DIY Hair and Makeup or Seek Salon Help!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

SoontobeMrsJaqu... Posts : 8 Registered: 4/30/09
DIY Hair and Makeup or Seek Salon Help!
Posted: May 1, 2009 12:17 AM

Okay so I am debating whether to have a salon do my hair and makeup for the big day, or just to do it myself. Money is not the issue here. I have tried a few bridal looks but I am worried that I wont look picture perfect, on another note every time I have taken a picture into a salon and said do my hair like this. They fail to meet my expectations!! So I don't know what to do!

What are all you ladies going to do? Yourself or a Salon?

bella24 Posts : 24 Registered: 9/28/08
Re: DIY Hair and Makeup or Seek Salon Help!
Posted: May 1, 2009 1:14 AM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

I'm totally on the same page.. I'm having my courthouse wedding in one week!!! The was the dilemma that i had. i did lots of research on bridal hairstyles. i ended up choosing one that its gorgeous i saw it in a magazine. I'm taking the picture of the magazine to the lady that always does my hair, i know she would do a great job.. did u have any style on mind? up do, or half up half down. it really depends of how long your hair is. lucky us we can get hair extensions:) plus you have the right to choose whatever u fell more comfortable with that's what your paying for.. good luck:)

Edited by: bella24 on May 1, 2009 1:17 AM

Edited by: bella24 on May 1, 2009 1:18 AM

LisaHorwitz Posts : 35 Registered: 8/18/08
Posted: May 1, 2009 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

You have a right to sound so frustrated. What I am not sure of is if you have 1) taken the same photo to several different salons, or 2) taken several different photos to the same salon. If it is #1, then maybe it is not a perfect style for your hair and you should consider another one. If it is #2, then that particular hairstylist does not seem to be able to work well with your hair. In that case you should look for other recommendations.

As far as makeup goes, I spend my work week applying picture perfect makeup so I completely understand your desire to look amazing in your photos and video. You said that you have tried a few bridal looks. Was that with a makeup artist or was that you practicing? If that was you practicing, and it looked ok, then I suggest that you keep at it, wear a white or light colored top to resemble your gown, and take a couple photos after each practice session. Take notes so that you will remember what you did that you liked. And try to do the makeup in an area with good natural light.

Lisa Horwitz

The Blushing Bride Cosmetics

Makeup For the Most Beautiful Day of Your Life

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: May 6, 2009 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

It is hard to find a good stylist and make up artist that can do exactly what you want and feel comfortable with. I've had other people do my make up and only 1 time felt semi-please. If you are the type of person that applies make up daily then you know what I mean, we get so used to our making looking a certain way or doing it a certain way and when someone else does it sometimes it just doesn't feel right. For this I decided I'm doing my own wedding make up and researched some good foundations and such. I ended up buying "Make Up Forever" HD foundation, primer, and powder, it is supposed to give you that flawless look in photos and so far so good for me. I love the stuff. If you want to give it a try and expirament Sephora is a good place to start if you have one near you. I got a ton of stuff there.

As for hair have you thought of looking into someone who ONLY does wedding hair? I find that a lot of salons tend to be pretty main stream and a lot of the stylists don't know or aren't good at more advanced techniques whether it be with color, cut, or evening do's. Try searching maybe your local craigslist or just doing a general search for people who do bridal hair in your area. They should have a portfolio they can show you and hopefully that will help you chose someone to do a trial with. Yelp is also a great place for reading reviews on salons and such from other people, that is how I found my current stylist and she is amazing!

I hope this helps!

edit: Also to give you an idea of how the make up forever foundation looks, this was my own personal wedding day make up trial, mind you this is not the best lighting in my living room and I was taking the picture myself lol The make up has a pretty natural finish to it, but it hides A LOT.

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

Edited by: 2009ToBeMrsV on May 6, 2009 4:23 PM

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 5:08 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

I did my makeup myself and had my stylist do my hair a week before so it would be perfect. Don't try to convince yourself you're going to look like a super model on your wedding day. Just go with the flow and be yourself. Your guy is marrying you for YOU, not because you're flawless.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

I doing my make up myself the day of my wedding. I do it every single day on my own, I figure I can then too. I'm sure I'll do lots and lots of practice runs though.

As for my hair, I have A LOT of hair, and its long. I'll definitely be having someone else do it the day of (after a practice run of course). I don't want the stress of dealing with it myself on that day. I want to keep things as stress free as possible. However, I'm going to make sure that the person I use is someone I'm comfortable enough with so that if I don't like a single twig, I won't feel too bad about asking for it to be changed. I can get a little nit picky about details...

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

It really depends on you (of course!). If you want to look like a perfect showpiece for your day, maybe it's better to have someone else do it if you can't do for yourself what you'd consider "perfect."

Personally, I wanted to look like myself, just prettier. I also hate caked-on makeup, which is what every makeup artist I ever used did to me. So I did my own makeup.

I could've done my hair myself in a pinch because I picked a super simple style, but I wanted flowers woven into it and I didn't know how to do that. So if I'd done it myself I wouldn't have had anything pretty in my hair at all (I didn't wear a veil). Not the end of the world, but I ended up having someone do my hair.

So conclusion being how complicated you plan for your hair and makeup to be and how used to doing that yourself you are. Sorry, I don't really have anything helpful to offer about your specific hairstyle situation--the other ladies already gave good ones.

preview image

hairstyleblogkr... Posts : 5 Registered: 5/11/09
Posted: May 11, 2009 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

You can definitely get your style yourself. Just remember to practice, practice, practice! Also, I would get a bridesmaid to help you practice so that you have an 'assistant' on the big day. You'll be so excited, nervous and happy that you will definitely need help. Choose something simple that has a big impact. Here's an article explaining some ideas:
http://www.hairstyle-blog.com/wedding-hair.html

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 12:39 AM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

Hair I would get professionally done but makeup...I do makeup at work (spa). And I do lots of wedding makeup. But I dont think Ive ever gotten my makeup done by someone else and LOVED it..you just get so used to YOUR certain way of doing the eyeliner or whatnot. It never looks right on me when someone else does it! Or maybe Im just too picky lol. But i think the makeeup I will be doing myself..cheaper that way too :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine