Why we love Electra Cruises

Online Users: 1,331 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,755

icstarsinureyez Posts : 50 Registered: 6/22/08
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: 4everdestiny

hellokitty and 4everdestiny,
Hey girls, i havent been on here in forever either, but I never recieved that email and I was blogging on here back when you two were. That's weird. Maybe a blog post doesnt hold up in court without a persons real information behind it?? I dunno. Anyways, I just went through and read the past like 3 pages or so to catch up, and its so fun to read all the new brides posts who are where I was a year ago. I AM DOWN TO 34 DAYS!!!!! hehe. I am getting really excited and ansy.
For those of you who havent seen me on here.. which most of the new girls havent, I am getting married on the royal princess through pacific avalon on July 8th. I think I am still the only one on here who is through pacific avalon, but if anyone needs any advice or an opinion about them just ask. I have had a great experience with them so far. I meet with Carrie on the 21st to pay my final balance and work out all the kinks. I have assembled a list of like 200 questions to ask them, being as I think they've gotton tired of me calling for little stuff every other week for the past year. Lol. I just did the seating chart the other day and OMG that was the most difficult thing Ive had to do for the whole wedding! You inevidabley end up putting someone at a table they dont like or dont know.. ugh!.
All I have left to do is to finish the favors, I started them but then ran out of stuff so I need to get on that; and the place cards. I dont know how they want us to do them yet so I dont want to print all of them and then waste them by doing them wrong. A couple of tips for the new brides if you have the time and the creativity that I learned. Michaels and Target have the GREATIEST wedding invitation kits. If you're literate with microsoft publisher you can do really great things. My fiance and I did our invitations from a kit sold at target, and I added some filigree flourishes and stuff I found on google and they turned out gorgeous! All of my guests who didnt know I made them thought we paid a LOT of money for them. It really only took about 50 bucks and about 4 hours. If anyone wants any help with theirs I would be happy to help, because my fiance and I had a great time making them together.
Also, I bought another kit that was actually supposed to be invitations, but I made it into a menu and it goes with our colors (espresso brown and tiffany blue), and I was able to pull off different websites (that sampled wedding menus) words like "menu" and our initials, and alter the color and put them on. I really think having a printed menu adds something to the table, and I spent like 17 bucks on the kit. You could do the same thing with programs too! I really think if you have the time you can add a lot to your reception for a lot less money than you think!
Another website I found that is great is "recycleyourwedding.com", its kinda like EBay for brides. I might be the last person to have heard about it, but if I am not then go check it out. I got my table runners there for like 2.50/each because someone had them left over. I mean some of this stuff, what are you going to do with after the wedding???? You can also sell stuff on there too. Like people have their dresses up or extra favors. It works out well if you have a smaller wedding and can accomadate less stuff.
And to go back to HelloKitty's post about the housing market, I AGREE COMPLETELY! my fiance and I were trying to pick up a forclosure in Temecula in January/Feb and it was impossible. We were approved for an FHA loan, which would be great if ANY of the houses qualified for it. The one's that were in better shape got picked up by investors that could pay cash, and the ones that were left didnt qualify because there was stuff wrong with them. Like with the FHA loan, if the kitchen is without a stove, the FHA loan wont qualify the house. Its retarded. Then, Jeff got laid off from the school district and has spent the last FIVE months looking for a job... so we quit looking obviously. It's been very stressful and very scary, because he has a degree and couldnt even land a job at the market! We've squeezed through and he just got a job so we're now recovering. Its been hard because I have been supporting him and paying for the wedding myself. There was a few times we thought about postponing the wedding when we were in a better place financially, but it was also after I printed all the invitations and we had paid for the honeymoon, so we would have lost a lot of money. I guess all that matters is that we have each other and a roof over our head (even though its currently my mom's roof *cringe*). Ok well my hands are going to fall off from typing, but I am going to try to be on here as much as I can now that the big day is in site.

Emily

<3 07-08-09 <3

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Re: Why we love Electra Cruises
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

Kitty- you have to at least go collect your Brides Award from Kelley!!! We have missed you!

I'm sorry about all this craziness. It's everywhere. Cali is NOT the place to live right now. PM me with you email and I will send a note if we get together again!

Ladies- my own thoughts on flowers. Go with simple. The ocean is what everyone will be looking at, and you don't need to spend tons of money on flowers. My whole decoration bill was around $300.

crystalgal Posts : 46 Registered: 8/14/08
Re: Post
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: icstarsinureyez

Hello! Wow you've been missing on this thread. By far, that's the longest post I've seen...LOL! It's getting close for you! I'm getting nervous ...3 mo, 3 weeks! To all other brides getting married in 2010...believe me time flies by super fast! My colors are similar to yours espresso and pool. I bought the Brides invites at Michaels, the brown and ivory ones, and we are adding a touch of the pool color by wrapping the ribbon on the inside invite. I bought the matching place cards & programs too. I also got the chocolate boxes for the favors from them too. I will keep you in mind if I need suggestions or help for printing out all my stuff. Michaels is way cheap...I used the coupons from paper and went every week to get one item. It seems a bit much but worth the savings. I was pricing invites around and they are way too much.

Soon2BMrsLewis Posts : 60 Registered: 2/2/09
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: crystalgal

To go off of what she said... either go on Michaels.com and they send you a coupon every week and you can print out as many as you need or just google "michael's coupons" and you can ALWAYS find one - it's never failed. It's always for 40% or 50% off any regular priced item. I've brought numerous with me before and I've had some people that will even let me do multiple transactions so I can use more then one coupon, if not just go whenever you can to pick up one thing and you'll never pay full price. Love it. :)

-Laura, the future Mrs. Lewis

Cin4Joel Posts : 8 Registered: 1/22/09
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BaWifey1109

I'm getting married next friday! I'll be posting pictures of it after i come back from the honeymoon! I'm so excited. 6 months went by so fast!

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: Cin4Joel

how exciting!!! Next week...are you getting nervous? I'm getting nervous everyday I look at the countdown. I love seeing pics of the weddings on here! So where are you going on your honeymoon?

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

LuvAthena...what did I win??? Ooooh ooooh oooh, I want to know. I love awards. He he.

For those girls still undecided about which florist to choose, I highly recommend LaVonne's. She's reasonably priced...not too cheap, but not too expensive either. Jean from LaVonne's is very personable, flexible and very talented and she's got lots of pictures. If you find you still want to go cheaper, about a year ago, everyone here also raved about Marina's. The brides just trusted her and went by word of mouth although she has no "portfolio" so to speak. From what I heard, Marina's does awesome flowers and is very fairly priced.

Photobucket

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 12:00 AM Go to message in response to: crystalgal

Crystalgal:
I love the wedding invites at michaels. I actually didnt look at them until after I had bought mine, Mine dont go with our colors, but they matched my wedding dress which I am the ONLY ONE who will notice.. but whatever it made me happy. They are ivory tri fold with velium cover that has silver flowers on it. It ties with a ribbon on the inside, which my FH took like 2 hours to tie all of them. He wouldnt let me touch them "because I was doing them wrong!". LOL. What are you using for favors??

Emily

<3 07-08-09 <3

MsCristaKay Posts : 19 Registered: 4/28/09
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 12:38 AM Go to message in response to: icstarsinureyez

icstarsinureyez-

I looked at Pacific Avalon before I booked with Electra. We were comparing Majestic to Eternity. I thought Pacific Avalon was great, we met with a girl that was the easiest person to get along with, which made the decision making hard. Both companies are great, so at the end of the day it's down to the little details, which for us was an elevator in Eternity and the menu options. I think both companies are fantastic, so it's hard to go wrong either way. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Thanks to you and everyone else with all your advice on invites, floral etc. I'm actually going to check out Michael's for the invitations, I'm for anything that will alleviate cost. I've already planned favors, so that's one thing I don't have to think about much anymore, until I actually order them.

With a 2010 wedding, I'm truly appreciating all these posts. So thanks ladies, your advice makes it difficult to stress during planning! lol :)

You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.  ~Dr. Seuss

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 1:32 AM Go to message in response to: icstarsinureyez

Icstarzinureyez:
I think I remember those invites...I always checked to see what they had. Mine are ivory and choc brown, folds into an envelope with pockets. It comes with brown ribbon but we are switching the ribbon to pool. I hear what your saying on your FH not letting you to it. LOL! Mine is already getting on me to start them . I may be in the same place because I will probably do it wrong. My favors...I got the chocolate boxes and again have to switch out to blue ribbon for those too. I'm going to fill them with blue and brown m&ms and some of them personalized with our picture on them. To some this sounds cheesy but we like to have fun like that....we like to see how people would react.

Claire85 Posts : 56 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: crammy

Let me tell you it was downpour on our wedding day January 2008, it just meant we took more pictures inside! It was still AMAZING and many people thought it was so cool to be out on a yacht in the rain. I had my wedding on the Crystal so there was tons of room to be inside. And my piece of advice is to take pictures at the end running through the rain in your dress (who cares you'll never wear it again and you can get it cleaned!) So, don't worry about the weather at all :-)

MrsWilletToBe Posts : 13 Registered: 2/27/09
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: Claire85

Hey Ladies,

Sorry I'm few and far between with posts. Glad to read all the great info though. I have a photography question, what does the BASIC (read cheapest, lol) package entail?

Also, does anyone know the stipulations with bringing aboard your own photographer? I posted an Ad on Craigslist for an affordable photographer and I got 38 replies back! I found a gal (gorgeous portfolio) that offered to do them, on location, with a CD of printable images, including touch ups - for 100 bucks! I thought about possibly going down that road again with the wedding photographer.

We're getting our engagement photos on the beach on July 18 - yay!! :)

MsCristaKay Posts : 19 Registered: 4/28/09
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilletToBe

MrsWilletToBe:
Electra Cruises just recently gave the go ahead for you to bring a photographer of your own on the yacht. They used to require that they carry $1 million in insurance, but they now allow you to bring your own with no additional costs or restrictions. At least that's according to my coordinator. I know the basic package doesn't get you a whole lot, but based on this board, some of the photographers give you more than the packages say.

You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.  ~Dr. Seuss

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 7:15 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

Kitty come over to NWR and let us know what you've been doing! Kelley will have to tell you your award. I can't remember. lol.

SO ladies, any of you getting married on a boat other than the Eternity/Crystal? (Anyone know why they changed the name?)

Posted: Jun 8, 2009 11:40 PM Go to message in response to: MsCristaKay

MsCrista:
Yah I would have loved to have gone with one with an elevator. Unfortunantly, we arnt having enough guests to even qualify for that boat. It was something we took into consideration between choosing between the companies.. because I dont think any of the Pac Avalon boats have them.. maybe the biggiest one.. I dunno. We are only having about 45 people, so it disqualified us from reserving the boat with the elevator. I liked that Pac Avalon guarenteed their origional quote though. I read a lot of brides complaining that their prices skyrocketed by the wedding.. and my FH and I are paying for it on our own and couldnt afford to take that chance. Sounds like you are super prepared though! I dunno how ur going to wait a yr and a half.. a yr was horrible for me because you run out of things to do eventually (believe it or not!).

Crystalgal- I think i have seen the ones your talking about. I prob would have gone with ones that matched our colors too but I didnt seen them before I bought mine. I really really loved mine though. So we are using the same colors?? Thats awesome.. i love this pallett. Our cake is going to be blue with brown ribbon and bows on it too. Very modern with clean lines. Sometimes I think it takes more skill to make a perfect understated cake then a complicated busy one. Less room for error :). I was thinking of buying a cake stand though because since our wedding is so small.. our cake is a lot smaller too. My friend at work is actually using brown, apricot and light blue. I LOVED that mix.. I wish I would have thought of it myself honestly. LOL. She's having a fall wedding.. which I envy. Orig we planned ours around Jeff's work/school sched but now he's changed directions and it wouldnt have mattered anymore. 30 days and counting though! :)

<3 07-08-09 <3

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine