The grapefruit diet

Online Users: 1,319 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

flaahowa Posts : 32 Registered: 3/24/09
The grapefruit diet
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 2:06 PM

Has anyone ever tried the grapefruit diet?? I have read so many success story online!!!! Tomorrow I am starting and I will keep everyone posted on how well it works.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Re: The grapefruit diet
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 2:34 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

I wish you success on this, but it's technically considered a "crash" diet. Meaning you may drop weight fast, but you will gain it back once you stop doing it. Personally, I'd recommend limiting your calorie intake and reduce your carbs. Focus on lean protein like grilled chicken and almonds. And up your fiber. That's a much healthier way to loose weight, where the results will last. Also, check out this website http://www.thedailyplate.com/ it'll tell you what your recommended daily numbers are, and let you track your food. My personal trainer recommended it, and it's pretty neat.

Good luck!

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I agree about the crash diet.

Losing weight and staying HEALTHY is NEVER going to be easy. If it was there would be far less people over weight.
I noticed you had another thread about losing weight fast and not being able to find a work out you enjoy doing. I hate to break it to you but again it's never going to be fun and exciting. Granted as was said in the other thread physical activities such as karate and sports will help! But eating right and "clean" needs to happen as well.

I use to do Turbo Jam videos (I felt odd at first but after a while it's kind of fun) and it made me feel much better! I hate to run but I started doing it anyways and taking my dog with me. She makes me laugh and takes my mind off of the bad part of running.
Now i'm doing P90X. I'll tell you right now I HATE it and I will probably not do it after I get married and test for the fire department. It's hard and it will leave you hurting. BUT it works! Works WONDERS! I should actually be doing it now but am slacking. lol

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

What is P90x?

Thanks for the responses ladies! I figured the grapefruit diet was a fad diet but it does not sound dangerous-you still eat and you are eating fruits veggies and meat. I kinda have to do a fad or crash diet at this point if I expect to see any changes before the wedding. I really want to kick up my exercise and you are right there really isn't a fun way lol How was Turbo Jam. I am the worst dancer ever so I'm not sure I could keep up. was it fun?

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

Turbo Jam is more like a boxing/kicking type thing. And at first I thought the music was odd but now everytime I think of turbo jam I get the song in my head and wanna get down. lol

P90X is another set of workout videos. It's the "new fad" which combines many work outs. It's "muscle confusion" so every day you're working a different muscle group. But you have to be comitted to make it work! You do something every day other than your last day of the week which you can either just rest or do the stretch video.
They use either dumbells or resistant bands. I just have the bands.. and pull up bar (which I've just been using the bands but I really want to work more on my upper body so i'm going to walmart to get their bar for like $30).
And every work out is different. It's REALLY hard though! They have whats called ab ripper x which you do I think 3 times a week after a workout.. and WOW does it work!! You work out your entire core so it's not just one section of your abs (crunches focus mostly on your upper abs).

Problem is it's like 13 DVDs and they cost a total of $119 :( Thats not including the bands. You can get it cheaper on ebay but i'm pretty sure they are just copies. They work either way.. I can't say how I got my copy ;) but I went on ebay and got my resistant band set for $25.

I work a full time job and go to school full time and pretty much have one hell of a full day! But i'm REALLY wanting this so I always find time to squeeze the videos in regardless of how much I don't want to! Today for example... so didn't want to! I couldn't even finish the video since I skipped breakfast and had a small lunch and I worked out at dinner time. So keep diet in mind! or you'll crash like I did :( I'm starting to feel a little better but my dumb butt just about passed out lol

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

LOL I thought Turbo Jam was a workout video!!! Wow that workout sounds really hard but I bet it brings results. I am going to have to check ebay becuase I can not afford the reg price. I can't beleive you almost passed out!!!!! lol

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

I advise against it if you take certain medications (I know cholesterol meds are one) since it interacts. Check with your pharmacist! Otherwise it seems like a crash diet to me. I've never tried it though--don't like grapefruit!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 8:20 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

I love grapefruit!!! I went to the store to get the stuff for the diet and ended up just getting a ton of fruit and veggies. Maybe the diet does really work but I'm just going to go the healthy route :)

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: May 10, 2009 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

baha i did the grapefruit diet in a desperate attempt to lose weight for rowing purposes (gained some weight and no longer made it into my weight class)

after a week I gave up

it was absolutely horrible

the grapefruit diet is supposed to work since grapefruit is so acidic that it literally burns the fat as it's digesting

well, eating that much acidic food is really bad for you. It's the equivalent of eating like a lemon and an orange at each meal.

I used to have fresh squeezed grapefruit juice every morning, half a grapefruit for lunch and then either some plain greens tossed with some sliced grapefruit or a piece of poached salmon and some grapefruit salsa on it...when direly needing dessert I would half freeze a grapefruit and eat a couple slices with some sweetener.

That much acid...everyday...makes you feel sick. I probably lost weight from throwing up from the amount of acid I intook.

Also, the second you get off that diet, it all packs back on, it's only affective while you are intaking such a high amount of acid.

As a rower, I have partook in many severe diets which were not good for me, but I was never as unhealthy or as miserable as when I was on the grapefruit diet.

That was just my experience though.

CamLovesJmw Posts : 49 Registered: 12/3/08
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 3:25 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

I just wanted to comment on the Turbo Jam. I bought it on e-bay for a lot cheaper, and free shipping, then on the actual website. I on week 2, the 3rd day in, and i have to say that my arms are really sore. It's a lot of fun, I get the songs stuck in my head, and it makes me want to workout some more. I haven't had any results yet, just for the fact i'm so new into the program, and i've been slacking on my healthy eating, but I love turbo jam, and the instructor is fun..

Chelsea

Chelsea and Josh Six years Strong

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine