My cat's Eye :(

Online Users: 1,355 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 59

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Re: My cat's Eye :(
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 9:28 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, I'm so sorry to hear that your cat is not doing well. Without knowing the full situation, I personally would probably agree that you may want to at least consider putting your cat to sleep.

My parents had to put both our childhood pets (cat and dog) to sleep in the last two years. The cat, Midnight, was about 2 years ago. He had health problems for LONG time. My parents didn't want to see him go, so he had surgery for kidney problems and various other treatments. In the end, he lived longer, but he was clearly in pain and not happy. Fast forward to last year - the family dog was moping around the house and acting off. My mom took her to the vet and they determined that she had a brain tumor. The vet told my mother that she was in pain and that if we wanted, they could perform surgery, but that there was a low chance of survival. After her experience with trying everything to keep Midnight alive, my parents made the (very very) difficult decision to put Heidi (the dog) down that day. Even though they wanted her to be around forever, my mom felt that after her experience with Midnight, she would really only be keeping Heidi alive for herself and that it wasn't worth prolonging a few more months of life where she'd likely be in pain.

...I don't know if it's better or worse for you to hear all that. Heidi's illness came up very suddenly for us and it was very hard, but in the end, we knew she wasn't in pain anymore.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. Please feel free to PM me.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Thanks for your stroy. I wouldnt want to make my cat suffer.

The vet just called and said that the blood work all came out fine. He really thinks he has a tumor. So what do I do now? Do I spend $800 for an MRI? If he has a tumor I'm not going to have them do surgery, besides they may not be able to remove it depending on the location of the tumor. So if he has a tumor I will put my cat down :( It will just give me a peace of mind to know for sure if he has a tumor before putting him down.

What would you guys do? Put him down without finding out what he has? Or put him down after spending $800 and having an MRI done to see if there is a tumor?

It will be a miracle if he doesn't have a tumor and he decides to get better real soon. But I dont think that's going to happen :(

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I think the biggest question to ask yourself is what if he doesn't have a tumor? It sounds like something is wrong with him and your vet clearly doesn't know how to fix it. If you get the MRI for him and he doesn't have a tumor, then what? Do you take him to another vet? Do you wait and see? Do you get pain meds in case he's in pain? Do you put him to sleep anyway?

Honestly, I don't know, which is why I'm asking. I apologize if I'm coming off in any way negative - I just know if it were me, and it were my pet, I would want someone to be pressing me on those questions. If I knew that if he had a brain tumor, I would put him down, or that if he didn't have a brain tumor, nobody knows what's wrong with him but something is and I would likely put him down, I would probably "save" the $800.

Obviously, it's much easier for me to say that to you than to do it myself. If it were my "baby," I actually would probably take him to a second vet for an opinion. Or for the MRI. But I think it will be easiest for you to make a plan of action before you take him in, if you decide to. Aka, if he does have a tumor, then you will put him to sleep. If he doesn't have a tumor, then you will (fill in the blank... take him to another vet, get pain meds, something else). Even though you're emotional now, I think it would be easier to make the decision in the abstract beforehand than when you actually have results in your hand.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - Is taking him to another vet still an option?

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

ChristyBride Posts : 59 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. I've been watching this thread hoping it wasn't a tumor.

A few years ago, I had to put down my 1 year old kitty because of a tumor pressing on her optic nerve (making the one eye dialate). The vet never suggested an MRI because he could actually feel the tumor/mass under the skin by the neck and had me feel it too (although I had no idea it was there). I had taken her to the vet in the first place because of the dialated eye and the lethargy. She also didn't want to be held as much and probably was having trouble breathing. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life to put Sally down (may she rest in peace.)

No one can tell you what or what not to do for your cat. The MRI is $800 and is not going to fix her (only possibly lead to more tests and $$$). The pain of having surgery or undergoing treatments is hard on our pets because they don't know why they are being put through it all (unlike humans battling a disease). Make the choice of what to do from your heart.

Best wishes and virtual ****HUG****

preview image

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

Thanks everybody for your concerns. Pinky, if I were to take my cat to another vet I may have to pay for all the tests they have done already on him...I think...unless they transfer the records over.

I'm so confued right now. My cat is not right, he is hiding and sleeping under the sink. He only comes out to drink water. He must be in some sort of pain or discomfort. At this point I just want my cat to feel good and at peace. If he doesn't have a tumor I will go to another vet for sure. But I think all signs point to a tumor and I would feel better knowing it was a tumor before I put him down then not ever knowing why I put him down. I don't know if that makes any sense.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - You can get copies of all the tests they've run. The new vet may still want to run them again, to see if anything has changed - that's a good way to look at things.

I don't know of anything else to tell you - I'm sorry.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Argh! Now I realy don't know what to do! I called to make an appointment for the MRI but the lady told me that I would have to make a checkup/evaulation appointment first in order for them to determine if he needs an MRI. I asked if the MRI would be done that same day. She said no :( So that means that I would have to drive an hour and a half to the vet, then back home, then again take time off from work to drive another hour and a half to bring him back for the MRI! To me it just doesn't seem worth it. I hope my cat isn't in pain....I know he isn't happy or too comfortable. Should I just request him to be put to sleep? Who do I call for that? The vet? ARGH! Why do I have to go through this!

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

From a personal standpoint, I can understand how hard it is to put your cat down and how upsetting it is....death of a beloved pet is never easy, especially when they are like family.

However, from your posts, it sounds like he is in alot of pain and suffering already. I probably wouldn't get the MRI just because he is 14 years old, and I wouldn't want to put him through more crap. Even if it is NOT a tumor, and something else, I couldn't justify the possibly extensive testing and therapy to find out what WAS or IS wrong... I mean, for what? just to give the cat a an extra year or two of life? If he was lucky? I would feel like I am only doing it to benefit my own purposes, not the cat.

My cat did a whoozy to his back muscles when he was 8-9 months old, and thankfully he healed w/ steroids, but if he didn't it was surgury ($2000) or ... the worst. But he was only 8-9 months old...if this was my 14 year old cat, I don't think I would put him through that. I would be sad, but then again I am numb to this sort of stuff from rescue work.....and I would probably see it more like I gave him a good life, maybe once I heal emotionally, I can give another homeless cat a good life... That is jsut my own opinion.... there is nothing wrong with greiving but there is also nothing wrong with admitting that the cats continued suffering may not be worth all the tests.

Jaime :)

Wedding Pictures and the Furbabies: http://web.me.com/me182a

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: mrsJLA

Cheetah - I'm with MrsJLA on this. As hard as it is, and I know it's hard, I think it's time to let him go.

I'm sorry.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I know it's time to let him go...I just need to have a peace of mind and make sure that he has a tumor. I will feel guilty not knowing what he has. I would always wonder, "did he really have a tumor?" I don't think I could live with myself.

I found an MRI place closer to home. Unfortuntely it won't be cheap.

I'm just a mess right now. No one else is helping me with this. I feel so alone. It helps to go on here and "talk" with you guys. All your advice is really helpful.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Actually...now I'm thinking of just putting him down, without the MRI. You guys are right, he's been through enough. So how do I do that? Just call the vet to make an appointment? That sounds so awful. I was hoping he would pass in his sleep....I mean, it sucks. All his blood work came out fine. But he sure isn't feel right, I can tell. I don't want him to suffer. I feel like I'm suffering along with him :(

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - Call the vet you've been seeing. Tell them that you need an appointment to put your cat down. If you tell them that, a vet worth his salt will fit you in in his appointments THIS evening.

IF they are unwilling to accomodate you, call another vet.

Think now about what you want/can afford to do. Are you going to have him individually cremated where you get the remains back? (This is pricey.) Do you have a place you can bury him if you keep his body (This can be aginst the law in some places.)?

They will ask you these questions when you get there. I'm not trying to be a bitch, I'm just trying to help you prepare.

It's NEVER an easy decision. But I feel when the quality of life has decreased to the point you are describing, we owe it to our animals to give them peace in return for the unselfish love they have gifted us with.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah, I know it's horribly not easy, but I think you're probably making the right call. You know that something is not right with your cat. In the end, it would be nice to know why, but at the same time, something is not right with him.

Can your FH or your mother or a friend come with you? I think it would be helpful to have someone there. I'll be thinking of you.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Cheetah - This is from Misty/CatStandish (she can't post at work):

when my cat Clio got his tumor, they found it by doing an ultrasound, not an MRI. It costs a lot less. I didn't pay out the wazoo for it, and yet my vet was able to tell me how big it was and where, so I could make an informed decision.

However, this was at the end of Clio's life (I put him down after she told me he had a baseball sized tumor in his liver.... it seemed kinder). Before that, when he was first diagnosed with Diabetes, my vet at the time knew NOTHING...not even the simple things like changing the diet to a low carb (he thought it was still okay to feed him Meow Mix...all of the experts on the subject will tell you to put them on wet cat food, not gravy, and get them off of grocery store dry). He knew nothing...I was educating him.

Clio got worse and worse and it was awful to watch. I could tell how much pain he was in and I called a few places about creamation and boxes and such, and found out how much that was going to be.... and I decided that if I could spend $500 on his DEATH.... then couldn't I spend $500 with a new vet to see if maybe they could save him? The new vet eased his suffering so much that he was a normal cat for 3 years, until he got the tumor. $500 bought me three years with my beloved cat.

She's willing to spend $800 on the cat. But with the vet she's going, that's a waste of money. Call vets in the area, talk to them. See if they have a clue and where they'd go with it. This vet does not know.

Vets are like human doctors in that some specialize; however, with a human generalist, they'll say "I'm sorry, you'll need to see a cardiologist or endocrinologist" or whatever and refer you on to someone else. A bad vet won't. Even though there are many arenas of specialization, the vet you take your pet to for annual shots is NOT necessarily the vet you need when yout pet gets truly ill. That's when you sometimes have to explore alternatives.

Sure... the new one might charge for the tests... but maybe $800 with a new vet will help the kitty--certainly, $800 with the old vet is not going to do anything.

This is the time when you have to make a hard decision... are you loyal to your VET.... or to your PET? (And it IS hard to recognize when our vets, who we have often gone to for years, who have been with our pets since kitten or puppyhood, are not the ones that they need right now. I have been in this position. And it almost cost me Clio long before his time.)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine