My cat's Eye :(

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 59

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: My cat's Eye :(
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

The only other thing I have in reply to Misty's post is that I'm not sure an ultrasound will be effective at determining if there is a tumor in the brain as the skull would block the US waves (*I think* - I'm not an x-ray tech).

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Cheetah, I just wanted to say that I am sorry about your cat.
That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - It wouldn't hurt to call and ask another vet you know? Is your kitty cuddling with you? Or show emotion when you try to love him? It makes sense to want to know the REASON you put him down, regardless. I hope you and your kitty will both be at peace sooner than later. HUGS

I wish I could give you a big hug.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Thanks PTG! I appreciate it!

Cheetah, no matter what you decide, as long as you make your decision with love for your kitty, it is the right one. A lot of people would not have noticed a dilated eye, so you're clearly very close to your furrbaby. You're facing a tough decision. But like I said: Make it with love and it is the right one.

If you do choose euthanasia, and you have other pets, bring them along and let them say goodbye after your kitty has passed. They understand it a lot more than we think and they cope pretty well if they know that their buddy has not disappeared. (Also, tell your kitty that he/she<sorry!> will always be welcome in your home. Clio has visited with me many times since I sent him to the Bridge)

Misty

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I'm bringing my cat to another vet tomorrow. Over the phone they told me that they may not be able to do anything and that I may need to see a neuoroloigst (I told him my whole story). So we'll see. About the ultra sound I don't think it can be done on my cat because the tumor is in the brain/eye supposetly. But I will ask tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure only an MRI can detect that but thanks for the suggestion. Everyone keeps telling me don't waste your money on an MRI since he is an old cat and since I will put him down to sleep either way.

Pinky, my cat doesnt' really cuddle with me. Like my FH said he may as well be dead. He doesn't do much. Just sleep mostly. My FH said that today he was making little cat noices so maybe he's in pain.

I want his ashes....you said it will cost about $500? Wow that's alot.

Earlier in the day when I thought I wanted an MRI I made an appointment for next Thurs at another vet that will check my cat out and see if he needs to see a neurologist. At this place they do MRI's and it's closer to home. But idk if I should have my cat wait another week JUST to see another vet. I mean, I decided I don't want an MRI so what would the point of seeing a neurologist be?

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - I don't think you should wait another week. I think that would be unfair to him to wait that long - if he even survives another week. Get him in to another vet ASAP. You can get the other records so they have something to compare if they want to run some of the same tests.

Good luck hun.

Oh - the cost of an individual cremation varies with your area. I think our last cat was about $200 but I'm in Virginia.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: My cat's Eye :( R.I.P. To My Kitty
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Well I put my cat down :( I took him to the other vet for the 2nd opinion and they were great! I'm going to bring my other cat there next time for his check ups. The vet was honest with me. She felt his head and kidneys (the other vet didn't do that!) She said that she is for certain that it's a tumor. I told her all of the cat's symptoms and she has all the paper work from the previous vet. After all was said and done she was honest with me and told me that it's time I let him go. She said that she is an optimistic vet but not this time :( I agreed with her and I was prepared. I said goodbyes to my kitty and I will keep his ashes. I"ve been crying all week! I'm sure the crying will stop right?

THANK YOU ALL!!! You were all a big help! I wish I can hug you all.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

MrsKG Posts : 115 Registered: 10/5/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, Im so sorry...I have been keeping up with your thread in hope something would magically happen and your kitty would get better. I didnt really know what to say or suggest as I havent been in this type of position (thats why I didnt post anything), but Im sure you did the right thing, as hard as it was. I have 2 kitties myself and I dont know how I would have handled this. Your very strong, and Im sure your sad...but in a few weeks or months when you feel a little better you could do something another poster suggested and rescue another kitty that needs a good home. You wouldnt be "replacing" your old kitty, just helping a new one have a happy and loving family! Hang in there, your in my thoughts.

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
--Sam Keen

wedding widget

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I'm sorry to hear that you had to put your cat down. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. It will get better.
That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, sorry that you had to put your kitty down. Best of luck. :(

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - I'm SO sorry. I am glad that you found a vet you like and she was able to give you some piece of mind in regards to your kitty's condition.

It will stop eventually - the crying. It was really hard at times because I would forget and turn to look for my cat (any one of the three I've lost recently) and I would get upset again. So it might come and go - it's different for every one.

Hugs

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, I'm sorry about your kitty. But at least you KNOW now and he's not suffering anymore. I wish I could give you a hug. I know how much it hurts.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Cheetah, I'm very sorry for your loss. You did the right thing.

iloveaiden Posts : 49 Registered: 5/27/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

sorry to hear about your kitty :(..

hopefully this will make you feel better

http://icanhascheeseburger.com/
Created by Wedding Favors

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Cheetah - I am glad that you sought another vet who was honest with you and was able to help you with your decision. I think you did the right thing. Its ok to cry. When I grieve, for a pet or human, I try to remember the good times I spent with them, afterall they live on in your memories. Your kitty is at rest and I am sure he is thankful that you ended his pain.

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine