what is trash the dress?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

allisonfoster2B Posts : 65 Registered: 5/9/09
what is trash the dress?
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 11:25 PM

So ive been reading alot about 'trash the dress' what is it?

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: what is trash the dress?
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 7:43 AM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

It's when you wear your wedding dress again after the wedding and take pictures in it at a place of your choice. You can take those pictures days or even a year after your wedding day. Usually people pick places where they can get their dress dirty...aka trash the dress lol. Some locations people pick are the beach and park. It looks like fun but I probably won't do it. I'm sure many of the ladies here can post examples of their trash the dress shoot.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

examples:

http://capitalcitychris.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/trash-the-dress.jpg

http://www.weddingphoto-riess.com/_img/trash-the-dress-hochzeitsfotos02.jpg
http://trashthedress.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/nats10.jpg

http://www.charlottesvilleweddingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/trash_dress_1.jpg

It looks like SO much fun and I will DEFINITELY be doing this after my weddin'.

My Planning Blog

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

Dear Allison,

Essentially you ruin your dress and get photographed while doing it.

It's for brides who want to ensure that no one, ever, wears that dress again.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Sorry AOTB, but you're wrong on that one. Just because it's called Trash the Dress does NOT mean you actually trash it so that it's no longer wearable. A little water does not hurt a dress... a little sand does not hurt a dress.... a little dirt does not hurt a dress.... All of these things are cleanable. You're not physically tearing the dress.

TTD is creative photography instead of the standard cookie cutter stuff. The term is a little misleading. Just google it and you'll find tons of examples.

I wanted so badly to do this but decided I didn't want to pay a photographer for it. I have plenty of wedding photos anyway.

Member and Co-Founder of POOP:   "People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket 

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 6:37 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

I love this idea. FH is probably going to take my TTD pics the day after the wedding, as long as my hair still looks ok. He is a great photographer and our honeymoon spot has a lot of great places for photography.

:D
That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 4:00 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

A little water does not hurt a dress... a little sand does not hurt a dress.... a little dirt does not hurt a dress....

Maybe "a little" of any of these things doesn't hurt the dress--but, lying in a pond, wading into the ocean, or running through a briar patch with your train dragging after you certainly does. It just nauseates me that a bride would do this for the sake of some "fun" pictures, when there's probably a deserving person (or charity thrift shop) who could use the dress, but would not be able to afford it any other way. These are tough times, and "trashing" a perfectly good dress seems like a terrible waste.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Myra, I know a few girls who have done TTD shoots, and in all cases, the dresses looked great after they were dry cleaned. They certainly could have been worn again. Yes, there are some brides who go to extremes and the dress will not be wearable after, but I think the vast majority are. And let's get real...how many women do you know that actually donate their dress to a thrift shop?!?! No one I know.

I fully intend to do a TTD session after the wedding. My photographer and I have already discussed it and she has some amazing ideas. I hope the dress isn't destroyed, but if it is, I will get some fantasitc, artistic pictures out of the deal, and my FH will have a really fun day. Does it make me selfish to have a fun day in my dress?

Myra and AOTB, I'm curious...did either of YOU donate your wedding dress to charity?

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jun 6, 2009 5:14 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Dear AOTB,

As usual, you are showing us all just how small-minded and condescending you are. Why don't you invent a time machine and go back to the 1950's? It seems to be the decade you're stuck in anyway. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you don't have to be a snarky bitch while doing it.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

Heidi--Just posting to say that one of my friends first donated her dress to me so I could see if I could alter it into something that I would be happy with for my wedding, and she requested that I drop it at Goodwill if I couldn't use it. It was going to cost too much to alter, so I dropped it off at Goodwill as requested.

Then I considered giving my dress to Goodwill after the wedding, but I just love it too much.

My 2 cents on TTD: you don't actually have to trash the dress. I considered doing TTD shots (but didn't), but what I probably would've done was take some pics down in the warehouse district in downtown L.A., since that would be such a contrast with where we had the wedding (at a sort of rustic wooded restaurant in the mountains above L.A.). My dress wouldn't have ended up any more "trashed" than it did just walking around at my wedding with the train down. I ended up with a very dirty train just from the ceremony and post-ceremony photo session. The dry cleaners got everything out and if I did want to donate it, it's in good condition.

preview image

Korina Posts : 11 Registered: 12/16/08
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: allisonfoster2B

I dont think that i am going to TTD in my real wedding dress but i might buy something alot simplier(and cheaper) to wear to my photo shoot.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

Actually, no. It was my second wedding, in the fall, and I wore a velvet suit. After the wedding, I shortened the skirt and wore it several times. I still have it, and it still looks modern (33 years later), but it doesn't fit me (too fat!) I think it would fit my daughter--I'll have to see if she'd want it--at least the jacket.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: myra

I have to say that most of the examples I have seen of TRASHING the dress have been extreme, and I don't think most brides choose those options. I personally will be wearing mine on some local hiking trails. Sure, it might get dirt on the train, just like it will at the ceremony and reception. But then, that's what dry cleaners are for. In the meantime, if I am the one paying for this dress, I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.

And I fully intend to have it cleaned and preserved after my shoot. I don't know that I'll be donating it...if there aren't any stains after dry cleaning I will probably try to resell it.
My Planning Blog

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Happygirl, I do know that there are some brides out there who will donate their dress, and it's wonderful. However, I do think that they are the minority. I think that most of us want to keep our dress as a special memento of a wonderful day.

Again, of course there are some brides who go to extremes with TTD and the dress truly is ruined, but the few people that I personally know who have done them have not ruined the dress anymore than they did just from wearing it to the ceremony and reception. And I agree...it's your dress, do what you want with it. I don't think that it is selfish to do what you want with your belongings. There's probably someone out there who could have benefited from the cookie I ate with lunch. Didn't stop me from eating it!

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 8, 2009 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

Which is it, then, AOTB? Pay for the wedding you can afford (which includes purchase of whatever dress you wear) or donate your dress to charity or else feel guilty for being "selfish"?? huh? really? I thought the standard line was:

getting married is a grown up thing, be a grown up and pay for the wedding you can afford.

Or maybe it is just this:

(paraphrased)

I am perfect, my family is perfect, whatever rules I tell you all on brides are the only rules, they are correct and always will be, because you see, I know everything. And since I came from money I have class, and oh yes, did I forget to mention that my children are perfect and so am I, you see I travel to France regularly. If you disagree with anything I say or think my rules are outdated, you are obviously lacking all class.

(paraphrased)

If you wear a strapless dress, you will look hideous and tacky and practically naked in photos. Your guests won't say anything (assuming they are classy like me) but they will all think it. Same with if you have a cash bar, wear black to a wedding, computer type your addresses on your invitations, do a honeymoon gift registry, have a wedding shower thrown by mom or a family member, have a traditional wedding ceremony if you do a vow renewal later on (gasp, that is the worst of all, it is a FAKE wedding) and I'm sure I'm leaving some items out.

For me, this lecturing and condescension is getting very tired and old, by the way.

To the OP and PP, IMO there is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with doing whatever you choose with the dress that you own after your wedding. I am keeping mine and didn't do TTD but only cause we already have a ton of photos and choose not to spend more on a photographer. I don't intend to donate it, I don't even expect anyone will wear it again, but I am keeping it because I want to. Simple. I do other things, things I CHOOSE to do for issues and causes I believe in, but really those are not anyone's business but mine.

Still interested to know, though, if AOTB donated her dress.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine