Calling all size-20 women in Boston! Where do you go for great dresses?

Online Users: 1,281 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 0

chickie404 Posts : 13 Registered: 10/15/08
Calling all size-20 women in Boston! Where do you go for great dresses?
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 9:29 AM

Calling all hot size-20 women! Where do you go for dresses that make you feel wonderful?

My size-20 sister (and one of two bridesmaids) has major body issues. I talked to her a lot about whether she really wanted to do this, whether she'd be OK with being seen and having her body "on display," before I asked her to be a bridesmaid. I showed her a dress I liked as an "inspiration dress" from JCrew to see how she'd feel about wearing something similar--wide V-neck, ruching through the bodice, knee-length--and she said it looked like something she'd be comfortable in. I found a few similar dresses online at Alfred Angelo and David's Bridal, but she doesn't even want to try them on. She's convinced that she'll look awful in everything. (Fact of life: Every woman will look awful in at least 75% of what she tries on, a point that escapes my sister. Every garment that doesn't flatter her is just more ammunition for her to use against herself, to tear herself down for being a size 20.)

Frankly, I don't care WHAT dress she wears, as long as she doesn't hate it! I'm buying her the dress and shoes, and at this point, she can wear any style, color, fabric, WHATEVER, I don't care, as long as she feels anything less than suicidal in it. Tall order at this point.

She lives in Boston, and I'm planning to come visit and take her shopping. I don't want to limit our search to "bridesmaid" dresses; I'll go anywhere, look at anything. Are there any wonderful boutiques that cater to non-dowdy plus-size women, in the Boston area or online? I live in NYC and would be glad to take her out here as well, I just don't know the resources. (And I'm no toothpick either, size 12/14, but I just don't know the higher-end resources.)

Thanks so much for your help. I really want her to enjoy this experience and feel special and pampered, rather than crushed and defeated and just more self-hatred.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine