Fortune cookies?

Online Users: 1,357 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

JennyM Posts : 1 Registered: 2/2/09
Fortune cookies?
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 10:16 PM

Ok, so my wedding is going to have a slight Japanese theme to it since that's where we met, but I'm a bit torn. I want to use fortune cookies from Fortune Wedding Favors but I know fortune cookies aren't exactly Japanese....but I do love them so much. (I ordered a small batch and they're AWESOME. Pretty and tasty)
Should I stick totally to my theme? Should I just get them? Or would people even know it's not the right culture even?

angelinh908 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/6/09
Re: Fortune cookies?
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 1:00 AM Go to message in response to: JennyM

hi JennyM,

I think you should totally got witht he fortune cookies. its fun, cute, and tasty! and its goes with the the asian theme.. and most importantly get what you want!!! who cares if it goes or what the guest say!!! they prob love it bc it taste so good!!!!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 13, 2009 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: JennyM

Well, if you have an "Asian" theme, you could use them--and really, who'd care if the cookies weren't 100% authentic (actually, I don't think they're even really Chinese)?
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

charmedfavors Posts : 7 Registered: 6/10/09
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: JennyM

I think the Fortune Cookies are a great idea, it gives a different flair to the whole event. Check out some other Asian inspired favors that can tie it all in.

Best Wishes

Danyell T Byrd
www.charmedfavors.com
"There is a story behind every Charmed Favor"

allisonfoster2B Posts : 65 Registered: 5/9/09
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 11:37 PM Go to message in response to: JennyM

Jenny,

I think that is such a cute idea!!! I say run with it. Most people think of asian to include twain, korea, china, and japan.

I met my FH in japan too!!! I just might use that idea, i was trying to think of a cute favor/desert.

Good luck
AllisonWink

CoutureBride27 Posts : 130 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 5:00 AM Go to message in response to: JennyM

Hi, to be completely honest I'm not that clued up with the differences between Japanese and Chinese, and to me they're very much the same. So ... some of your guests might be like me, and I'd say if you want to use fortune cookies go ahead, they're cute and YUMMY!
: )

Cherish all your happy moments:  they make a fine cushion for old age.

**Christopher Morley**

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: JennyM

Have you done any research on the origin of fortune cookies? I'm almost 100% sure that the "fortune cookie" as we know it today is an American creation. I think maybe there might be something similar that the cookie was based off of that is an original Asian creation. Do some research on Japanese treats, I'm sure there's something there that will work.

That being said, it sounds like you're not going with a full blown theme, just want to add a touch of it. I don't see why you couldn't incorporate fortune cookies. Most people already associate the treat with an Asian theme so go for it. Unless you specifically say "I'm having a Japanese theme" I don't think anyone will think twice about it not being the same culture.

~~~~~~~~
together is a perfect place to be because it's there that you can be delightfully imperfect. and there's nothing closer to perfection than being loved just because you are. 

AngeArmani Posts : 56 Registered: 3/29/09
Posted: Jun 15, 2009 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: JennyM

Fortune cookies are indeed awesome--It will definitely be a hit. I think the origins were from Japan before being adopted by the chinese if i'm not mistaken. Either way, maybe you can sort of tell everyone that they're Blossom cookies or Bonzai cookies or something...

My very own personal blog! It's all about cake toppers! weird huh?

http://ultimateweddingtopperguide.blogspot.com/

Please do! I'm interested in your thoughts!
Laughing

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: JennyM

Pretty clever vendor!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine