All the married women, and the soon-to-be married women also!

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
All the married women, and the soon-to-be married women also!
Posted: May 15, 2009 6:45 PM

Ok so I'm a ways away from my wedding, exactly one year. Well I've got this huge to-do list. Things just seem to keep popping up. Here is my question to mostly the married women but I know the engaged will have some insight also, what little things did you forget about until someone mentioned it, right before the wedding, or maybe even after? I'm just curious.

I thought of it because my fiance pointed out that I had left "honeymoon plans" off the to-do list. :) silly me.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Re: All the married women, and the soon-to-be married women also!
Posted: May 15, 2009 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I forgot about our wedding night hotel until last night- with less than a month to go.

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

deansbride Posts : 220 Registered: 3/24/08
Posted: May 15, 2009 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

Two things recently; 1. a garter 2. my hair appts (I just made them yesterday for my wedding that is in about a month)

Honestly I think of things that I forgot to put on my list pretty often. The Knot has a pretty good list, but at least once a week I think of things that are not on it and I need/want to do. I keep having this dream that the wedding is tomorow and I am prepared as I am right now, lol. Then when I wake up I remember the things that really bugged me in the dream. Weird, I know.

"When you are in Love you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams."

-Dr Seuss

AngeArmani Posts : 56 Registered: 3/29/09
Posted: May 16, 2009 9:49 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I forgot to feed coco my cat! and he was'nt even invited...
One of the biggest things I left to the last moment was choosing a cake topper--I had a field day with that one. Also another thing was underestimating how long the photoshoot would take. Other little things: cleaning the crystals (they were dusty), and not planning what to say to your guests or remembering their names--oh yeah, that was a big one.

All the best,
Angela Armani

My very own personal blog! It's all about cake toppers! weird huh?

http://ultimateweddingtopperguide.blogspot.com/

Please do! I'm interested in your thoughts!
Laughing

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: May 16, 2009 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: AngeArmani

You're supposed to plan what to say to your guests?! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I should hope I can remember everyone's name (else why am I inviting them)....of course, I'm lucky in that the guest list is 100% controlled by FH and I. That's not the normal story.

Misty

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: May 17, 2009 9:33 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat we invited all of our guests and I forgot a couple of peoples names. I always forget names so it was no big deal. I remember faces and can almost always remember where I know that face from. But the name, not so good.

The other thing is if it is someone I grew up with and they had a nickname and now as an adult don't use it I never remember their proper name. My cousin who's given name is Marvin, has always been called Cubby. He now goes by Marvin but no one knew this at the wedding so everyone is saying stuff about Cubby and finally his wife says, "Which one is Cubby? "He sounds like a really fun person to hang out with, Marvin you have to introduce me to Cubby." We of course fell out laughing, hearing him referred to by his given name was the funniest thing to us.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 17, 2009 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I forgot to make a list. LOL.

Seriously, though...I didn't forget anything, but by way of encouragement I'd say as long as you don't forget the marriage license, remember to bring a copy of your vows/ceremony (if you wrote your own), make sure there's food for the guests, remember to make your plane & hotel reservations for the honeymoom, and have a current passport if you're going international...I think almost everything else can be improvised.

preview image

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: May 17, 2009 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I forgot my perfume and I forgot to ask our minister to say the blessing before dinner until the last minute!

"Be Here Now"  Senn Delaney

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: May 17, 2009 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I forgot my underwear. That's not as perverse as it sounds! I bought a pair of blue ones to wear for the wedding, but didn't want to wear them all day. I put on regular white cotton in the morning, got my hair done, etc. I'd planned to change before going to the church, but I forgot! So I got married in plain old white cotton undies.

I had an emergency kit full of every possible thing anyone might need, including every product I'd put on my face.. EXCEPT my lipstick. I was a little upset by this because I'd bought about 5 lipsticks looking for the right shade. I ended up using one of the others that I had with me and it was fine. Still annoying though.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: May 17, 2009 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

I forgot to put the rope for the handfasting (that we had died specifically for the occassion) in the bag to take to the ceremony venue. lol We used my veil instead!

I lost my garter entirely. No clue where it is even today. lol it was my "something blue" and while I didn't pay a ton for it, I did take lots of time to pick it out because it was girlie and lacy. lol

I forogt how much of a control freak I am! Looking back, I would have hired a day planner to do the coordinating work so I wouldn't have been giving people orders when I should have been relaxing and enjoying my family and friends. :)

IMG_7463.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: May 18, 2009 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Ok I'm starting to feel better about being forgetful. I'm on the same boat as you Cat, I had no idea we had to plan what to say to our guests. I was hoping a smile and saying "glad you could make it" would make them happy lol. Nala, that's too funny about the garter. What did you do when it came time for the garter toss?

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: May 18, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I forgot perfume but my sister had some so that was cool.

Other than that I didn't forget to bring or do anything but here are some costs that I forgot to add into the budget.

Bridesmaid gifts
Groomsmen gifts
Parents gifts

TAXES!!!! Our photographer quoted us but I didn't realize the quoted price didn't include taxes
Table linens (luckly only had 7 tables)

Think that is it.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: May 19, 2009 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

I also left the marriage license at my mothers house. I had to have one of my sisters go get it for me & bring it to the reception for everyone to sign, including pastor.

"Be Here Now"  Senn Delaney

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 19, 2009 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I didn't forget anything during the planning. I purposely left off a few things that people are mentioning, but that's another story. I also procrastinated, but not about anything that I cared much about, so I wouldn't have cared if I hadn't had time for it.

As long as you look at at least one 'wedding planning checklist', you're not likely to forget anything major. Just remember that you don't NEED everything on the list. They're not requirements - but the list is a good tool to help you remember to do the major things.

Now...if you want to talk about what I forgot, once things got going...well, I have a million stories about THAT!

1) The day before the wedding, I went to pick up the rental car. (None of my BMs have cars and we weren't getting a limo, so I had rented a car for one of them to drive). Forgot to bring my wallet to the car rental place. Went home to get it. Returned to the car rental place, and realized that I'd forgotten that they'd want to see my BM's license...the person who would be DRIVING the car. Had to track her down. Fortunately, it was earlier than she normally gets up, so she was easy to find.

2) Later that day, I went to get my nails done with my BMs. We planned to hang out at my BM's house and drink some wine afterwards and then go straight to the rehearsal. On the way to the rehearsal, I realized that I didn't have ANYTHING with me that I intended to bring to the rehearsal (decorations for the church, programs, etc that I wanted to leave there overnight, as well as the WP gifts.) Had to stop at my house on the way to the church.

3) DH forgot to WRAP his gifts for the GM. Oh well - they didn't care!

4) I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding. The next morning, I got up, met my family for breakfast, and then left with my mom and sister to go to the hair salon. Forgot my veil, hair clips, etc. Had to go back to the hotel to get them.

5) When I went back to the hotel to get the veil, I put my cell phone down somewhere and LOST it. Never found it.

6) One of my BMs had put together a cute little bag containing 'something new, something old, something borrowed, and something blue,' which she gave to me the day before the wedding. Totally forgot to use ANY of that stuff. (Although I had other old, new, borrowed, and blue stuff).

7) Something of mine was in my parents' hotel room...and they had left for the church before me. Had to send my sister to the reception desk to get another key.

8) Borrowed my brother's cellphone after losing mine. Immediately before the ceremony, I stuck it in my 'emergency bag' and gave it to my BM's boyfriend to hold. Forgot to turn the ringer off before giving it to him. I remembered this halfway down the aisle and tried to contact the phone-holder telepathically. Fortunately, he had had more foresight than scatterbrained me and had already turned the phone off.

After the ceremony, I stopped trying to keep track of my stuff. It was just easier that way - fortunately, my wonderful BMs kept track of mostly everything for me. Still:

9) I had a binder with me, in the rental car, that contained every phone number I might possibly need. Totally forgot I had that. Fortunately, the only number I needed was for the hotel, as the shuttle was running early and I wanted to set up another trip. Ok, I forgot that I had the hotel's number. Then I forgot that the wonderful people at my reception venue could probably find a phone book and call the hotel for me. Instead, I spent a good 10 minutes on my brother's cellphone, calling 411 to try to get the hotel's number. Oh, but that's not all: I couldn't remember what town the hotel was in. (Not my fault. The reception and hotel were in a busy area where three towns meet, and I couldn't remember which town the hotel's address is in). Ended up getting connected to the wrong Crowne Plaza - in another state - and didn't realize it until I had told them the entire story.

10) This is really funny: While helping load the gifts into my car and the rental car, one of my BMs locked the keys in the rental car. Now Enterprise is not open at that hour, so she had to call a locksmith - or the police, or something - and she never mentioned the entire ordeal to me until about 6 months later! I wondered where she had been... So the moral of that story: If you rent a car, get more than one set of keys. Even if you don't think you'll need them.

11) On a related note, I ended up with about 6 keys to my hotel room....because people kept asking for my key, since something of theirs was in my room, and I gave it to them, forgetting that I'd need the key to get into my own room. The good news is that if the bride or groom goes to the reception desk at a hotel and asks for a key to their room, you get pretty quick service.

So all in all...you can plan all you like, but silly things will STILL happen. And if you're normally levelheaded and organized (I am), do NOT expect to be so on your wedding day. You'll forget stuff. And lose stuff. And lock yourself out of your hotel room many times. ;)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

AndysBride2010 Posts : 3 Registered: 4/30/09
Posted: May 20, 2009 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Hey ArtBride!
Although I am just starting the process- I have 2 secret weapons in my arsenal. I used to be a wedding planner long time ago in a galaxy far far away (Los Angeles 4 years ago) and I'm an organization freak. So here are 2 things that I recommended to all my brides and things I have implemented for myself:

The first is to freethink your day on paper. Let your mind wander through what you envision from start to finish. If you get good at this, you can look around and see details in your mind. Get it all down on paper- it doesn't have to be in any order, just let it flow (Very LA, huh?) Once you have done that make a list- either on computer or paper (I use notecards)- of the aspects of your day- everything from where you will spend the night before to who is feeding your dog when you leave on your honeymoon. No matter how small the detail. I use one card for dog care, one for menu cards, one for bouquets, etc....and then I put them in a little card file I bought for a buck at Target, and group them together. Reception, Flowers, Home Care, etc.

The second is to carry a small notebook or voice recorder with you so as you think of things you could possibly forget, you can refer to it later while still getting thorugh your day (or night). I used to give each of my brides a notebook and pen, and they said it really worked for them.

Stay organized with what you have planned, and I promise you will soon see what you have "forgotten" was really just minutae that you didn't really need in the first place. Good luck!

And I love all the posts of what people forgot. I had a bride once, who 15 minutes before she was to walk down the aisle came to me and said they forgot to buy a license. I managed to get a hold of a notary public friend of mine who holds marriage licenses for just such an occasion. Just goes to show that nothing is unfixable!
Daisypath Wedding Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine