Betta Fish Centerpieces

Online Users: 1,296 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 18

Kalli731 Posts : 4 Registered: 5/29/09
Betta Fish Centerpieces
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 12:00 AM

My fiance really wants a few of our centerpieces to be vases with betta fish in them with floating candles on the top. I'm just wondering if there are "fish safe" floating candles that wouldn't harm/poison the fish. Anybody know of anything like that?

JennHatesWaiting Posts : 74 Registered: 1/14/09
Re: Betta Fish Centerpieces
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 3:23 AM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

I actually do not have an answer to your question. I do, in fact, have a question for your question! Who is gonna take the fish after the reception? Just wondering cause if you are gonna flush 'em it really doesn't matter about the candles I suppose!

Fish have feelings too :( Please don't flush the fishies.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 8:15 AM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

I wouldn't use floating candles with bettas - I just don't know of any that would be safe and I wouldn't want to take the chance of killing them.

And Jenn has a good question - a lot of people on here might be upset that you are using bettas (fair warning) - directly because of the question who is taking them home.

I helped at my GF's wedding and over half of the betta were still left over even though she had made arrangements for someone to take each one.

Fortunately she wasn't going on her HM right away, her parent took them home and she was able to find homes for them the next morning at the breakfast at her parents.

Anyhow, IF you/FH really want to do bettas - maybe have alternating centerpieces - some with bettas and some without and candles. Just a suggestion.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 9:10 AM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

Oh, no way! Please don't put candles in with the fishies! That can't be safe!

I have strong feelings about living creatures being used as decorations, and I'm not the only one I know who feels that way. I'm not saying that to be mean - I'm just warning you that some of your guests might be uncomfortable with that, particularly if you're serving fish at your reception.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

Hey Kalli,

Awesome question. I asked my FH about this as he maintains and builds aquariums, and breeds fishes and coral and I want to use fishies too in my centerpieces.
He said that there are a certain type of floating candle you can get that has a safe wax for the fishies when it burns. If the bowl is deep enough, you shouldn't have a problem. Another good question posed by the PP's is, what will you do with the fishies after?
We're keeping ours because, we love fish. But you could put the fishies in little plastic baggies(like at the carnival) and give them to your guests at the end, instead of relying on them to take them home. Guests always forget to take the favors home. HTH :)

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Thanks to everybody for the answers. I'm not planning on doing every centerpiece this way. I don't want to buy any more than like 10 fish. We would NOT flush the fish afterwards...I would give them away to anybody who wants one along with a little baggie of food so they wouldn't have to buy anything for them. I actually want to save the fish from their poor little containers at Wal-Mart...they always look so sad! :( If we couldn't find homes for all of them I would just keep them myself. I really don't want to hurt/kill any of the fish (and we're not serving fish for our dinner either...that would be kinda strange!) Thank you SweetSunset for the info, do you know the brand name of the floating candles...or would people at a pet store be able to tell me what kind to buy?

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

He didn't know of any brands, but to make sure the candles are free from any dye's or perfume's that could get into the water, and to make sure the water temp was above 70 degrees. I'd check with a pet store too, just in case.

iloveaiden Posts : 49 Registered: 5/27/09
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

my guy friends use to fight betas in middle school. . . aren't beta's expensive?
Created by Wedding Favors

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 9:24 AM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

I would be another one of those people who are vehemently against using animals for any sort of decoration or entertainment.

Bettas breath atmospheric air, like we do, but that doesn't mean they should be kept in a bowl for the rest of their life. Yes I know they are sold in a tiny plastic pot but they should not be kept in that for long. They should be kept in a community aquarium with a proper filter and with other community fish species such as tetras, mollies, guppies etc, not other bettas. How many of your guests can provide a proper environment for the bettas for when you are done with them? I'm assuming not many.

When you buy/keep any animal, its your duty to provide them a proper home close to their natural environment so they can be normal, healthy animals. Fish are no exception simply because they are cheap.

Also fish are sensitive to vibrations, noise, light and sounds, so it will be extremely stressful for the fish to be on a table with loud and possibly drunken people knocking things about.

Please, please reconsider your idea. There are plenty of other things you can use that does not involve compromising the health or lives of a living creature.

Palmtree2 Posts : 9 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

I love this idea! However, I don't have a candle answer for you. But I think the betta fish will be a very neat centerpiece!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sammiej23 Posts : 9 Registered: 5/2/09
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 11:46 PM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

i love the idea of the fish..im sure it will look super cute but u also have to keep in mind the possibility that they might not last the entire night. i mean u dont want upside down fish floating in ur centerpieces

greenpansy Posts : 55 Registered: 6/23/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 12:49 AM Go to message in response to: Sammiej23

We are using bettas for our centerpieces as well.
First off: Yes, I have made arrangements for the fish for after my event. After my event the fish will be donated in separate environments to my son's school for class pets.
As far as the candles go, I would not put candles on top of the fish. That just seems like a bad idea to me, even if the wax is safe. What about using some of those battery operated flameless candles, like 3 or so around each bowl? Then you could add a little bit of fragrance to your centerpieces as well.
Elizabeth

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 12:52 AM Go to message in response to: Sammiej23

That is the one thing I'm worried about...that a fish might die during the reception. But I talked to my cousin who had Bettas at her wedding plus she is the manager of a pet store, and she said as long as I make sure the water is the appropriate temp and everything they will be fine. None of hers died during the reception. I think it will be alright. We will have to move some of the tables after dinner so I think I will just make sure all the Bettas are safely on a table or in the back or something so they don't get knocked over...I'm only buying about 10 fish so I won't have to worry about a bunch of them!

Sammiej23 Posts : 9 Registered: 5/2/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

well u sound like u"ve gotten it all taken care of ,which im really glad to hear. im sure they r going to look absolutely great. i hope nothin but the best for u on ur big day

cldeross Posts : 113 Registered: 6/24/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: Kalli731

OMG!!! I am doing the same thing for my wedding. I saw it at a wedding I attended a few years ago. They used two containers, one inside the other to keep the fish and candles apart. They also used fish friendly plants in the water to provide something for them to nibble on. At the end of the reception, they asked people to adopt the fish and all were given happy homes. They make great favors!!! Also, there are LCD lights that are safe for them also.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine