Last Minute Wedding... Help!!!

Online Users: 1,346 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Last Minute Wedding... Help!!!
Posted: May 29, 2009 9:32 PM

I recently got "re-engaged" (As in he actually got down on one knee, said the speech, all that jazz), however, FH is in the Army and has just been notified that he will be deploying late July. We have always known he would be getting sent and have always said we wanted to be married before he goes over. We both just thought we'd have more time so we have not even BEGUN to plan our wedding... have not even saved up to have one. Sooo we are trying to throw together something small & intimate with just the closest of friends and family. Unfortunately we will only have about $1000 to pay for the whole thing. (like I said we weren't prepared at all) I know this is next to impossible. I even told him that we could just go to the court house and then do a ceremony & reception when he gets back. He hates this idea! He says that it wouldn't be the same and he doesn't feel right doing that. So with the help of my dearest best friend and my amazing mother, we are trying to put together a ceremony. If anyone has any ideas for really inexpensive ceremony sites, preferably outdoors, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks so much!
Soon-to-be Mrs. PV2 Phillips

So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day.

Edited by: PHILLIPS2B on May 29, 2009 9:28 PM

FMrsJG Posts : 77 Registered: 2/21/08
Re: Last Minute Wedding... Help!!!
Posted: May 29, 2009 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

My advice: a park. Kansas City, MO to rent a space in the park for a wedding...$50. Or find a local park see how much they are charging...I know where I'm from its $25 for an area. It will be a beautiful summer wedding that will be simple and you can do it w/all the family! Reception: favorite restaurant or something that suites your style of wedding! There are many ways to do a very small intimate wedding! Just be creative!

Posted: May 29, 2009 10:32 PM Go to message in response to: FMrsJG

Thanks FutureMrs.Goose!

I will call around to some of thye local parks. I know the big one Forest Park (I'm in St. Louis), costs $400 for 4 hours, but I hadn't thought about some of the smaller ones.

So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day.

Edited by: PHILLIPS2B on May 29, 2009 9:32 PM

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 29, 2009 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Does any of your family have a nice backyard? Get married in the backyard, then have a catered hors d'oevres reception with cocktails or wine/beer, and cake. Or if your families like to cook, you could do potluck.

preview image

Posted: May 29, 2009 11:48 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Unfortunately, none of them really do, however there is a park nearby where we live that has a beautiful fountain/pond that I'm going to check into. My best friend also took it upon herself to get ordained to officiate. I love the idea of just doing hors de'vores and cocktails. I could actually make them and/or enlist help from a friend of mine that works for a caterer! Great ideas ladies... keep 'em coming!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 30, 2009 4:38 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Dear Mrs Phillips,

"He hates this idea!"

So do I. I think a wedding should be the Real Deal, not some kind of costume party reenactment.

I second the idea of getting married in a park. If you only invite your very close friends and family, that should work. Post-ceremony, you can have a nice reception with wedding cake, punch, coffee and champagne (if the park allows alcohol). You would need minimal decorations, maybe just a tablecloth and plates, plus a bouquet for the bride.

If your family is willing or able to help with picnic food, you could also serve potato salad, cole slaw, chips, soft drinks and (possibly) burgers if there are grilling facilities available.

Or, you could just serve the cake, punch and champagne at your house post-ceremony.

You are part of a long proud tradition of military couples throwing a wedding together at the last minute, on limited funds. My own father and mother did just that, post-WWII. My dad was released from the Navy in Jan, 1946, went to a pay phone and called his girlfriend: "Honey, I'm coming home. Plan a wedding." My mom and her mother went into high gear. Remember, also, there was still war rationing in those days. My mom had to beg and borrow rationing coupons for sugar for the cake, fabric for a dress and nylon stockings. My dad borrowed a suit from his Uncle Bill.

It took him a week to get home, by overcrowded train full of returning GIs, then a week for the marriage license waiting period, then they got married. Their marriage was unusually happy, lasting 45 years until my mother's death.

They never regretted not having the "big white wedding". They were forward-looking people, more interested in Tomorrow than Yesterday.

nearlymrsn Posts : 25 Registered: 11/7/08
Posted: May 30, 2009 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

This same situation happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. They found out her hubby was shipping out, so they decided to just do a justice of the peace thing. His co-workers found out, and decided to organize a wedding for them. They found a pastor, went to one of the parks in Fulton, and had a small service in front of the lake. They each just wore nice clothes (no wedding dress). Her mom and I stopped to buy some flowers for a bouquet on the way to the park, and others brought them champagne to toast with. After the service, they had cake and punch at the pavilion at the park. I have to say, it is the only wedding I have been to where I cried. I went to 4 weddings that summer, her's was by far the most meaningful. There is a lot you can do to make it special for you without spending a whole lot of money. While I know it wasn't the wedding she dreamed of, it was a wonderful day for them, and a day she will always remember.

Nearly Mrs. N.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10704;95/st/20090801/e/Our+Wedding/k/1944/event.png[/img]
[/url]

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 30, 2009 9:18 PM Go to message in response to: nearlymrsn

Dear Mrs N,

"They found a pastor, went to one of the parks in Fulton, and had a small service in front of the lake. They each just wore nice clothes (no wedding dress). Her mom and I stopped to buy some flowers for a bouquet on the way to the park, and others brought them champagne to toast with."

Very very cool.

AmandaJ0 Posts : 34 Registered: 3/1/09
Posted: May 30, 2009 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

A cheap alternative to a wedding dress is to wear a bridesmaid dress. Some come in white or ivory and cost a lot less! Call your local community colleges for help with photography. I used a 2nd year photography student with an amazing portfolio and it cost me less than $200.

Posted: May 30, 2009 10:41 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

We also bought our wedding inviations response cards and thank-you's from Micheals'. We will print them off ourselves using templates from Brides.com. The total cost for 40 invitations, response cards, and thank-you's? $50! Our guest book will be a matted picture of us where our guests can sign the outside egdes. Cheap, cheap, cheap! Plus, it is something personal. Also, the men could wear khaki pants and polo shirts to cut costs.

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: AmandaJ0

We just got some amazing news! He's not leaving July 26th after all!!! Thank you so much for all the great ideas, they will definitely still come in handy!

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

Wow! Congratulations! That is happy news that probably takes a lot of stress out of your life!

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: AmandaJ0

Haha... You're not kiddin! Thanks again for all the help!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine