where did you register & why?

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 8

chickie404 Posts : 13 Registered: 10/15/08
where did you register & why?
Posted: May 26, 2009 9:35 AM

How did you decide where to register? Did you base the decision on discounts, registry policies, there being a location near your house, how much you like their stuff? Anyone go for Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Target, Williams Sonoma, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.?

I started a registry at Macy's and am trying to figure out where else to sign up for great serveware, barware, tablecloths (lots of entertaining stuff, since we've lived together a while and have a lot of basics). Thanks!

Elizabeth40245 Posts : 59 Registered: 5/11/09
Re: where did you register & why?
Posted: May 26, 2009 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: chickie404

We registered at Macy's also, based on the references of friends. We also registered at Target. I think they have great stuff, and the registry experience there was much more pleasant for us than at Macy's. This also allowed us to easily pick out items in a wide variety of price ranges.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 26, 2009 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: chickie404

I registered at Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond. LOVED them both. Both have great return policies.

I looked at Target, but their return policy sucks and others on the board had issues with them - although I think their return policy has changed since.

I would Look for Target in the Forum Search and Registry - there are other threads on here with TONS of info.

amlewis83 Posts : 22 Registered: 5/11/09
Posted: May 26, 2009 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: chickie404

We haven't registered yet but we have talked about it and I think we are set on Target, Macys, BB&Beyond. But how many is too many? I kinda also want to do JCPennys because my grandparents live in nowheresville and the only big store they really have out the is Pennys. They are older and I don't want them to make any unescessary trips.

ChristyBride Posts : 59 Registered: 1/7/08
Posted: May 26, 2009 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: amlewis83

We registered with Williams-Sonoma and put a couple things on a Target registry for people who do not have a WS store around them. Sadly, even though we had very few things on the Target registry, we still got duplicates. No one gave us gift receipts so I have doubles of a few things.

Williams-Sonoma, on the other hand, was great to work with. Their customer service (both in store and online) were wonderful. I highly recommend. They even have a thank-you note section on the registry website so you can mark if you gave people thank you notes - it fabulous.

We received one gift from target (mailed to us) and have absolutely NO IDEA who bought it for us. There was no name on the gift. The To address was us and the FROM address was us as well (and I know for a fact neither my DH or myself bought it). Really frustrating.

Williams-Sonoma ++++
Target - - -

preview image

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 26, 2009 12:05 PM Go to message in response to: ChristyBride

Christy - I also got duplicates BUT Bed Bath and Beyond will take ANYTHING back for store credit with out a receipt.

But as I understand (although this mayhave changed), Target does not take anything back with out at least a gift receipt, even when it's their product clearly marked Target. Also, previous complaints included that Target wouldn't remove things from the registry so people ended up with three or four toasters that they couldn't return.

This was why I chose not to go with Target. I ended up with three crock pots from BBB, and was easily able to return two for store credit. LOVED BBB!

JessicaLeeCA Posts : 10 Registered: 7/29/09
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: chickie404

I was thinking about signing up for the traditional wedding registry, until my fiance convinced me otherwise. He wanted more "practical"/financially savvy gifts and convinced me to register at a more wedding financial registry. A good friend of mine recommended this wedding registry: http://weddingfutures.com

I was able to register for cash, mutual funds, stocks and bonds, etc. In the end, I decided that I would rather get cash toward my honeymoon or house downpayment rather than wineglasses or fancy gravy boat, especially with this economy.

Edited by: JessicaLeeCA on Jul 29, 2009 5:56 PM

KendraSps Posts : 1 Registered: 3/3/10
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: chickie404

We registered at UponOurStar.com.

WHY?
1. Traditional wedding registry items don't make sense for us, because we have almost everything we need.
2. There are unique things like our Health Insurance, Our Mortgage/home, our Education Loans, Funds for our future kids, our Honeymoon, that we need to pay for, before getting a better toaster or pots and pans.
3. In brief, we wanted an alternative to a traditional registry, that gave us the freedom to register for things like the above, but without being rude, untasteful, or disrespectful of our guests' needs.

UponOurStar was our choice because it's an incredibly inspiring and tasteful way to have guests contribute towards our unique wishes. It's a Wedding Wish Registry -- meaning it looks like any other online registry, but we get to create each item in the registry to reflect what we want and need most. So, we registered for parts of our Honeymoon, our dream home, our Future Child's education fund, and our health (insurance and gym memberships) among other things.

Our guests so far love the registry -- they are granting our most meaningful wishes, and are contributing to our future happiness, instead of our inventory of toasters...which is meaningful for our guests as a result as well.

Oh, and the last reason for using this is because, at the end, we get a direct deposit into our bank account of all the funds collected. In the end, money is the most practical gift. The nice thing about uponourstar.com is that there's no emphasis on money at all -- it's all about "granting wishes" -- which keeps it extremely tasteful!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 8:26 PM Go to message in response to: KendraSps

Dear Kendra,

You wrote what we call a Fake Rave.

You own the website, so you go out and pretend you are a deliriously happy customer. Do you think we are stupid?

Registering for money in any way, shape or form is tacky.

"Our guests so far love the registry"

If I were your guest I'd hate it. There are all kinds of weasely ways to do it, that don't involve a fee to some website middle person.

No Boxed Gifts (Bag 'em up, folks!)
In rhyme: We don't want your trash / Just give us cash
Monetary gifts accepted (So you'll throw my airplane tickets right back at me?)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine