how long?

Online Users: 1,275 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

LadyE2010 Posts : 83 Registered: 10/30/07
how long?
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 8:36 PM

So we are planning to have the ceremony at 3 pm. However, I am not sure as to how long the reception should be. There will be approximately 50 people and we are planning on having dinner and dancing. I guess I'm just wondering if smaller weddings usually last as long as bigger ones.

Re: how long?
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 8:37 PM Go to message in response to: LadyE2010

Also, I'm just not really sure about the timeline of weddings.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:31 PM Go to message in response to: LadyE2010

If you're planning a 3PM ceremony, when do you expect to serve dinner? Let's say one hour for ceremony, pictures, etc. Is there travel time to reception? Say, cocktail hour at about 4:30, dinner 5:30? The "typical" reception lasts about four hours, start to finish. So, yours probably will end on the early side, which is ok if you're doing a Sunday or weekday; a bit more unusual to have your timing on a Saturday night. Then again, if you're doing a weekday, will people be able to make it to a 3PM ceremony?
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

BlissfullyContent Posts : 73 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: myra

we did a 3pm ceremony but it was outside, shorter, and the reception was held on site.
Ceremony @ 3
Pictures 3:30, 3:45ish
Guests had Cocktail hour 4-5 (we thought we'd be done with pictures but we Definately weren't, leave youself lots of time)
Announcements/ first dance 5,5:30
Dinner 5:30ish-6:30ish
Father/Daugher & MOther/Son dance
Opening of dance floor (bridal party dance)
Random dancing
We tried the dollar dance at like 8 but by then people were already leaving. It kind of bummed me out but you have to figure that they were there since 2:30ish in the afternoon. There was still about 20 people there but they were just hanging around enjoying the conversation. Also think about your bar package. Ours was supposed to turn into a cash bar at 9pm but the venue (or just the bartender) kept the drinks flowing and people said that she wasn't charging? Never got the bill for that so I'm considering it a gift.
We did a 3pm ceremony because we had an 8am flight the next day and didn't want to be up all night. We still got back to the hotel after 1am.
Why are you considering an early ceremony?

Created by
Wedding Favors

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

The reason we are having the ceremony at 3 pm is because we have to be out of the park by four according to the rules. The reception is at the same place so I imagine it will probably a little like yours. Thanks for the timeline! It is on a Saturday so I was worried about it being a little off, but considering it is only immediate family and some close friends that live in town, I don't think it will matter too much. That is great about the bar by the way!!! I hope that happens with us!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 7:25 AM Go to message in response to: LadyE2010

We had 70 people at our wedding and they would have kept partying all night if the bar hadn't closed...so no, I don't think small weddings end sooner, but I guess it probably depends on your crowd.

This was our timeline:
2:00 Ceremony
2:30 Ceremony over, short receiving line, guests started leaving for reception around 2:45
3:00 Cocktail hour starts (though few people arrived before 3:30)
3:15-3:30ish We finished with photos at the church and left for the reception
4:00 WP arrived at reception, first dance, father/daughter and mother/son dance
4:30 Salads served
4:45 Champagne toast between courses
5:00ish Dinner served
5:30-5:45ish Dancing began
7:00 Cut the cake
10:00ish Bar closed at the venue (some people had left already, but we had a crowd of about 35-40 people still there. Everybody moved to the hotel bar)
1:00ish We left the hotel bar. There were plenty of people still there.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:12 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

What did you do for music Artbride? Did you have a DJ, band, ipod? If you had a DJ or Band, did you contract them for 5 or 6 hours?

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: LadyE2010

We used an ipod, and I'm so glad we did, because it was a BLAST! If you want to know how we did it, I'll tell you - or you can do a forum search for 'ipod' and you'll probably find that I wrote a novel about it on every thread you come up with!

The open bar was only supposed to be for 5 hours, but we somehow ended up with an extra hour of open bar that we didn't pay for. Most likely, the bartenders just got confused, but I like to believe that they were having such a blast working at our wedding that they just didn't want it to end yet! Nah...in reality, I'm sure our venue coordinator hooked us up. She rocked!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine