Making the Maid of Honor Look Distinctive

Online Users: 1,276 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

Soon2BMrsPorkChop Posts : 73 Registered: 1/1/09
Making the Maid of Honor Look Distinctive
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 3:31 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on picking a distinct dress for my MOH, and I love the dresses I have picked for the bridesmaids. I am asking the MOH to pick what she would feel most comfortable in for her body type, and a lot of what she likes is very different than the style my BMs will be wearing. Has anyone had a similar situation in her bridal party? Do you think it looks okay to have a completely different MOH style?

If anyone has pictures of the two different styles they've used, please post! I want to see if it can be pulled off. Thanks!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: Making the Maid of Honor Look Distinctive
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

I think it looks nice when the MOH has a different dress, but I also think there should be something unifying the bm's together. Example: she can pick a different dress, but narrow it down to something that is the same length, fabric and color as the bm dresses. For instance if your bridesmaids are wearing long, satin, strapless, green sheaths, your MOH could wear something that is long, satin, a line, and halter, also green. It might look out of place if she wore something knee length, chiffon, spaghetti strap and orange.

Also keep in mind the formality of your dress and the wedding in general. I'd just give her some guidelines so you end up with a cohesive look.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:07 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

I agree with the PP. If you look to the right on this board, you will see an Ann Taylor ad with maids in distinct styles. Some brides have all of their maids in individual styles. I have many pictures that I can send you--just contact me through my website. Another way to go is to do the same dress in a different color, or to add a distinctive touch, like a sash. Or, you can make her bouquet more important than those of the other girls.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 8:20 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

I think having a distinctly different MOH is fine. I allowed for all of my bridesmaids and MOH to choose their own dress. They even picked out the color (all the same, though) since the one I picked they felt didn't look the best against their skin. My personal goal for my girls is for them to be comfortable in what they wear. What I care about as a whole is that they're standing next to me. I'm not concerned about what everyone is going to think about their clothing.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 2:47 AM Go to message in response to: adrigirl01

Thanks for your responses :) I'm posting pictures for further guidance! Below is the dress the bridesmaids will be wearing. I want them in navy with ivory on top:

When I showed the picture to my MOH, I could tell by her reaction that she didn't feel like she would look good in it. She basically said she'd have to really work out and lose weight. I could've gone with all one dress style for everyone, but she is my MOH and I genuinely care about her being comfortable. I approached her later and asked if she would like to have her own special look, but I didn't mention anything about weight, as I didn't think it was necessary to draw attention to that.

I asked her to browse the dress company's (Bari Jay) website and find some other styles she likes. I figure its a MUST to go with different dress styles from the same designer, in order to be positive the colors will match. Here are some of her choices:

Do you ladies think the dress styles are too, too different? Or will we still look good in pictures? Feel free to vote on your fave :)

Thanks again for the input!

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 8:17 AM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

I love your BM dresses!! I know I could not wear one though and I imagine that you took all your BM body types into account when you choose them because they would look a little strange IMO on a shorter girl or a plus size girl. Or maybe it is just that model that has me a little freaked out. Anyway, they are very striking and if you want to make your MOH stand out you will need something that is really fabulous. I personally like the first cream dress, MOH dress 2, I think the pleats(???) on the bodice match the ones on the BM dress. The navy blue one is a little plain compared to the BM dresses and the final dress is very nice but it doesn't have the wow factor of the BM dress either.

My seamstress actually told me my MOH style was too plain compared with the BM dresses when we went to measure the girls. We basically had to completely rethink the style at the last minute. I think it worked out for the best but I'm adding my two cents so you don't get the same grief I had.

Good luck.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: brownegirl

I think any of those dresses your MOH picks will be fine, then give her a larger or more elaborate bouquet than the other girls (maybe?) and you're done. In case it helps, in a wedding I was a BM in, the bride told us to choose dresses in the same color from David's Bridal (cornflower), but we could choose any style we wanted. Here's what we got:

Here's the color cornflower:
Bridal Party Style 83259 - Short strapless satin dress with sweetheart neckline and trumpet skirt.

The MOH picked the style below:
Bridal Party Style 8355 - Satin strapless rhinestone belted tea-length dress.

Two of us picked a style similar to the below (this was a couple of years ago, so the actual dress was discontinued):
 Style F12942 - Sleeveless faille short dress with release pleat neckline and satin straps.

And another BM picked a style similar to below:
Bridal Party Style F13095 - Sleeveless long jersey dress with charmeuse straps and waist.

I think the pics looked good, personally, but then again, I know maybe the style and maybe dress-length differences in what we picked could really have bugged a bride that wanted things a tad more uniform. This particular bride liked blue but just didn't care about the rest, so she was fine with how we all all looked.

preview image

briony Posts : 75 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

My favorite is MOH dress #3 with the twist bodice and pleated skirt; the pleated skirt is a nice complement to the neckline of the bridesmaid dresses. The bridesmaid dresses are beautiful and unique, but because the mermaid style is so unforgiving to the hips, butt, and midsection, I wouldn't choose it for somebody who wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it. If she feels self conscious, it will show in pictures.

June6 Posts : 33 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

I also think #3 is the best. From the picture is looks like it has an empire waist look that would help bring attention away from the hips/stomach. However, I have a question, have your other bridesmaids seen the original dress and what do they think of it? I think it would take a very specific body type and personality to look good and feel comfortable in it (tall, skinny and fashion forward) since it is very unique and curve-hugging.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BMrsPorkChop

Really, any of them will work, because all are the same length, level of formality, and (I'm assuming) same color(s). So, just let her pick the one she likes the best and don't worry about the smalle details (e.g.pleating).
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Apr 30, 2009 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Thanks for everyone's input. We were leaning toward the MOH #2 and 3 as well, so I'm glad to see other people agree. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the details, its impossible for me to give a valid opinion. Thanks again!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine