zumba

Online Users: 1,355 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

sndlswedng Posts : 10 Registered: 10/19/08
zumba
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 12:11 AM

Does anyone take this class? I am really motivated to lose some weight and heard this class is amazing.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: zumba
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: sndlswedng

a group just started renting my church (by just started, I mean that tonight was the first one). Tuesdays suck for me, but I'm thinking about going.

Misty

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 12:27 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

i never took the class but i bought the dvds on ebay for a fraction of the price they sell em for on tv.

It was a pretty fun workout and when i was on the dvd with the floor exercises i could definitately feel it working!

i didn't use it too much though - dvd workouts bore me after a bit, with the routine of it - i need things to change up so often, lol... DH swears I'm partially ADD, lol...

Friends since December 1997, together since December 2006
September 13, 2008 I legally became his and he became mine.

I tend to write long posts - short and simple doesn't exist with me!
That's how I am, take it or leave it.

MovieBits - your source for reviews, news and more!
www.moviebits.blogspot.com

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 1:28 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I took a Zumba class a few times at 24 hour fitness. I ABSOLUTELY loved it! The 24s in my area don't offer Zumba, otherwise I would be all over it still! I highly recommend just trying it if anything. It will be well worth it!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: sndlswedng

Just got back from my first class.

It is high energy and that is okay. Fun music, motions are repetitive so once you learn them, you're okay. Having done other exercise dances before, I can see the exercise moves IN them, but you don't feel like you're being told "and one and two and three and four again and one and two and three and four one more time and one and two and three and four " over and over.

Recommendations:
1. Recognize your limits. Do not put all of your energy into the first song -- you're there for an hour, and you're jumping and bouncing and dancing and kicking and everything for about that time. Pace yourself.

2. Take Water (pure and straight up) OR one of those gatorade type drinks. Don't add fru fru stuff to your water because that isn't gonna cut it.

3. Take a towel. You're gonna want it.

4. Wear good shoes

5. Push yourself, but don't push yourself beyond your limits. If you have to sit down... do it, but get back in it as soon as you can (that means... if you take a break in the middle of a song, try to get back in during THAT song. ) If you have to keep moving but can't bounce as high, keep moving. You'll eventually get there.

You will build your endurance, but the first couple times are going to be hard. My legs hurt right now, and I kinda have a weird head feeling right now....I did not follow rule one.

If you ever did the dance to Footloose (that kicky dance).... imagine what it would be like to do that for an hour. That is the level of energy these things have. Do your best. You'll see people at different levels there -- some have been doing it for a while and can keep up with the instructor, others are waving their arms during certain portions and just barely moving their legs. Our gal was not a tyrant, and she knows that it does take a few lessons to build up stamina. You can't run a marathon with no practice....and you will not be able to do the Zumba class all the way through if you're not already in a steady exercise program now.

But for the non exercisey people, I do recommend it. But take LOTS of water/gatorade. And a towel. Afterall, Ford Prefect always advised not leaving your house without a towel.

Misty

ES15yrs Posts : 22 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 9:11 PM Go to message in response to: sndlswedng

I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lost 25 lbs doing it and enjoyed every minute of it!!! I like to dance, so I don't feel like I'm excercising at all, even though I come out of class completely soaked...awesome workout...you can easily burn up to 1000 calories in an hr!!! We had someone with a special watch that takes you heartbeat and other stuff to calculate how many calories you are burning, and she calculated a little over 1000 calories burned after the 1 hr class. And looking at how soaked in sweat I am, I believe it!

Kaylesgee Posts : 14 Registered: 4/5/09
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: ES15yrs

I've just done a Google search for it, they don't have classes in the UK I can only order DVDs, does anyone reckon it's worth a shot?
Kayles was here!!!!!

FutureSaunders Posts : 95 Registered: 9/18/08
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 8:11 PM Go to message in response to: Kaylesgee

I LOVE ZUMBA! I started in January and I go at least once/twice a week. It is a really fun exercise class, I fell like I am at a club working up a big sweat!! Enjoy, you are gonna love it!

Be Blessed!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine