use it occassionally. If he asks you why you don't use it more often, it's fine to be honest and say that you appreciate the thought, but you're just not as crazy about the ipod as everyone else seems to be. And while you're trying it out, you may surprise yourself and grow to love it. Like I said, I didn't like my ipod at first, either. My parents got me one for Xmas a few years ago and I thought, 'Well, now I have a cool new toy, but I doubt I'll ever use it.' But I didn't want the gift to be a waste of money, so I gave it a chance. A month or two later, I found myself searching frantically for it every time I left the house, and cursing if I ever forgot to charge the battery!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Artbride, I have a sister in law who buys the worse gifts ever I bet if she saw that teapot you mentioned I would get that for christmas this year. I haven't decided if she has no clue or if she doesn't like me. Anyway because we see her often I end up putting stuff out when I know she is going to visit. She gave us this vase a couple of years ago it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen but according to her it matches my color scheme. Fortunately she has stopped buying us clothes, that was an adventure.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I had a similar sigh reaction as well, because I literally can't imagine a life without my iPod. Why don't you just take away music itself? I am currently on my third iPod. The second one I left behind on a plane. . .I bought a new one within a week.

I don't like the wires eather, but they're a necessary evil until wireless headphones become commonplace enough that I can actually afford them. (I know they make them now, but they are expensive.) During my workouts, I deal with the problem by running the wires down my shirt if the iPod is in my pocket, or running it through my sleeve if the iPod is on my arm.

That said, whenever hubs gives me a gift I don't particularly enjoy or don't plan to use, I say Thank You, and kiss him on the cheek. There's no real reason to tell him I don't like it unless he asks, which he doesn't, because he pretty much figures this out by my nonuse of the item that I don't like it.

AOTB and Art, I don't have a kindle because I'm too busy listening to my iPod to read. But I'm seriously thinking about buying one for my Dad, but it's a bit too extravagant a gift for me -- his gifts are usually Banana Republic t-shirts on sale, or the occasional book. Personally, I'm afraid to try one out -- I can't imagine my life without books. And I mean actual books. But I know that were I to get one, it would be all over.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

MsD I almost had a plane incident as well. Another reason I love the iPod is that can be engraved. I was on a plane once and after returning from the restroom there was an announcement "Is there a Sexy T on the plane?" I am thinking" WTH is going on? Thats my nickname". I shyly raise my hand while everyone on the entire plane is trying to see who this T is and if she really is sexy, which of course I wasn't because I was travelling 12 hours to see FH. My FH had given me the iPod and had Sexy T engraved on the back. I did not get up for anything for the rest of the flight, but I did get my iPod back.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Dear AB,

" and now I desperately want one. Much easier than carrying around the 800 page book I currently have in my purse. ;) "

Oh, you've got that right.

I really like my Kindle. I download the newspaper every morning, then read the Editorials and Op-Ed without even getting out of bed.

Reading is, for me, like reading on paper. It is not backlit. You have to have regulary, over the shoulder light in order to be comfortable.

You can get that 800-page book, but there are lots of classics that are available for either free or an incredibly low charge, like 80 cents. There's no incremental cost to selling you a classic - no paper, no shipping, no author royalty, so they are almost free.

I have all six Jane Austen novels, for example. It's great to hunker down on an airplane and pull out Pride and Prejudice or Emma. You can get Shakespeare, Sherlock Holmes, whatever for almost nothing.

I am in Hawaii, now. It's a long plane flight to Honolulu. I switched between my iPod and my Kindle coming over her.

Right now, ladies, I am sitting in a hotel room in Waikiki, looking out at the Pacific Ocean from my lanai. We have an "oceanfront" room. My husband is napping, so I am doing quiet stuff seeing as how I cannot sleep during daylight hours.

It is so beautiful here.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine