May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,379

Puglover27 Posts : 103 Registered: 2/12/09
Re: May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)
Posted: May 4, 2009 11:47 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Girls this is so exciting. My bachelorette party is this Sat. I have no idea what to wear. I kind of just want it to be over. I know that sounds horrible. We are all staying in a room together and my fiance teases me about snoring and said he feels bad for my bridesmaids having to share a room with me.

I decided to be bridezilla and start asking people if they are coming are not.With my mom moving the rsvps are delayed getting to her. I was able to get some no's and yes. It just annoys me bc some of the people I knew were going to say no so I don't understand why they couldn't mail their RSVP?

We decided to cut down our budget and get a smaller wedding cake and then two sheet cakes from Costco. We went to a wedding Sat. and even though the cake looked great it was tasty- the fondant was really gross. My fiance got a piece of their other cake- super good. It reminded me of the rainbow cake form Duncan Hines or whatever. I liked that more than the fancy cake. We had Costco cake at my shower and it was a hit. for $40 total we can get two different sheet cakes and feed 100 people. My kind of deal.

MargaretG Posts : 1 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: May 5, 2009 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Congrats to all the brides!

Edited by: MargaretG on May 5, 2009 11:43 AM

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: May 6, 2009 9:23 AM Go to message in response to: MargaretG

Bliss- I agree with PP on the flying suggestions, just wanted to give you a few more helpful hints. Yes, we always arrive 2 hours early, that gives you enough time to check in, get through security and board the plane. It may be VERY busy when you're leaving or not, but better safe than sorry. But there are always places to eat, TV's to watch, and we always enjoy just watching the planes take off and land, so the time will go pretty quick.

Wear shoes that you can slip on and off, you have to take them off when you go through security, so sandals or something similar makes it easier.

Don't put ANYTHING over 3oz (liquid, gels, sprays, etc) in your carryon or purse. YOu can have 3oz or smaller of those things like lotion, lipstick, etc but they have to be in a small ziploc bag. You need to have the ziploc out and ready to show security. Don't leave a disposable camera in your purse or carryon, the security scanner will ruin it, just put it in your luggage. Keep your drivers lisence handy with your ticket through security.

Again, if you're flying with the same airline they will handle your luggage. But if you switch from Southwest to say United you'll have to go pick up your bags and check them again I believe.

Put a change of clothes for you and FH, your toothbrushes, travel size toothpaste and anything you might absolutely need (but keep the liquids under 3oz!!!!) for one night in your carryon. That way, should the worst happen and your luggage is lost, you'll have an extra pair of clothes and toiletries for the next day.

I always bring a book to read on the plane. You're not allowed to bring drinks, however you can buy drinks and snacks once you are past security and bring those on the plane. Unless you're a diabetic and have special dietary needs, they don't allow you to really bring food and drinks of your own. BRING GUM!!!!! When the pressure changes, it will help keeps your ears from popping so much!

If you're flying Southwest or an airline where you don't already have an assigned seat, try to get a window seat! It's awesome to watch out the window during take off, during the flight and landing! I love it!!

If you're prone to motion sickness take some Dramamine before you leave. I get MAJOR car sick, but on planes I'm totally fine, so it's just how your body adjusts to those situations.

I know at our airport there are different parking lots, Long Term and Short Term and varying prices for both. You might research your airport and see if they have coupons you can print out to use for your long term parking. I know if I park in the farther parking lot you save about $1-2 a days, which can really add up if you're going to be gone for a week! Plus, they have shuttles that will take you from the parking lots to the airport anyway, so it doesn't matter if your far or nearer to the airport. That's why getting to the airport 2 hours early is nice, you have time to park, shuttle to the airport and get all checked in. You won't be rushing - NO FUN TO RUSH!!!!

YOu can take a laptop on the plane, but no internet. They'll let you know once you get to cruising altitude when you can use it. Same with an IPOD and such. But still can't use your cell phone, they'll make you turn it off before taxi-ing out to the runway. No biggie though, you'll be having too much fun to be on the phone! :)

At our airport you an "Express check-in" at a kiosk with your credit card. Instead of waiting in a long line, you can just do that and it will print out your tickets and boarding passes for you. If you're not comfortable with this though, you can check in at the airline counter.

Well I think that's all I have for now! I hope this helps! Flying is GREAT!! I Love it!! You'll have a blast!

Well girls, I have 10 days to go!!! Finishing picking up things today and I shoudl be just about all set! YAY!!!

WE've have a bit of scares though, FH's grandma is very sick, had a heart attack Monday and we're quite concerned if she's going to be ok. Please keep her in your prayers!
The flu and nasty colds are going around up here and I've been using Zycam JUST IN CASE!! NO TIME FOR SICKNESS! I'll just be SO glad to have next weekend here and know everyone is ok and healthy! That's really the only thing I'm worried about!

Well, better get this day started!! Hope all is well with you ladies!!!! This weekend Brides! How are you doing?!?! GOOD LUCK!!!

"Come What May... "

Posted: May 6, 2009 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Germs are spreading around here too. I got a runny nose and sore throat again. The last two nights I took Bendadryl and was able to sleep through the night. I do not want to be sick on my wedding day.
So I called Das Myer to change my cake size and the lady was like" Well how re you gong to feed the rest of the people?" I replied " We got a cake donated so I just want my wedding cake to feed 30 people." She then had to go see if they could do that. We didn't get cake donated, but to save money we are getting two sheet cakes from Costco. I just think as vendor you shouldn't ask questions like that; what business is it of theirs? Just provide some customer service. Geesh. But we are now saving about $300. We just had a relative that can't attend the wedding send us some $ which is great because we are putting this towards catering.

MrsLorJesCar Posts : 30 Registered: 3/20/09
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: Puglover27

Is anyone else like ridiculously excited?!?

Anyway, we bought our bubbles last night AND it only cost us $25 bucks (FYI-Michaels has a certain brand on said for $3.99. Awesome! I think I'll jazz them up a bit and put a pink ribbon around it. I also got the bright idea to buy scrapbooking paper for our programs. The pretty paper is a little costly but the end result is going to be beautiful...and will be a fraction of the cost to vender them out.

I had my bachelorette party this past weekend and it was so so. I had a good time but (I can't remember who it was on here) who said that you know when you've grown up is right. I had fun but I'm really over the whole girls drinking and that sort of thing. Granted I haven't been married to my lovable fiance yet or for many years but I can imagine that before our first anniversary rolls around I will have to go out with some of my girls. I'm just too tired...and I feel like I'm too old to be tearing up the town like a 19 year old.

I'm glad to see that part be over with and this weekend we have the bridesmaid luncheon. I guess from here on out it's just the wedding. I can't focus at work but I'm trying to hard to tie up loose ends. IT'S REALLY HARD TO FOCUS :).

If I don't get a chance to post, girls getting hitched this weekend, good luck and enjoy! Hope everyone is keeping their heads screwed on, at least a little straight :).

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: Puglover27

Yeah I'm sick too! But you can't keep a good bride down! I am powering through and I think that I have just about everything done and paid for! What a great feeling!

Pug - OMG I can't believe she asked you how you were going to feed the rest of your people! Like it's any business of hers. I would have told her that maybe if her cake wasn't so darned expensive I could afford to feed all of my guests but now I'm having them all draw numbers to see who gets a piece.

Lilypie Baby Tickerpreview image

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

I was actually really sick last week with Tonsilitis, but a quick z-pack and we were back in business! My gramma is also pretty sick, which has everyone worried, but it seems like she'll be fine for now. It does make you realize how special weddings truly are, it's really important to have all the family together.

Well we are only a few days away and things are getting really crazy. We have an appointment with our venue today to drop off all our centerpieces, menu cards, place cards, gift box, guest book, etc.. This is the last main planning thing to do. We are going to pick up FH's tux today, and we have our final call with the photographer tonight.

Tomorrow I'm getting my first brazilian (yipes) then Friday's the rehearsal.. and then it's go time!

How are the other 5-9 girls doing?
5-16.. it's coming up! Trust me, the last week is a blur.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: May 6, 2009 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I just wanted to add another suggestion for Bliss. When we fly if we both check bags we make sure to have at least an outfit for eachother in each bag, along with in the carry-on just in case our bags get lost.

Pug~ The customer service is the whole reason I didn't go with Das Meyer. He had the best cakes of all the ones we tried, but got absolutly no customer service from them. We put our name in their book to hold our date like 3 months ago, I still haven't heard anything from them and my wedding is the same weekend as yours. I do think I remember seeing something about he will only serve his cake so a sheet cake in the back was a no go, but I could be wrong. I am glad you are saving so much money on your cake!

BlissfullyContent Posts : 73 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: May 6, 2009 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Let me first just say that this site is wonderful because it is helping me procrastinate!

Brook and all -thank you sooo much for all that info. I'm getting more nervous for the flight than the wedding I think because we've never flown before and now with all the added security measures and stuff I think I just might walk to Jamaica and save myself the trouble....the ocean might prove to be a problem though. Good thing I have my bikini eh?

Steff- Not only are we date twins but I also am going for my first brazialian wax tomorrow!! All by my lonesome. I was planning on doing it on the weekend of the 25th because my girls and I had a spa day but they told me that I could be stubbly by now or the honeymoon so they advised me to wait until a few days before. I've thought about getting it done in the past but I always chicken out. 7 days on the beach is a good reason to do it if any. I think I'm going to pop a few tylenol beforehand. I'm so nervous because I've never gotten anything waxed besides my eyebrows and now I'm going for the full monty! You'll have to share with us how it went.

So I went for my final, Final, FINAL dress fitting today on my lunch and I think everything's ok. I think i told you guys that I ripped my dress and then they were having a horrible time fixing it and reenforcing seams and then they completely changed my bustle....so it should all be ok now, only they're making me pick it up tomorrow which is dumb because i'll have to take it to my MIL and then pick it up friday to take it to the hotel, to take it to the venue on saturday.....

Tomorrow is going to be soooooooo busy. Most of my wedding party took off Thurs, Fri, and Monday following but I can't do that because I just started a job at the end of January and I didn't want to use up all my vacation and sick time incase something happened after i got back. But now I have So much to do! I have a meeting in the moring, like 3 hours to do paperwork, the office is throwing me a lucheon, then i have my wax at 130, have to drive 30 minutes back to pick up my dress and take it to my MIL (I want to be there so I can see that she hangs it high and takes it out of the bag) then I have to drive like 45 minutes to do a home visit and then drive an hour to meet one of my bridesmaids to get manicure and pedicure then drive an hour home .....I think I ran outta time in my day. Friday all I have to do it pick up the centerpieces and flowers, take them to the venue (flower place would have delivered for an addtional $175!!!!) check into the hotel, drop off my dress and accessories and luggage then do the rehearsal and dinner then go and try and relax for saturday.
I still have to find some sippie cups for the flower girl and ring bearer and wrap up their gifts, finish (or even start) packing for the honeymoon and get all my important things in order but I can do that Friday morning.
I can't believe this is almost over!!!

Who are you guys tipping? The photographer and DJ own their own businesses and the officiant was more that I thought she'd be and the ckae is being delivered and the flowers I have to pick up....and the venue added 19% in their prices....so who do I tip and how much??

Please girls who are getting married next week get as much done as you possibly can. Little stuff is driving me crazy right now. I really can't believe it's almost here.

I'm not as chatty as some of you here but I just wanted to thank you guys for all your ideas and stories and support. This site has been a life (and sometimes sanity) saver for me.

Okay now I should go do Something wedding related.

Posted: May 6, 2009 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I always spend so much time blabbing about my own stuff I forget everything that I read before replying.
Brook- I'm sorry about FH's gram, I hope she pulls through for everyone so she can be there to experience your special day
Pug, Tiger, Steff- vitamin C people! We don't have time to be sick we have dances to dance and drinks to be drunk!! Hope you all are feeling better soon

K now i Really should be going :)

Posted: May 6, 2009 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

I SWEAR I'm done after this but it kind of is important. His uncle owns a frame shop and made us a guest book frame for our guests to sign and its beautiful. What little saying can I put in the middle where the picture will go to let people know what to do (older people may not know what to do)
Here is a picture of it:
We figured we'd be more likely to appreciate this than a guest book we'd only read once. A wedding photo will be in the white space once we get them.

Posted: May 7, 2009 12:30 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Tiger- You are funny! I was thinking that too.

Bliss- What a beautiful frame.

Ok so I got to thinking and I think part of the reason those that have had their bachelorette parties and those that are going to have ours- aren't excited is because we are too stressed about everything else going we don't have time to "relax". Maybe they should hold "wfie" parties after the wedding as a form of relaxation.

Money is becoming an obstacle again. Since we are using an oustide caterer we have to pay $500 I guess I held off on this because I thought it was just a deposit. Fiance suggested we use the money my mom sent us and I said no. She specifically sent that to cover my Dad's, brother's, and nephews tuxes. It is my fault as I should have taken care of this months ago, but man every time I think we are saving a buck I am wrong. I am about to scrap this whole candy buffet thing because that is just more $ and even though it wouldn't be extravagant is it even worth doing? Mabye I could just have our M&M's near the guest book?

Ladies getting a Brazilian- I have read to take Ibuprofen an hour before and looking into numbing spray as well. Good luck I have to set up an appt for this too.

It has been a long time since I have gotten one done, but it hurt, but the worst part is when it starts growing back (sorry for tmi)- itches like crazy! Just be prepared.

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: May 7, 2009 8:26 AM Go to message in response to: BlissfullyContent

Hey Bliss - we are doing the same thing with the picture frame. I would suggest either asking your bridal party to sign it maybe at the rehearsal ahead of time or having a few people sign it when you first set it out that way anyone who may not be familiar with it can kind of see what other people are doing and follow their lead.

Lilypie Baby Tickerpreview image

MrsLorJesCar Posts : 30 Registered: 3/20/09
Posted: May 7, 2009 9:08 AM Go to message in response to: Puglover27

For those of you getting a brazilian done, I applaud you. Not only will I not have that cosmetic thing done, I'm far too modest to even consider letting another person be near that area of my body. I will be, though, doing the waxing myself. I can stomach that and I've done it before :). I do recommend taking a pain killer (and for those of you who indulge) and drink a beer :).

So the wedding planner has everything under control BUT we need 5 more small centerpieces. Guess who will be doing those?? Of course, me. I refuse to spend another dime on flowers. I'm actually looking on craigslist for already made ones.

Anyway, I'm over it already. I just want May 16 to get here. FH and I have been arguing and it's miserable. I don't want to be angry with him when we get married. I have to be a complete and total b*tch to get him to do anything! Hopefully the madness will calm down afterwards.

Posted: May 7, 2009 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: MrsLorJesCar

LorJess- I know what you mean. $ seems to keep creating issues. My fiance gets stresses and burnd out and I am stress/burned out= not happy. It just makes me sad to spend all this $ and then no honemyoon. Every little thing he does is gettng on my nerves! I am sure other soon to be brides feel the same way.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine