Is this too plain?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

robinrolex Posts : 6 Registered: 3/3/09
Is this too plain?
Posted: May 19, 2009 5:34 AM

Hey girls,

Do you think this is too plain for a wedding ring? http://www.platin-ice.com/OnlineShop.aspx?PId=91

We'd like something more elaborate but we're not sure we can afford it... anyone got any money saving tips when it comes to the rings?

Edited by: robinrolex on May 19, 2009 5:34 AM

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: Is this too plain?
Posted: May 19, 2009 8:30 AM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I think that if it's what you want then it's perfect! Go for it!

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: May 19, 2009 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I noticed that the ring was platinum. Did you look at white gold rings because they are cheaper? just an idea.

aaronandlara Posts : 11 Registered: 4/28/09
Posted: May 19, 2009 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

I think it is plain, but it is a wedding ring. I also figured the ering would be the showy, elaborate ring the the wedding ring would be more sinple. But is is up to you. You could save a lot of money by looking at silver or gold rings instead of platinum. I also heard you could get a silver ring and then have it platinum plated for an affordable price.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 20, 2009 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: robinrolex

Aren't wedding rings SUPPOSED to be plain? Mine's pretty simple - but that's my style. I wouldn't want anything too flashy. Remember that you'll wear it every day for the rest of your life - in any situation. So you should get something that'll look beautiful with either an evening gown or with sweatpants in the park with your kids. Personally, some of the fancier rings I've seen seem overdone in 'normal' situations.

And also remember that your taste will change as you get older. That was a big factor in my decision. Plain gold - or gold with a few diamonds - seems pretty versatile.

As for how to save money on wedding rings, that's not where we cut corners. We got exactly what we wanted (though as I said, what we wanted was pretty straightforward). Anyway, as someone else mentioned, choosing a less expensive material is the easiest way to save money on wedding bands. People make a big deal out of platinum wearing better than gold, yet my parents have been married 30 years and their gold rings look great. So do my ILs' and every other older couple I know. With that in mind, we were happy going with white gold (because I hate yellow gold - just a weird thing that I have...).

BTW, Pixie...I wouldn't go with silver wedding bands. While gold wears pretty well, as demonstrated by many of our parents' rings, silver is a very soft metal and scratches easily. I can ruin a silver ring in a year or two!

Also, a lot of people upgrade their wedding bands on an important anniversary. So if you can't afford exactly what you want now, remember that you can always replace them later. Personally, though, I LOVE stories from older couples about their early days together, when they proudly show off plain wedding bands or a small diamond and tell you that it was the best they could afford...or that they skimped on the rings to buy the house, or something. I just think it's really romantic to hear older couples who are still 100% in love tell stories about harder times - and I think it's romantic that they never 'upgraded'. But that's just me!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: May 20, 2009 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

you girls are wasting your time replying to this person. She has 6 posts and every single one of them is about rings, with a link to that same site in the post somewhere. Uh - huh. Can you say VENDOR????

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine