What would you do?

Online Users: 1,235 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 11

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
What would you do?
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 10:47 AM

So I have about 4 months until my wedding. I was hoping to have health insurance by now but thats a no go. I have acne and it drives me CRAZY. Nothing ever works to get rid of it just reduce it. I'm 25 years old i'm TIRED of this! Granted my mom had the same problem and had to see a doc about it too.

I still have about $1,500 to pay on the wedding and have about $1k saved. My FMIL offerd to help pay for things but I MUCH rather her not since she already helped us get our house. I do have a dirt bike I could sell to get more money... But not really sure I want to. I'll never get the money I spent back out of it.

Well I called the derm. around here and she said it's $110 for the consultation. And I know the actual medications are expencive. Would you just go for it?

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

Re: What would you do?
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Also if anyone has gone to a dr to get theirs taken care of how long did it take to clear up? I am thinking about waiting another month to see if I get benefits but I want to be sure my face is clear by my wedding (I have mild acne. it's not HORRIBLE but it's more than I want. Without makeup my skin is a bit red and small bumps everywhere)

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I have a dermatologist, and without insurance, the meds would be expensive (but I got stuff lasting me three months: he gave me some pills, which are probably $30, Retin-A which is probably $70, and Benzacline which I think is between $120 and $230.
It only took a week or two for my acne to clear up quite a bit, but the pigment takes a long time to go away. Bumps were gone, color remained for awhile.
As for biting the bullet, that's something only you can decide because it is such a financial strain.

bunnybear05 Posts : 157 Registered: 1/7/09
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I would pay it. Sometimes, derms give out samples for free of the skin care items that they recommend for you. I went to a derm and he prescribed an antibiotic and to use a mix of salicytic acid and glycolic acid face pads.2% SA 10% GA Now, the pads were from his line of skincare. I didn't rebuy them after I ran out, instead I used a mix of Neutrogena Microclear face wash and Dermadoctor Wrinkle Revenge facewash at night with my clarisonic brush. I was on the antibiotic for three months and the prescription expired. So far, my skin has been alot better even after stopping the antibiotic. It was nice to go and get an idea of what he would recommend regimen wise and the products andthen go find drug store versions.

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 8:37 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

First my question for you is--what's your current regimine?? I know I have some acne but I also don't do what I know I should.... I started a month before the wedding using Neutrogena's acne control kit religiously and it cleared up better then when I went to the dr. and got a prescription cream. Now I didn't see a dermatologist--I saw my regular dr who prescribed some kind of antibiotic/acne cream. It was $35 with my insurance--I don't know how much without it. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd start with the neutrogena kit (I have sensitive skin and did fine with it) for less than $20 and if you don't see results in a couple weeks then shell out the money for the dermatologist....

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

I've tried the neutrogina kit and proactive. The pores on my nose got smaller with proactive but thats about it.
Now I DO wear makeup and unfortunatly I wear it over night while i'm at work. I'm sure that doesn't help AT ALL!!

I recently got neutrogina face wash and it seems to be helping a DAMN good amount. Still red though.

I guess I need to get over my insecurities and at least wash my makeup off at work. Need to get better makeup that isn't oil based. I'm guessing mine is since it's a pain to wash off!

I didn't know normal docs could perscibe stuff like that. Might have to look into that!

autumntw Posts : 3 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 9:34 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Look up the acne.org website if you haven't tried that regimen. The products aren't expensive and last a long time. I use Purpose face wash in place of the cleanser, which is only about $5 at wal-mart. The Benzoyl Peroxide treatment and AHA+ are amazing! The shipping is kind of expensive, but it's more than worth it. I am getting over a horrible breakout, which is awful because my wedding is in 17 days. I just started using the Benzoyl Peroxide treatment and AHA+ about 3 days ago, and not only has my acne almost disappeared, but my scars are fading. It's seriously amazing to me. I thought I was going to be all broken out for my wedding, and now I probably won't be :) If you want to see some other reviews on the products, go to makeupalley.com and search for acne.org products. I think like 80 something of people gave it 5 stars and said they'd repurchase it. I know this sounds too good to be true, but I am so glad that I finally tried it. It's definitely worth a shot. Just a tip though, the neutrogena benzoyl peroxide cream does not work half as good as the one from the website, I used it for a while. And I think the AHA is actually what is fading my scars from the breakout. As far as makeup goes, Physician's Formula mineral powder foundation does not irritate my skin, and my skin reacts to just about everything. You can get it at wal-mart also. I really hope this helps. I understand what you're going through, I couldn't get to a derm either and was really stressed about it.

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I get a lot of minor break outs every now and then too, probably because I wear make up daily as well. I find that the Neutrogena rapid clear face pads help a lot in keeping my break outs more minimal. Everytime I run out and go a couple of days without using them I tend to start to break out more. I definitely recommend picking those up and giving them a try. I use beauticontrol products regularly, I use the regular face cleanser gel for 20's twice a day (morning and night), the 20's toner, then the neutrogena rapid clear face pads, then I use the beauticontrol all clear spot treatment for any little pimples I find, and then the beauticontrol clear ance treatment moisturizer. This seems to be helping to keep things under control. I still get a few occasional pimples but nothing as bad as before. If you are interested in checking out the beauticontrol acne products I can give you a link to the website.

I would also recommend trying a different make up, your face might break out a little when you first switch over because it is a new product, but once your face gets used to it it might help. I use bare minerals daily and occasionally use make-up forever HD foundation if I want a coverage that will last. The bare minerals is light though and because it is more like a powder I don't think it sits heavy on your pores like a liquid foundation does. Definitely make sure whatever liquid foundation you pick up says that it is "oil free", and try to go for something on the light coverage side. You might also consider mixing a little bit of an acne moisturizer with the liquid foundation before applying it to your face, this will help give a lighter coverage and might also help in combating the acne problem.

Oh! I almost forgot, exfoliating is important too! I exfoliate at least twice a week with a face scrub, the beauticontrol face scrub is awesome as the ones I've bought at the store don't genuinely feel like a scrub, but this one literally does feel like little tiny particles of sand and really does an outstanding job at exfoliation, I love that stuff. This will help clean the pores out :o)

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

Edited by: 2009ToBeMrsV on Apr 30, 2009 1:03 PM

SoontobeMrsJaqu... Posts : 8 Registered: 4/30/09
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Hello-

If you have really bad acne, I would try acutane. The only thing with that is, it takes a few months for things to kick in, and since you have only 4 months until the wedding that might not be enough time. My sister went on Acutane(prescribed by a dermatologist) and it cleared her skin right up, but her skin got worse while taking it, and than when she was done, her skin was so nice! It is very Expensive, but well worth it! You might be able to do something less expensive but you have to visit the dermatologist.

As far as a skin regimen it doesnt really matter what skin care products you use. If you have internal acne, you could use the most expensive skin care there is, and that will not help. You will need some type of medication.

If I was you, I would spend the money and see the dermatologist. All eyes will be on you, on your wedding day, so you probably want to be looking your best. Tell the dermatologist you have limited time until your wedding and you want something to help clear up your acne, and dont settle when the doctor tells you to use special skin care cleanser(this happened to my sister). Do some research prior to going into the doctor, ask questions, your paying a lot for the consultation..make them work!

Good luck to you!!

Posted: May 1, 2009 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsJaqu...

I was talking to a girl in class about seeing a derm. and she said she had to go once a week for 3 weeks at first.. ouch.. then she said she couldn't even tell I had acne. hah.

I'm going to check out that acne.org site. And maybe talk to my FMIL to see if her doc could perscribe or recomend an antibiotic that would help (she works at a dr's office)

thanks girls :)

Kaylesgee Posts : 14 Registered: 4/5/09
Posted: May 1, 2009 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Hiya, don't forget, wash you makeup sponges and brushes etc every couple of weeks as they can breed bacteria. Oh yeah and loads of fruit and veg xx
Kayles was here!!!!!

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 6:19 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

Big discount. any detail please visite to, http://www.juliebridalshop.com/

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine