IUD anyone? (also known as IUC and probably a ton of other names)

Online Users: 1,338 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
IUD anyone? (also known as IUC and probably a ton of other names)
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:08 PM

So i have been off birth control for the 1st time in 7 years (that is how old my daughter is!) and wow...I am having a hard time controlling myself. I want to have sex all the time! This is the POLAR opposite of how I normally am. I hardly ever want it when I am on BC. I have tried all of the following types:

Orthocyclin
Ortho-tricyclin
Depo shot
Seasonale
Seasonique
Nuvaring

I decided that after I have my next child I want a birthcontrol option that is hormone free. So basically my question is does anyone have an Intrauterine contraceptive/device? how do you like it? Did it work? any complications?

My SIL had one but i would feel weird asking her about it LOL

Just want to add when I spell checked this it tried to make Orthocyclin say Motorcycling! thought that was funny. anyway carry on.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

CantWait2BMrsW Posts : 31 Registered: 2/13/09
Re: IUD anyone? (also known as IUC and probably a ton of other names)
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

DPN,

I have Mirena and I really like it. However I did have a few problems at first. It is extremely painful when they first put it in and I spotted for about a month straight. Then I had to get it cut down because it was poking FH. Now I can't even tell it's there at all (I got it in Dec. 07) and I haven't had a period for about 6 months. My OBGYN says this is alright considering back in the day people had 5+ children and didn't have a period for long amounts of time. You can leave it in for up to 5 years but take it out whenever you want. I hope this helps and good luck!

Our knot page:

http://weddings.theknot.com/pwp/view/co_main.aspx?legacct=1&coupleid=9734370333122500

blueyes0179 Posts : 3 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: May 18, 2009 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I also have Mirena, and love it...but it is hormonal, and I have had decrease in sex drive lol...but that could also be the result of 2 kids, a full time job, and all this wedding planning business hehe

I got my sig free at http://cherishedmoments.forumotion.net/

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 18, 2009 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: blueyes0179

I've only known one person who used an IUD, and she became pregnant on it.

I'm not sure if she used the hormonal one as well or not, but I think the ones without hormones are a bit less effective. But do your research, as I am not sure.

Of course, if you really, really don't want to become pregnant, you could always pair up whatever non-hormonal method you use with condoms...although that's hardly any fun when you're married :P

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: May 19, 2009 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I guess I will talk to my doctor and find out the right fit for us. I just know that I would rather not take hormones because of the low sex drive factor. or maybe find something that is low hormone. After I am done having babies I may opt for getting my tubes tied or something.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

Posted: May 19, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Pffft, have your guy get a vasectomy when you're done having kids. It's a much less invasive surgery for men than it is for us >:)

I'm sure there are plenty of low-hormone options out there, but obviously your doctor will know more about the IUDs than we do. I might be wrong, and the hormone-free might be just as effective. They definitely aren't for me (the thought of a foreign object inside of me creeps me out in general...I think I'll die if I ever need a hip replacement!) but some people seem to like them fine!

Posted: May 19, 2009 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I don't think my hubby will ever go for a vasectomy UNLESS he really understands that the birth control really will affect our sex life. I think with this past week he is in heaven LOL so maybe he would go for it.

SonjaD Posts : 18 Registered: 2/3/09
Posted: May 19, 2009 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

I have an IUD and have never had any children. I wasn't able to take BC pills as they seriously made me feel "crazy"!! The IUD was the last resort for me! They don't recommend it as a first choice line if you have never had children but I went with it anyway. It was the BEST decision I made.

It definitely hurt when they put it in, but I'm sure no more than delivering your baby! haha! So you should be fine. My menstruation was quite heavy for the first few months and I still have a full day of heaviness but overall the periods taper down to 1-3 days max. I also had some severe cramping, much more than the traditional cramping you get from a typical menstrual cycle. This went on for about 1-2 years but a aspirin or the like calms it tremendously. My advice...the minute you feel any cramping, take some pain reliever. I was hunched over in pain, this does subside. I chose the copper IUD, sorry I don't know the actual name for it. I've had mine for 6 years total now and love it. After my wedding I will be taking it out :)

Good luck!

Posted: May 19, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: SonjaD

I think a lot of men have the intitial reaction to vasectomies as "NO WAY IN HELL!" But sometimes when they are educated about it, and realize that it's a lot easier for them to have one than for a women to have her tubes tied, they realize that they'd be a pretty big jerk to request that she have the procedure done instead (this is presuming that they are "on board" with the whole "permanent" BC thing)

My husband would not want me to get my tubes tied, knowing the risks are higher and that the procedure is more invasive than it is for him. He's a sweetie :)

Funnyish story about IUDs: one of my friends got some not-so-great birth control advice through her church as part of pre-marital counselling (I am not making fun of churches, as I am religious myself). But here is how they described how am IUD works:

"IUDs aren't birth control, they are abortion tools. How they work is that you get pregnant, and the metal piece literally knocks the baby out of the womb, killing it."

headdesk.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 19, 2009 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I have to disagree with you on tubal ligation. I had it done after my last child and it's really a "nothing" procedure. It's done outpatient, laparoscopically, and you can be up, around, and playing tennis the next day. So, if YOU are sure that you want no more children (with or without your DH), then you should consider it. My thought was that one never knows what will happen and that my decision was for me. If a situation arose where my DH wanted more children (e.g. divorce, my death), then he could have them. But I was done!

I also had used an IUD, which worked fine, but caused scar tissue that led to a tubal pregnancy (this was many years ago). For a while, the IUD was off the market. Then, the scarring problems were addressed and it was back as a viable method. As for pain on insertion, that is very true IF you never have had children. If you have given birth, then pain is minimal.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: May 19, 2009 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

LOL wow someone was not educated on the IUD.

I think my husband would understand about the Vasectomy but we just need to make sure we are both 100% on not having kids after that.....even if the marraige doesnt work out. (which i am not worried about but you never know)

Posted: May 19, 2009 2:19 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Thanks Myra!

I didn't see your post until after I reposted. I agree the person getting the operation needs to be 100% sure they NEVER want more children regarless of who the child would be with. Hubby didn't want kids until I told him that we could not marry if he didnt want children. He has since changed his mind....not sure if he would want more after we are through since he didn't want them in the first place. (if we ever split up)

Posted: May 19, 2009 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: DoesntPlayNice

Tubal ligation is still more risky and has more potential complications (not that they are common) than a vasectomy, BUT Myra is certainly right - whoever is getting permanently " fixed" needs to be 100% sure that they never want kids again, even if something happened in the marriage. I do know one couple, aren't married yet, and the women doesn't want more kids, so she was pretty insistent on her boyfriend getting a vasectomy. He did, and hopefully it was his choice, but in that case I thought maybe it would have been more fair for her to do it!

Did IUDs used to be common in the past? They seem to be becoming a little bit more common again, and I'm wondering what the reason was for their lack of popularity for a few years. Did the old style have more complications or something?

It's kinda nice to have SO many different options of birth control out there!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 19, 2009 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Hi, Birdie. As I mentioned above, they did have complications and were taken off the market for a while. One was called the Dalcon Shield, and that was really, really bad--it caused a lot of scar tissue and, if I'm not mistaken, even a couple of fatalities. The better choice was known as the "Copper 7," because it contained trace amounts of copper which, for whatever reason, helped to impair fertility when it was in place. The newer IUD's do not seem to have the complications of the old ones and are a good choice for those who have problems with hormonal BC. As for vasectomy vs. tubal ligation, I've never researched which has more complications. Basically, they both close the tubes that allow sperm or eggs to pass. They can be reversed in some cases, but anyone who undergoes either procedures should (1) do it for him/herself, not under pressure from a partner, and (2) do it with the assumption that he/she never will be able to have children in the future.

Posted: May 19, 2009 11:29 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I learned about tubal ligation vs. vasectomies in college, but honestly can't remember many details other than vasectomies are generally less invasive...I think the men are kept awake during the procedure and women are put under...does that sound accurate? Ah well, I forget, and it's really not important.

Your last line is so true. Sadly, I've heard quite a few people who have the "oh well, it can always be reversed" state of mind. I think reversals are only successful, at most, 50% of the time. So you're right, only if you are 110% sure you don't want anymore kids should you have one done! Using my husband and myself as an example, we will probably have two kids, but I would not want him to have his done until at LEAST a few years after our last kid is born, just in case. You never know, we may change our minds!

As for IUDs, what you said is what I've heard about the old ones - scar tissues and fertility problems. The new ones seems fairly low risk, although I know that if you do accidentally get pregnant while one is in, you need to get it removed ASAP...I forget why...maybe because they affect the lining of the uterus? The pill can do that too, although I don't think it's a super common problem.

Another funny story, although this is regarding the pill: a pregnant woman on another forum I post on was asking if she should be on birth control (again, she's CURRENTLY pregnant) because she wants to have sex, but doesn't want to have kids too close together. She was worried about getting "re-pregnant" (getting pregnant while pregnant). I really wish that sex ed was taught better in our school systems!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine