Prom Garters? Is this a new trend?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 51

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Re: Prom Garters? Is this a new trend?
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

So I just remembered..... FH and I were at the mall a few weeks ago, looking for some shoes for me. And we went into... Deb I think it was... And I was looking at shoes and FH said "babe! Why didn't you tell me that this place sold this stuff?? It's cheaper than Fredericks..." And I turned to see what he was looking at, and they have a lingerie section!! I was like "what the HELL?" Isn't Deb geared mainly towards teens?? I shopped there in high school. They have homecoming/prom specials.... that to me, means they're main customers are teenagers. And even though I wasn't a virgin in high school, I certainly wouldn't have been buying lingerie then!!

So we walked over and was looking at what they had, and these two girls and a guy (he was a BOY, not a guy lol) walk up and start looking too. And they look, MAYBE 14. I know I look young, but I'm a pretty good guess at people's ages. And even if these girls looked younger than they were, they couldn't have been more than 15. no joke. And I know this because one girl said "Well if I get this from here, when mom picks us up she will just think I got a shirt or something. She knows what they sell at the lingerie stores.... I can't get into the car with a bag from either of those places...." Oh. My. Goodness. I looked up at FH and he had this look on his face and he just turned around and walked off. lol. So I followed him and he was like "did you wear this stuff in high school? Are those girls even old enough to be in high school??? I'm gonna have to home school Faith" (his daughter lol she's 4!!). lol It was hilarious. But I really was freaked out by it...

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: Destiny123

Not really. My DH went to visit him once, before we were married or together, and had to end up staying at a hotel. the guy and wife are just not ever going to grow up.

But, I got pregnant my senior year, and I had to see him at my oldest daughter's wedding. He contacted me to contact her, about a year and a half ago. Otherwise, no contact from just after h.s. to then.

My DH can tolerate them, but we just have nothing in common with them anymore.

I can't even remember what the favors were for my proms. But I remember my junior prom, theme was Jump, from Van Halen. I didn't really 'get' it,but loved the song.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: Destiny123

LOL. ya, that would get my attention too. And yes, deb is geared to high school age girls.

I didn't buy lingerie back then either, would of been weird. I mean, ya had sex with my boyfriend but didn't want to broadcast it or act like a slut (which is the term used then by my friends anyway).

However, I see young girls now who do stuff like that all the time, and wear practically nothing. It's just different now, more blatant and accepted I guess.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: May 7, 2009 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: Destiny123

ha ha that's funny Destiny. I went to DEB with a friend of mine (My ex's wife actually) and we bought "naughty" stuff from there. We actually went there to get that stuff. Cute stuff. ha ha

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket

Keyholder of the TP Cabinet of P.O.O.P.

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: May 7, 2009 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

We just got a DEB a few months ago in the closest large mall (which is like almost 2 hrs away), but they don't sale anything like that. Hopefully they will before long...

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: May 8, 2009 8:24 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

We only have formals here! Are proms actually like what you see in the films with people being crowned king and queen and stuff like that?

I didn't even go to my formal or graduation! I had left for Canada at that point. I don't feel I missed out on anything. I didn't particulary enjoy high school so I was just glad to be rid of it!

Garters for prom seem a bit strange but I will try not to be judgemental and say each to her own. However, if I had a daughter I wouldn't be too keen on her wearing one. But if she is over 18 then she can do whatever she wants!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 8, 2009 9:10 AM Go to message in response to: Bally

Bally, my prom was nothing like what you see in the movies. It wasn't in a gym, there weren't any cheesy decorations, and we had no king and queen. It was a formal dinner and dance at a nice venue. Similar to the average wedding reception, but with more teenagers and without a bride and groom. I'm sure it varies regionally and from school to school - but mine was much nicer than what you see in the movies.

Anyway...I'm trying to imagine the logistics of 15-year olds actually getting the opportunity to USE the lingerie. I had sex with my high school boyfriend, but I can't imagine ever being in a situation at that age where I could put on lingerie. Obviously we didn't live together, so it's not as if I ever had the opportunity to put on something sexy before he came to bed. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but those of you who had sex in high school, where did you do it? I remember the car, the occasional camping trip that I told my parents was girls-only, on a blanket that we snuck out during 'hikes in the woods' behind my boyfriend's house. It was mostly in the car. I don't think we had more than one or two opportunities to have sex in his parents house, and we never had an opportunity to have sex in my parents house. In fact, to this day I don't think I've ever had sex in my parents' house. What are we going to do: start getting it on on an air mattress in my parents' living room? Not really the ambience to get you in the mood, especially since the living room has sheer curtains.

But that's beside the point: my point is that the idea of 15-year olds buying lingerie makes me giggle incessently. Imagine this: 'Honey, you stay in the front seat while I get in the back seat to slip into something more comfortable. Don't I look sexy? What do you mean, my leg is sticking out an an unattractive angle? Ok, I'll just put my elbow on the other side of the shifter - what do you think NOW?' Really...why bother with lingerie? The best case scenario is that they might actually have a chance to have sex at home - but with the constant worry that mom might open the door to ask whether they and their 'tutor' want a snack. Seriously - why bother with the lingerie? If you absolutely must have sex in your parents' house, get it over with quickly. Really...I don't see the allure. Even as a married adult who is free to have parent-approved sex whenever she wants, the idea of having sex in my parents' house is not very appealing. We'll wait 'til we get home, thanks. A little privacy is nice.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: May 8, 2009 10:02 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

The first bf I had sex with had a really liberal mother. So liberal she and her son would take each others condoms if either of them ran out...so yeah we had sex at his parents house. Also in the car too. Second bf we had sex in his parents house or in the car and then we moved in together in 2nd year of university. Mind you the day I moved in, he slapped me because he is a wanker, so I punched him back and used his credit card to book a ticket to Toronto to stay with family..lol..anyways that aside, my FH and I live together so its not an issue! Although my dad moved in with us after he returned from Nigeria and I refused to have sex with FH while he was in our house..lol

With other bf's I would have sex in my parents house. Actually my mother came home one time when I was devirginising my ex (what the hell do you call it?)..lol...it was pretty awkward but I think my ex was grateful because he was the 2 minute man and it saved him the awkwardness of ejaculating in like 0.25 seconds. Sorry that is TMI and a bit mean but this was the wanker who went on to cheat and slap me so really I don't care!!

Whenever FH and I stay at his parents they won't let us sleep together, even though we LIVE TOGETHER!! Its like, would I really have sex with him the one night we are there, when I can have it anytime in my own house?! Besides, sex doesn't just happen in beds!!!

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: May 8, 2009 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Lots of people have posted sounding horrified because of the sexual symbolism of garters, but the tradition of tossing the garter at weddings came about because back in the late middle ages/early renaissance it was believed that getting a piece of a bride's clothing was good luck and so guests would basically assault the bride trying to get parts of her clothing, so it began that the groom would toss her garter to the crowd to prevent his new bride from being accosted after their wedding, nothing sexual about it.
Garters at prom probably stem from the fact that prom is traditionally formal event, so in the early days of prom (read the late 19th/early 20th century), girls would wear silk stockings, most of which at the time still required the use of garters, a tradition that in some places has continued despite the fact silk stockings are not the fashion anymore. There's nothing necessarily slutty or overtly sexual about the simple wearing of a garter. I wore one to prom, and didn't have sex afterwards (even though I did give it to my then boyfriend, now FH). Pretty much all the girls at my prom did, and all my friends at other schools did as well. Actually, it was a fun bonding thing for me and some of my girlfriends because we all made our garters together :)
Anyways, that's my two cents!

Posted: May 8, 2009 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Ok, I asked this already, but I'm going to ask it again...where do all you garter-at-the-prom-wearing people live? Well, more accurately, where did you live in high school?

I'm convinced that this is a regional thing, especially when people say things like, 'everyone I knew wore one.' I have NEVER heard of this until this thread was started, and I went to several proms.

Please, people...demographics! Where did you go to high school, when was your prom, and did you wear a garter or not?

I graduated in 1999 in Massachusetts and have never heard of this.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: May 8, 2009 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

FINE!!!! I'll give you my demographics! Geez. You don't have to get all huffy about it. I live in the grand state of Florida and was a 2000 grad. Disclaimer though: Florida doesn't count for anything in surveys or voting. We're a mushed and mashed version of every other state in the Union. lol My ex still had his gf's garter from HS and he went to school in Pitts, PA. DH doesn't count because he went to a private catholic school in Florida. My SIL said they had garters. She is 32 and graduated in Alabama.

Also, Art, I have to tell you I never wore any sexy clothing besides a thong for my HS BF. You described my HS sex life to every little backseat detail. I had to laugh out loud when I read your post.....especially about the hiking trips. I don't think I've took a hiking walk with a BF since HS now that I think about it.

wedding ticker

Wedding pics at www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

Posted: May 8, 2009 11:10 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

Hehe...yeah, I forgot about thongs. I remember wearing thongs for my BF my senior year in high school. Seemed like a great idea until I had to change in the locker room for track practice. Suddenly, I didn't really want everybody to see my butt!

Ha - glad I'm not the only one who had a lot of backseat sex in HS, Mush! ;)

Urgh...can you imagine having sex during a hiking trip NOW? Hello, poison ivy!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

BreAnn Posts : 600 Registered: 11/28/07
Posted: May 8, 2009 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Art,
I was one of those that mentioned that I had heard of it. They did that where my DH went to HS. We live in WV. Same town that he grew up in. I believe the high school here still does it.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: May 8, 2009 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Im also from Massachusetts, class of 1990, and went to 3 proms at two diff high schools, and have never heard of this until this thread. I too, think its regional.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: May 9, 2009 1:04 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

No, I would not have sex on a hiking trip now. I'd be terrified some random animal would come and scare the crap out of me. Funny how I never thought of that when I was younger.

wedding ticker

Wedding pics at www.mywedding.com/robertandginger

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine