Do you tip for a courtesy fitting?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

mtngal Posts : 4 Registered: 4/17/09
Do you tip for a courtesy fitting?
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:49 PM

I am having my bridesmaids go to bridal shops to have their measurements taken. (They live all over the country.) My question is actually one they asked me...should they tip for having a courtesy fitting? Or as a "courtesy" fitting, do bridal shops simply provide this service as industry standard with the expectation that they will be on the receiving end at times? I am assuming they don't charge for this service since it takes all of 90 seconds?

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Re: Do you tip for a courtesy fitting?
Posted: May 11, 2009 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: mtngal

I have never heard of anyone tipping the seamstress for taking measurements, doing a fitting, or anything. I mean, you pay for the alterations and that's it. I suppose it is possible that different circumstances in different regions of the country might warrant tipping but I, personally, have never heard of anything like that, it's just part of the whole dress buying and altering process.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 12, 2009 12:58 AM Go to message in response to: mtngal

I assume that you mean that they are not actually buying their dresses at the shops where they are being measured. One point is that if they have a competent tailor or seamstress that they usually use, then this person can do the measurements and probably would not expect a tip, since the girls are regular customers. If they go to a bridal shop, they can ask if there is a charge for taking their measurements. If so, they pay it. If not, they can offer a tip (if it's really a courtesy, the tip might be refused). If they're going to a branch of the same shop where the dresses will be purchased (e.g. a David's nearer to them), then I don't think a tip is necessary. But, it's always gracious to offer.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 12, 2009 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: mtngal

I think its up to the girls getting fitted. Personally, I tipped everyone who helped me with my dress. It's just how my family is. Many of the women were extremely helpful and accommodating, so I wanted them to know how much I appreciated all of their kindness and hardwork.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

redheadgrl Posts : 9 Registered: 2/13/09
Posted: May 13, 2009 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: mtngal

I would tell them "no" you don't need to tip for a courtesy fitting. At this point, it's no longer a "courtesy". Bridal shops should be hoping that they are providing such a great service, you will come back to them in the future for their dresses for you wedding. Actually, it should take much longer than 90 second, more like 10 minutes but yes, they shouldn't charge.

======================
Future Mrs. Rebecca Howard-Lin

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: May 13, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: redheadgrl

A bridal shop by my house charges $5 for measurements for those not purchasing a dress there. Typically it is more common to receive free tuxedo fittings than gown fittings since there asre fewer measurements to make. I'd say to ask first so they don 't get a shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine