An American in Ireland

Online Users: 1,363 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 16

Rubishoes Posts : 2 Registered: 3/30/09
An American in Ireland
Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:08 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm beginning my wedding plans/research a bit early some would say as I'm not officially engaged, but, he's designing my ring as I type, and have promise ring, will start planning!

My dream has always been to be married in Ireland, and since I've found an Irish Laddie, I want to make this dream come true. In my beginning research I found listed on the American Embassy in Dublin site that Ireland requires that the couple establish 15 days of residency in the county in which they plan to marry. Here's the link: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/service/other-citizen-services/other-citizen-services/marriage-in-ireland.html

Has anyone out there done this, planning to do this, have any tips? I've looked at the www.vrbo.com vacation rentals by owner website, and found a number of homes that we could rent for two weeks to establish residency, but I wonder if this would fit Ireland's requirements? The site doesn't go into too much detail, and makes establishing residency sound easy, so I wonder if anyone has had a similar situation?

Thanks!

Teresa

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: An American in Ireland
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: Rubishoes

Dear Rubi,

I can't answer your specific questions, but I do have a suggestion. See if you can engage a wedding planner in Ireland. Ask around, and find someone who has experience with Americans coming over for a wedding. That person should have very good answers for you.

Second suggestion: There is a member of this board from Ireland. See if you can connect with her and get some other information. Her handle is BallycastleBride

Sounds great!

Rubishoes Posts : 2 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Apr 1, 2009 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Great suggestions, Aunty! I really appreciate the tip about the wedding planner in Ireland. Great idea, almost feels like a no brainer! oh well, so excited!

Thanks!

BrewerPhotoVideo Posts : 9 Registered: 4/27/09
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: Rubishoes

A castle in Ireland would be amazing! Do you have a photographer yet?! My hubby and I love to travel for weddings. Hint, hint! =)

Julie Brewer
www.brewerphotovideo.com

Julie Brewer

Brewer Photography & Videography

http://www.brewerphotovideo.com

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: May 1, 2009 7:53 AM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

If you are going to another country to get married, you should use local vendors and employ local people, so that it boosts the local economy and supports locals. You want gorgeous Irish views in your photos? Well then use an Irish photographer!!

Posted: May 1, 2009 10:00 AM Go to message in response to: Bally

Absolutely not a bad idea to hire someone who knows the local customs and lay of the land, but some of our brides find it easier to work with someone in the US over the year or so they are planning their wedding and then the next year that they are fulfilling print orders and working on their albums. It's a long process and with the time changes, accents, and such it can be more stress than some brides want. We hear this a lot with couples getting married in the carribean who are frustrated with "island time." Benefits to both, I think...

Julie Brewer

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: May 1, 2009 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

Why would you go to a foreign country to get married and then isolate yourself from the experience by bringing an entorage of americans with you??

I don't believe its right to come to our country cause you want to get married in Ireland (or where-ever) yet not help out our economy by supporting locals. Wouldn't you be annoyed if foreigners effectively 'imported' their own vendors and took business away from you?

I am getting married in Canada and I will be doing everything locally, I will even be buying my dress in Canada!

Time changes are not difficult to accomodate, and as for accents....umm you are in a foreign country, what do you expect? If you don't have a bit of patience or sense of humour to laugh about language barriers then don't have a DW.

That really bothers me. Its like, my country is good enough for you to use, but the local artisans aren't?!

Posted: May 2, 2009 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

Dear Julie,

" time changes, accents"

??

I agree with Ballycastle Bride. I would never bring my own vendors to a foreign country if I were getting married there. That's just plain dumb. I know of what I speak. I have traveled to 40+ countries in my life and go to Europe every year. I have tickets for Copenhagen right now.

Time change "problems"? Just get a second clock and set it to the "other" time. Then, if you need to phone someone, just look at the clock first. I have a clock set to Central European Time here on my desk.

Accents? Sheesh. If you are going to be that fussed about an accent, you ought to stay home.

Why get married in a foreign country if all you want to do is surround yourself with a "bubble" of people from back home? Besides, with local vendors you don't have to pay for their transatlantic travel, lodging, etc.

The original advice I gave the OP stands. Find a competant wedding planner in Ireland, then let that person engaged trusted, local vendors.

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: May 2, 2009 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

Foreign country or not...

it is just TACKY to come on this forum begging for business.

I definitely wouldn't use someone who was trying to send me a "hint, hint" on an online brides forum.

Posted: May 2, 2009 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Dear WWB,

"it is just TACKY to come on this forum begging for business."

Then, there's that, too. I would not engage that photographer for all the tea in China.

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: May 3, 2009 7:54 AM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

I find your comment about "island time" to be both patronizing and obnoxious. There are many professional vendors in the Caribbean just as they are many unprofessional hacks and thieves in the US. Do not go crying down business people all across an entire region just so you can get business.

To the OP, good luck with your wedding. Ireland sounds very romantic and when using the local vendors, do lots of research. That way you can potentially minimize the hassles that go along with planning any kind of wedding, much less a destination wedding.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: May 3, 2009 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: brownegirl

Bally, I know it's confusing (about people calling themselves "Irish" who live in America) :P But American and Canada are very multicultural, and there is only a small percentage of native populations here, so many people do tend to refer to themselves by their ancestry :P

Also, I agree with Bally about Dulbin being a little bit touristy...from what you've described, I'm not sure it would be what you are looking for. In all honesty, I feel that the North has the true beauty...so I would look into Northern Ireland :P

Oooh....I wonder if you could get married by the Giant's Causeway...that would be SO COOL!

I also agree with Bally to ignore that photographer - you don't go to another country and expect to have an American wedding. That's right up there with getting married in a church and not wanting any religion involved. Insulting. (I know that you, OP, did not suggest that...just saying you should ignore the person who did!)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: May 4, 2009 6:09 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Wow...this is certainly a contentious topic. There are many, many
photographers who travel worldwide for weddings. Check out Yervant, David Jay, and Mike Colon - all world-class
photographers traveling globally for weddings. Or, pick up an issue of
Grace Ormond magazine and see who is shooting those weddings -
typically not locals. It is definitely a
higher end market with most photographers making between $5-15,000 per wedding, but it does exist and it is flourishing. In fact, I have weddings booked in
The Bahamas, Rome, and NJ this coming year (we are in Florida).

I can
agree with you that it is part of the charm of a destination wedding to
use local vendors, but to be fair there is another side to the coin and not all brides think alike. Just because time changes and accents don't bother you, doesn't mean they won't bother someone else. Further, a destination wedding is typically one day in another country but many more days working together both before and after the wedding - some people prefer it be someone in their hometown who they can work with closely. I honestly don't think there is a right or a wrong way to go about it...just what you the bride is comfortable with.

The bottom line is that I simply participated in this discussion and I would
appreciate the respect of not being called "just plain dumb" or "tacky" because I said that other MAY have a different viewpoint from your own. I am a professional wedding photographer and a Brides.com advertiser. I don't come on the forums to insult people or to be insulted - just to stay in touch with brides and offer friendly advice.

Best of luck to all the brides...I wish you a pleasant wedding planning experience.

Julie Brewer

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: May 4, 2009 8:40 PM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

So do you, like Magic Moments Photography, pay to advertise on this forum?

Posted: May 5, 2009 1:09 AM Go to message in response to: BrewerPhotoVideo

Dear Julie,

"A castle in Ireland would be amazing! Do you have a photographer yet?! My hubby and I love to travel for weddings. Hint, hint! =) "

This, to me, looks more like "drumming up business" than "friendly advice".

You're out of line on this.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine