wedding planner career

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

amberstar Posts : 38 Registered: 6/17/06
wedding planner career
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 8:06 PM

Hi guys- I love weddings and I would really like a career as an event coordinator/wedding planner- does anyone have any ideas on how to get started?? because of the economy no one seems to be looking for assistants- I have also seem a lot of information about wedding planning degrees?? is that necessary? what types of cridentials do you need it any?
any information would be helpful!!! thanks~
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!!!!Smile

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: wedding planner career
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:09 PM Go to message in response to: amberstar

that's my best friend's older sisters plan

she went to university and got a degree
but then went to college for a diploma program that you needed any degree for as a prerequisite for Event Planning

Right now she is interning at a Destination Weddings firm and is loving it.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: amberstar

Check out the Association of Bridal Consultants. They have information available on becoming a wedding/event planner.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

amberstar Posts : 38 Registered: 6/17/06
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: amberstar

thank you so much for the info!!
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!!!!Smile

JoanneEBehne Posts : 1 Registered: 6/3/09
Posted: Jun 3, 2009 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: amberstar

Hi Amberstar-
I just wanted to give you some information about a career in wedding and event planning. Firstly, you do not need one particular certification in order to work as a wedding or event planner. That said, enrolling in a well-recognized training program will definitiely give you an advantage when applying to work for a company, or even more so, if you're starting your own business. Getting started in these industries is actually quite simple. The start-up costs are minimal. You can check out www.qceventplanning.com or www.qcweddingplanning.com if you'd like more information on their distance education course (a really good one with business training included). I hope this helps!

BBGF Posts : 66 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 7:35 AM Go to message in response to: amberstar

Hi Amberstar.
To get started as an Wedding Planner you do not need to have a diploma but to belong to certain organizations like ABC you do have to have some formal training. Either way you proceed is up to you but if you can start of by doing some of your freind or family's weddings and events and see if its for you. Planning your own wedding is one thing but dealing with the public is another. You do have to be people freindly and have exceptionally organized in this profession. As you mention before about the economy, in a lot of area people are just not using them as they once were. So make sure that you have something to fall back on. I am a nurse at a hospital and work three 12hour shifts during the week the rest of the time I run ny event planning business and love it. mI love being the boss and all my clients I work directly with them. I have 8 other people who work for me. Make sure to check out your state laws if any regarding license and registering your company's name. Good luck to you.

Let us showcase your unique style.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: BBGF

I have no advice on how to become acreddited, but I would like to offer an idea:

Since the economy is terrible right now (I know, I own two small businesses and am currently eating ramen LOL!) I would suggest that if you can target the niche of "We'll help you plan a budget wedding! You tell us the budget, we'll do all the work". I am willing to bet that if you can work with vendors and clients to help save clients money, you'll find yourself still with plenty of work.

Just my .02.

Carry on. :D
My Planning Blog

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

I would suggest that if you can target the niche of "We'll help you
plan a budget wedding! You tell us the budget, we'll do all the work".

On the surface this sounds like a great idea. But upon closer examination you will discover this is not a workable business model in the wedding industry. First and foremost to be a successful wedding/event planner, you need to have a stable to good, reliable and trustworthy vendors to recommend. So how can you save the clients money?

Would you expect to have a deal with the vendors to provide you with a discount. You'd keep a portion of the discount and then pass some of that along to the client? If you are a member of the Association of Bridal Consultants, you'd discover this is considered unethical behavior. Not only that but how would you convince the wedding vendors to give you a discount. I've seen them come and go. A promise to bring me (or any other vendor) future business/clients has NO value. So basically you are asking a vendor to give up something for nothing. That's a non-starter with most wedding vendors. Now if you've already brought me a lot of business, then it is something I might consider but it has to be a win-win situation.

On the other hand, if you approach a new photographer, they might be willing to do this for a year or so. But eventually, they will have enough business that they will not need you in the budget price niche. Now you are faced with the task of continuing to find new wedding vendors. Furthermore, since you might be dealing with new vendors, they have no track record and may very well fail to produce the goods. This will ruin YOUR reputation.

Finally, take a look at the hours required to plan a wedding. Let's say you plan a $10,000 wedding. How are you going to get paid? I've already shown you that many vendors will not be willing to give you a discount for you to resell their business. So is the budget bride going to be willing to pay you to plan her wedding? I don't think so. She's trying to save money, not spend it. How about getting a percentage of the savings. So you save the bride $1000 and you get $500. For a 40 hour work week that is $12.5 per hour BEFORE expenses. You are going to need insurance, gas, phone, office supplies and advertising. Based on this, you are better off getting a minimum wage job flipping burgers. Unfortunately, catering to the budget bride with the premise of saving them money is just not going to work.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

BBGF Posts : 66 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 12:59 AM Go to message in response to: amberstar

I would agree also agree with the PP that there is a right way and a wrong way to run your business. You always want to have a good reputation. You need to also have business savoy and a good business plan. There are start up cost that you need to be aware such as what was mention, plus will you be accepting credit cards? If so add in merchant fees and a checking account , travel cost if not rolled into your pricing. You have to do some advertising so thats another start up cost. We live in the day where a lot of people like to surf the web. Will you have a site for potential clients to view. Not to mention having a lawyer for contracts and an account for book keeping. All of these are additional cost. You will also need a good computer and a lot of office supplies. Keep track of your mileage and all your expenses for income tax. A lot of WP charge 10 to 15% of the total cost of the wedding. I myself have packages that I have set prices and then I rearrange discount them to fit the couples needs and budget. I would also tell you go out there and make a name for yourself. Go to hotels and to different place that service weddings, if that is to be your main focus. Let these businesses know that you are a new company and would like to leave your business cards with them and would like to recommend them as one of your vendors to any future clients. Ask to see what they offer to clients as well as any deals that they may offer. Make your self accessible. Yes now you work in public relations. It is a lot of work but it can be really enjoyable to see some one's dream wedding come true and to have a part in it.

Let us showcase your unique style.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine