A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 1,260 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: theblackdiamond...

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Nessa- You are not a heifer if you can walk comfortably on your own two feet, imo! I'd also like to lose a fair amount of weight, but I'm making small goals for the time being so I meet them more often and feel motivated, lol. I'm currently about 170, and all for a weekly weigh-in, for whoever suggested it. If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy your bras?

About the gym, I find that once I've gotten into the habit of going I start to feel like I belong there too, even though I'm not the skinniest or buffest. I've made the time to show up, I am a member, and I'm familiar with it so I start to feel more comfortable and even view it as MY turf, lol.

Autumn- You could (illegally) download the latest version of Adobe Photoshop CS and mess around with it during little bits of freetime, especially during the summer. There are tons of helpful tutorials on the web to learn from!
Funny that our situations are similar in terms of the summer and engagement. Are you in favor of getting engaged before or after you both move to FL? My boyfriend will be gone from approx. June 25--Aug.25, two months. Him being gone has nothing to do starting wedding plans- besides locating a venue, not much has to be done that early. I've been thinking a LOT the past few weeks about our relationship and the next steps, sort of like double and triple checking everything in my head with endless questions and trying to look at it objectively and not like a woman in love. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

BlackDiamond- I'll wear flats, or sandles, or maybe go barefoot. It's going to be a casual outdoor wedding, probably in summer 2010. I don't know how much you've picked up from past posts, but I'm 22 and my boyfriend nearly is too. We're both seniors at different universities 3 hours apart, so long distance has been the majority of our 2.75 years together, though we make the weekends, holidays, and school breaks together count!

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Hey girls! I'm still feeling icky and I'm not very happy about it. :-( Chris seems to be okay, though, which is a good thing because the two of us being sick would not be a good thing.

Autumn: I am a musical theatre major and I want to teach voice and musical theatre. I've been taking private lessons for around 6 years now and have been taking from two teachers for almost a year, and will continue to do so until I'm done with school. For the last 3 1/2 years I've been teaching for the studio I've been a student at for 5 years. I started as an assistant running their computer piano program. Then I got some of my own piano students and now I teach both beginning voice and piano. I love my job and the awesome part of the whole thing is that the owners of the studio have told me repeatedly that I have a job for as long as I want it, and they are making plans to expand the studio starting officially next year. But since our studio is through the city, we are waiting on the city to start the process. Basically, we are hoping to renovate and move into one floor of the old city hall when the new city hall is completed. Doing that will give us at least twice the space we have now, so I will be able to teach full-time. Potentially, of course. It all depends on the city and the economy. Anyway, the only reason I'm not teaching full-time now is because of my schedule and a lack of studio space. Once those issues go away I'm looking at a full-time job.

I rambled. Anyway, I have 3 semesters left, so if all that works out I'll be able to start teaching full time as soon as I graduate, which will be awesome. I will be a senior as of this fall and I am SO excited!!

blackdiamond--your ring is beautiful! Welcome to the boards!

As far as the weight loss thing goes, I'm about 5'3 and 1/2 and I weigh about 125. I guess that's alright, I just need to tone up for the most part. I try to eat healthy and I drink water 99% of the time. I dance about 4 1/2 hours a week--ballet at school--but other than that I don't have the time or energy to work out! I'm going to try and spend some time at the gym over the summer, but we'll see what happens.

Well, I need to do some research on some music for an assignment tomorrow, redo a play synopsis and possibly bake some cookies for Christopher. And sleep eventually too. Good night girls!

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 11:38 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

Rose~ Thanks i know I am not a heifer, I am used to being around girls smaller than me, and I am comfertable with my body, but I realized the weight has gotten a little out of hand and my kness are slightly starting to hurt if I walk to much. I want to be in shape and healthy when we start trying to have kids so that is my biggest goal. Ipretty much just buy my bras at Lane Bryant. I was so shocked when I got measured and they told me I was that big because I got mesured at Lane Bryant over the summer and they told me to buy 42 DD. I hate bra shopping, but I found a nice bra boutique across the street from my work I may check out the prices for regular bras. Wasn't it you that asked awhile back about having large breast and small waist and worring about dress shopping? If so from what I learned you will need to get a dress to fit your breasts and have it taken in in the waist.

Autumn~ Aboutt he engagement, I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds like you two are at a great place in your relationship and whenever Ben decides to propose will be perfect. I can see where you would want to wait until you move to Florida with him so you can enjoy the time being engaged, but also it would be nice before to know that there is that "official" commitment. I say let it happen when it does, it will be special and perfect!!

Ryann~ O hun I hope you feel better, I hate being sick, and I am such a baby, FH gets a little annoyed with me sometimes, but he still takes care of me. I love baking cookies when I don't feel good. Your job sounds awesome. And thats so nice that they want you to stick around! Congrats on almost being done with school!!!

Alright I am off to bed! Night girls!

thecarrotflower Posts : 34 Registered: 9/8/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:57 AM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Wow! So much has happened since I was here last.

KJ- That is exciting that you were finally able to pick out bridesmaids dresses. We went on a weekend get away to find mine and it took forever to find the right color and once we found one it only came in one of their sizes. I had to eventually settle for a slightly different color, but the girls really like their dress so that is good. You should post a picture if you can.

Brighter- Thank you for the sympathy, my friend is still in New Zealand and will be coming back in May. I am really looking forward to her return and am thinking of somehow involving her as maybe a guest book attendant or perhaps and honorary bridesmaid. I don't want to stress her out to much since she is going through such a rough time so having it so it is just an option, she feels she is part of the wedding but doesn't have to many responsibilities thrown on her.
About the ring, I think that having something different is great. It is really cool that you don't feel the need to have the typical ring. I have never felt the need to have a huge diamond and am encouraged by girls who don't care about the diamond and ring but care more about the symbol and meaning of it.

Nessa- I love the hair style you have chosen. It is really pretty and it isn't one of those do's that look overdone as though you plastered yourself with hairspray.

Rose and Brighter- I loved hearing about how it is for you going through the long distance. You two seem to do it so well and I hope that even though this summer you may not be with your man as much as you want that you will be encouraged by how much you have taught us about love and how it really stands the test of time and in your cases distance.

Blackdiamond- Welcome! I am sorry that your future in-laws aren't able to make it. That is unfortunate. Either way it is about you and your FH and it is your day so it will be great. Having a nice reception at home where all your friends and family will be able to attend will definantly make your in-laws feel like they are more of a part of it.

I would write more but I have forgotten other posts, sorry.

So I think that this weight loss thing is a great idea.
Here are my states:
Height: 5' 7 "
Weight: 135 lbs
goal weight: 125 lbs
I don't have much to lose and it may seem ridiculas. But, all my life I have been really small. I have very fine features. 2 years ago when I graduated I was sitting at around 115. At that time I was to thin but since then I have gained 20 pounds. To tell you the truth lots of it went to create curves on my very small frame. But now I am uncomfortable with the extra pounds on my stomach. I would like to be about 125lbs because that is the weight that I felt best about myself. I have a boyish figure and well weight shows a LOT even if it isn't much.

About the wedding:
Ben and I have been working on Cards. This past Monday my BM and MOH came over and helped me with the invites and Ben came and helped too. All of us set together making an assembly line and we had a blast. We were measuring and cutting and gluing scrapbook paper to the back of the invites to make them look all beautiful! I am hoping to have them done next week as well as the RSVP cards so that we can send them out finally.
Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned it before but, I got my something blue! My mom found me some blue shoes when she went to the family reunion during easter holidays. I couldn't go with the family because I was house sitting a place in town! They are really cute ballet flats. Any ideas for something old and something borrowed?

wilsonc22 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/23/09
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 6:29 AM Go to message in response to: delete

I am new to this site but heard of this forum and thought I would take a peek. I recently turned 20 and my hubby to be is turning 20 as well next month. Our wedding is coming up fast September of this year and so far I think I have a pretty good hold on the plans.

theblackdiamond... Posts : 18 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Nessa - thank you about the ring! Congratulations on your townhouse offer! That is so exciting! I hope you guys get it and it all works out very smoothly.

Rose - wow, I can't imagine how hard it must be to live so far apart, but at least when you guys can live together it will be a new and exciting experience!

Ryanne - My FH's name is Chris as well!! :) You seem really healthy with all that dancing! I can't imagine doing that much dance and trying to fit in time at the gym as well, but good luck!

carrotflower - thank you for the encouragement! and congratulations on finding your something blue! What a cute idea to wear blue shoes! Good luck with the borrowed & old. Could you do a to for one and borrow something old from your mother? :)

WilsonC22 - welcome! I'm new here too. Wow, congratulations on your wedding coming up so fast! I'm sure there is a lot to do for it right now so i'm glad you feel so on top of it! What kind of wedding are you doing?

As for me... I just don't know about weight loss. I lost weight about a year ago, and am now 5'3 and about 118, which is below what my weight goal has always been (120). Now I can still look at my body and see things I don't like... my untoned stomach, blah blah blah... Chris & I got a gym membership, but we've been so busy we haven't used it. We prefer to go to the dog park with Riley than to go run on treadmills, but now I just feel guilty that he's paying for a gym membership for us that we're not using. I think things will change when I start dress shopping, but till then, I just don't feel motivated to do anything but try to eat healthy.

------- 

On June 5th, 2010 I will become Mrs. Ashlyn Brewer!

Edited by: theblackdiamondbride on Apr 23, 2009 9:22 AM

Edited by: theblackdiamondbride on Apr 23, 2009 9:26 AM

thecarrotflower Posts : 34 Registered: 9/8/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: wilsonc22

Willson- You are the same age as me. I just turned 20 on January 1st. Like a week after Ben proposed. Ben is going to turn 23 a few months before the wedding. What day in September are you getting married? What colors are you having? Are you going to stick with a fall theme?
I am getting married August 8th. Our colors are a chocolate brown and a cobalt blue. We were initially going to get married in September too but because Ben's family was coming down for a family reunion anyway the weekend before Ben's mom thought it best to get married the weekend after. Our theme is a casual kind of picnic theme, really simple and easy.

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: wilsonc22

Wilson: Welcome to the boards! So your wedding is in September? What are your colors? I'm just curious. I like hearing about all that stuff. :-)

BlackDiamond: Is your FH's full name Christian or Christopher? Mine's Christopher. :-)

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Rose217 wrote:
FH got news yesterday that he's been rehired as an American Counselor at English camps for children in Japan for two months this summer. I'm so happy for him, and yet a little nervous too. This will be his third year with the program so we've done it before and I know we can do it again, but we had some major issues to work out after he returned last Aug. I thought all of those were in the past but suddenly today I feel insecure and stressed all over again. I'll definitely talk to him about it this weekend in person, and I know I'll walk away feeling right about everything again. We'll also have to consider the future (though aren't we always?) and determine if an engagement in June, prior to him leaving, is still a good idea. I think he's for it, but I'm hesitant. Feel free to throw any advice or questions about this at me. It'll probably be a recurring topic in my posts. ;)
I can't imagine being away from Chris for two months, let alone having him be in another country! hugs If I remember, you guys are still in school, right? Is this job related to his major? If so, this is a REALLY good job for him to take because it will be such a good experience for him and it will look SO good on his resume (it will even if he isn't in school!)! And will this be his last year to do this? Or does he plan on doing it next summer as well? I think that if you aren't 100% sure, you should put the engagement on hold until he comes back. But if he is going to continue to do this, I think maybe some counselling is in order to help you two work through the issues that you had before and prepare to have them again, just in case things do come up.

Alright girls, I have to run and get blank CDs so I can start making rehearsal CDs for my students. I have about 6 of them who are doing recital, competition, or both this summer and they need rehearsal CDs so it's easier for them to practice! They get tapes or recordings on to their ipods every week, but CDs are so much easier! I'm also going to be collecting the recordings of their songs from the library so they can listen to them. I have lots of work to do, but it is so worth it when they do well!

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

Wow guys a lot going on since I have been on last ... I will try to remember everything ...

Whoever mentioned the once a week weigh in - that is a great idea!! What day would everyone like to do it? Maybe Friday because it is before the weekend and we have the whole week after the weekend to work off those extra lbs before our next weigh in?! lol

BlackDiamond - Welcome to the boards ... FH and I are both 22, I am going to be 23 in a couple of months. We are both graduating college in May .. 1 day apart and are planning to go on and get our master's degrees. We are getting married in 2011 because we need the extra time and money to save up to feel stable enough and we want to finish school completely before we get married. I like how your wedding date works out between your birthday, FHs birthday and grandparents anniversary!! (and yes FH stands for future husband) ... I am also sorry that FHs parents can't be at the wedding, I am sure that they want to be and it is hard in these tough financial times.

Carrot - glad that you guys got soo much done for the wedding ... I can't wait until we get to start really wedding planning, I know it is hectic but I really enjoy any wedding ideas and stuff.

Rose & Autumn - I know how it must be hard on you guys with waiting for the proposal. I remember when FH finally proposed to me. I only had to wait 4 months after we asked our parents and really seriously talked about it, but FH and I got engaged 1 1/2 years ago so I def. get the whole waiting game. Granted we are engaged, but we had to wait a year and a half before we could even book a place. I mean I wouldn't change it for anything, but it really is true that when you get engaged everyone asks when is the wedding and so on. Our families wanted us to get married earlier, but honestly we just have to focus on other things right now before we can start planning our wedding. So the time does go by fast and I am sure that the both of you will be engaged before you know it!!

Rose - I really am 5'3 ... well maybe even almost 5'3" ... I love wearing flats, but I loooooove wearing heals ... I pretty much have a problem with buying shoes and pocketbooks. I just love them so much I really don't have any more room in my closet ... and I am going shopping tonight for new summer shoes lol ... I know it's bad but I just can't stop lol. I don't know if anyone saw the Sex and the City Movie but the closet that Big built Carrie is like the closet I think I'm going to need for my shoes and bags.

There was someone else that is new I can't remember the name, but I wanted to say welcome and getting married in September is right around the corner. What colors and other decisions have you made?

Nessa - I know how you feel I feel that since my weight gain I have like let myself slip and it has only been since I was with FH and I just don't like how I look now. I mean I fit into my clothes and stuff but it's just not the same. I cannot wait until I get back into shape. I am really glad about the 2 lb loss so far, but I haven't been able to walk at all this week so far. It rained Mon Tues and Wed and today I am in work and I am not going to be able to leave. Tomorrow I am def going, I might even go twice because I missed out so much. But about the breast size, mine are big too and because of it I have back problems. It is the most annoying thing ever. Everyone is like oh it must be nice to be big and I'm like no not when you can't find a bra that fits you the right way or even a bathing suit top. Some of my regular clothes dont even look like because I am so big on top. I haven't gotten measured yet but I am a 34 DD+ because I don't find in my DD bras, I am always popping out!! So I know how you feel with that too - very annoyed!

About FH and I graduating a day apart from each other I am starting to think that it is going to be more hectic than anything. Yes it is cool that we are both graduating and can attend each other's ceremonies, but FMIL wants to have FHs graduation party the same day that he graduates. So if that happens this is how my weekend will be ... Grad rehearsal on friday, my graduation ceremony on sat, FHs graduation mass sat night, FHs graduation ceremony Sun and then FHs grad party Sun afternoon/night and work Monday morning. Yea just seems a little too busy for me. (oh and did I mention our graduation weekend is May 15-16 - that is 3 weeks away from this weekend) FH agrees but says the date isn't his decision because his parents are throwing it for him. Then I originally wanted to have a combined grad party because I am going to have to invite some of his relatives to mine and vice versa. Well that obvi is not going to work out b/c FMIL wants to have his party out of the house and his guest list is already at 85 (big families) and mine will be up there too, so we can't do that. So that is my mini rant about the graduation and graduation parties. Oh also 1 more thing ... we are waiting to book the last reception place we want to look at b/c his parents can't decide if they are having it the same day or the week after yet ... they have held this up like 1 month so far and I'm getting a little annoyed b/c we only have so much time before we can make a decision. generally FILs are great but I am just a little annoyed with them about this whole thing!

Next thing: the guest list. It's getting a little bit out of hand right now. We are at 220, ok that's a great number and to me if we go up to 230 that's ok too but I don't want it to be too much past that and yesterday FH mentions all these people that FILs might invite ... I know these people but they aren;t good enough friends IMO to be invited. One of the reception rooms only holds 220, 230 MAX and I really love it and so does FH and if this other reception site doesn't work out we were going to book the other one, but we can't if our guest list keeps GROWING!!! I really don't want to keep looking for other places as I liked that this place was on the ocean and had a great view, an outside and inside area, and so much more.

So that is my vent for now ... sorry the post is so long. I will have to vent on more later but I am at work so I should get off now lol :)

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

and I think I win for longest post ... Sorry it's so long, but I do feel better that I got that stuff off my chest!!

theblackdiamond... Posts : 18 Registered: 11/8/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

carrotflower - your colors sound beautiful! your wedding theme sounds absolutely charming, and your date is my sister's birthday! August is a beautiful month to get married in, especially in that picnic style you were talking about. have you picked out bridesmaid dresses? I don't know if you're into it, but something in plaid would be so cute for that theme.

Ryanne - his name is Christopher too. It's such a charming name, isn't it?

Ariana - I know it sounds hectic with you two graduating so close together, but at least it will just be a couple of really crazy weeks, and then you will both be free from undergrad at least! Plus you'll be going through the stress together. Think of it as a bonding experience. :) As for the guest list... WOW. Of those you're inviting, how many do you think will actually come? It would be a shame if you had to lose your perfect reception location and then find out that you could have actually fit into it! Maybe you should start doing some exploratory searching... see if there is anyone who won't be able to come. You can still send them a courtesy invite, but you won't have to worry about them taking up space. Also, if you're counting "plus ones" you could always decide to forgo that and hope your single friends/family can just mingle happily. Also, if you think certain people really don't need to be invited, i'd cross them off the list before i'd change your reception hall! Surely you can talk your FH into eliminating them rather than losing the location you both love! (it sounds beautiful, i'd love to see a pic!)

ETA: I always forget to post my updates. LOL.

Today has been a fairly good day for wedding planning. What can I say, you guys inspired me! We already booked a photographer (we got group pricing since my sister's using the same one) BEFORE we decided on the Jamaica location, and we can't afford to fly her and her husband out there, so I was kind of uneasy about wedding ceremony pictures. Sandals has a team, but they're fairly expensive. So, i bit the bullet and called my father. We have issues, and he recently got remarried, and his new wife is really wanting to be involved. Photography is her hobby and she's done some weddings, so I just decided to include her and ask her to do it. We'll probably still pay for Sandals to do some here and there, but it'll make her happy, my father happy (who still wants to perform the ceremony... bleck!).

I also made a full list of everything I need to do, which feels overwhelming, but i'm starting to get on top of things. Still not sure about the dress.

------- 

On June 5th, 2010 I will become Mrs. Ashlyn Brewer!

Edited by: theblackdiamondbride on Apr 23, 2009 2:33 PM

Posted: Apr 23, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine