your last name...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 54

Soon2bWellsFargo Posts : 125 Registered: 4/29/09
Re: your last name...
Posted: May 6, 2009 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDeLouis

I will take my husbands last name and use my maiden name as my middle name. That is the way the women in my father's family have done it for years. My mother just uses her married name.
I think if I were a career women I would keep my maiden name for business purposes, but use my married name in my personal life.
Daddy's Little Girl

HokieBride07 Posts : 12 Registered: 5/4/09
Posted: May 7, 2009 6:39 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2bWellsFargo

I meant actually creating a new name Mine+his, without a space or hyphen.

It is a little odd, but it would solve the problem of wanting to keep my name and have his name. I should start writing his name like that and leave it around different places for him to see it! Maybe it will grown on him...haha.

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: May 7, 2009 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: HokieBride07

Heh, Hokie, good luck with that! I think it's a creative idea.

FH and I haven't talked about this extensively yet, but we've got a unique possibility: His paternal grandfather was adopted as a child and took his new family's name, as have all of his descendants. FH suggested we both change our last names to his grandfather's original surname and rekindle that "bloodline." We'll see, we've still got awhile to decide...

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: May 30, 2009 2:01 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

I have no intention of being Jeanne James, so I'm definitely hyphenating my name. It's not that I don't like the idea of having the same name as my FH, it's just that, I like my name and I plan to keep it, at least some what. So right now I'm Jeanne Lisette Collet-Higel and I'll be Jeanne Lisette Collet Higel-James.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: May 30, 2009 2:22 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

I am having all four names (first/middle/mylast/hislast). It will just be like having two middle names. I haven't decided whether to hyphenate any of them or just have four separated names. Either way, I'm not getting rid of my last name. I'm Daddy's girl first and foremost. Hubby didn't go through the trouble of raising me, Dad did! :D

In all seriousness, our last name is very German and Hubby's is very French. I'd like to keep both names as a symbol of joining our roots together to become one family, if that makes sense.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: May 30, 2009 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

I took my husband's last name. My name was 9 letters, my new name is 13. I didn't feel like having to sign both names and hyphenate them because they're both so long. I love FH's last name, it just takes me a while to sign it and it doesn't fit on applications and things (at least that's what his whole family tells me!).

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

I will have 4 names as well. I would never dream of losing my middle name (I'm named after my mom) and my last name is really unique. But I want to share names with my FH and our future kids. Plus my first with his last is really pretty (plus I can pass for Italian).

My best friend got married this past weekend and she did not change her name. She is in medical school and has worked very hard to be Dr. Maidenname. So we address them as Dr. Maidenname and Mr. Lastname. They will hyphenate kids names (as of right now- this may change in the future because the name will be 15 letters long).

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

miriandbrendan Posts : 1 Registered: 5/30/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I find it so peculiar that brides to be find only two choices - they either take their husband to be's name or keep theirs, either adding on the husband to be's or just keeping theirs,
One thing that solves the "i want my kids to have the same name as me but want to keep my maiden name" dilemma is very simple: You both change names - should not the groom have to also change his name as he is promising to be yours all life and makes the "marriage adjustment" just like you? We are changing our names to my maiden name - his last name. And then our kids will have both our last names.
The US is so stone age when it comes to names. IN my home country the husband takes the new wife's name all the time - they just both pick which name THEY want to have - it is after all about forming a union that is new - I am not marrying my fiance's family but marrying him! :-)

M

ChrisandKait Posts : 14 Registered: 1/19/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 3:23 PM Go to message in response to: miriandbrendan

Miri,

I loved your post so much (we just got into an argument last night about me not wanting to give up my name), that I'm leaving it up on the computer for him to read, so that he'll know I'm not being completely ridiculous.

Thank you for giving me a bright point in my day.

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

A-line Gold Halter Sweetheart Drape Beaded Open Back Prom Dress With Sweep Train
Save up to 16% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $168.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-gold-halter-sweetheart-drape-beaded-open-back-prom-dress-with-sweep-train-p-31800.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine