A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

Welcome Flaahowa! (I think I spelt that right?) Congrats, and you are very welcome here! I am 22 and will be 23 about a month after my wedding on May 24! Are you doing anything special with your court house wedding?? Also Check craigslist in your area for furnature, when my FH and I moved we got a nice entertainment center and 32 in tv for $40!!

Coquille Posts : 7 Registered: 8/1/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 8:49 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

hey ladies!!!... sorry it has been so long since my last entry.... i have had a lot of services to go to and a lot of traveling for the funerals.... thank you for all of you who had my family in their prayers..
anyway...
wow everyone's plans seem like they are going great!!!!!!!
i finally found a tent and party rental place that isnt a 3 hour drive from my ceremony/reception site.... it's actually located 30 minues away!!!!! so i loving that but my issue right now is how to cook half a cow and several whole chickens on an open ground spit... anyone have any advice... so the guest list is going to be about 200 people!!!!!!... and my budget is 10,000..... we are cooking all the food ourselves..... and my FH's grandmother is making our cake..... ive looked at pictures of her cakes and these cakes could be worth upwards of $600!!!! so if anyone has any tips on how to save please help me out!!!!!!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Autumn- that house is gorgeous! Imagining myself cooking in that kitchen or lounging in the living room is comparable to a kid dreaming about cinderella's castle. Too bad your boyfriend felt bad about not proposing, but I guess that's kind of a good sign in that he's thinking about it? At least you're not one of those girls that frequently show up on the Waiting for the Ring board: "Waaaah! I don't have a rock yet! Does he love me? WHEN WILL HE PROPOSE?!?" I think your patience is proof of your maturity and therefore readiness for engagement. That said, I'm rooting for you and can't wait to hear the story of when the proposal does happen, hehe.

Audra- Congratulations on finding happiness, girl! I don't have any advice about when to introduce your son to your new (boy)friend, but I'm sure you'll figure it out and everything will go okay. You sound like a wonderful mom.

Mari- Hi! Can't wait to see the bridesmaid dresses, photos are so fun. That's a really awkward situation around the cousin's wedding. Are they just forgetful or rude? No idea what the etiquette is on if you're required to invite someone who invited you, but I'd guess no? Have to ask AOTB if you want the textbook answer! ;)

And about FSIL being 12 and talking about sex with her boyfriend- WHOA! I was still petrified of holding hands at that age, lol. My sisters are 12 and 14; the older one is a self-described tomboy focused on sports and school, but the younger one had a boyfriend as of last month. She admitted to holding hands but was too embarrassed to talk about kissing. I try to keep the lines of communication open and let them know they can always talk to me about anything and I won't judge them. We talked about the birth control pill last time, next up might be sex, if they're willing. It shouldn't be mortifying since I'm not their mom, right?
It's tough for me to imagine any pre-and young- teenager having sex, their bodies aren't even fully developed and they just seem so young! Still, better to commicate early than too late. Chaperoning a date is a great idea! I bet they'd feel pretty cool going out with you and Kevin.

Brighter- You are soooo lucky to be done with the semester! I've got 3 more weeks! Congrats. I'm looking forward to the weekend now for you, knowing that you get to be with Greg. If school is under control I might get to see my boyfriend too....

Nessa- What crazy weather you have in Colorado! Any idea how you're going to do your hair before the upcoming hair trial? That resort with caves sounds awesome. Have a great time!

Flaahowa- Hi and welcome! Congrats on graduating AND finding an apartment so recently! I'll cross my fingers for you in the job hunt. Cheap furniture can be found at relatives houses, yard sales, Goodwill, other donation shelter type places, Craigslist, the classifieds, and if you're really daring, the dumpsters around the dorms and college apartments after spring semester ends. Though it was probably thrown out for a good reason, so I'd probably discourage that one. ;) Your wedding is getting so close, are you nervous?

Coquille- I wish I had some tips, but my wedding is going to be the same style as yours so I'm going to watch you and learn. Good luck!

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

flaahowa Posts : 32 Registered: 3/24/09
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Thanks for the welcome NessaRae!!!! I feel young all day at work becuase I am the youngest person there but I wasn't sure if I was still considered young lol

I am definitely going to check craiglist.com everything is just so expensive we need to save money where we can! We are trying to make the day as special as possible. City hall is downtown so we are going to get married and then take an hour carriage ride by the river (they are going to put a just married sign on the back for us :) and then we are going to eat at our favorite restaraunt that we can never afford. We are going to have drinks and food with both of our families and friends. Does anyone else have suggestions?? I would love other ways to make the day so so special (but I'm marrying the man of my dreams and my best friend so I can't really ask for too much more :)

Also the wedding is 39 days away and I still don't have a dress!!!! what should I wear???

flaahowa Posts : 32 Registered: 3/24/09
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 10:43 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Opps I didn't keep reading to see all the other responses.

Coquille- you wedding sounds like it is going to be amazing!!!! I wish I had some advice or ways to save money but I am pretty much clueless lol I definitely want to see pictures from your wedding, you are going to have to post afterwards J

Rose-thanks for the welcome and the tips. I don't think I am brave enough for the dumpster lol but thanks for the tips! I found a job after 3 months (I graduated in December) I work the department of children's services and find homes for children in state custody. It is a lot of work and I have so much to learn but I love that I have a career that allows me to give back. Unfortunately, my FH has not found a job related to his major so keep your fingers crossed! I feel a little nervous about the wedding! I've been dieting and exercising so I've been waiting to buy a dress but now it's 39 till the wedding and I don't have one. My sister and I are going to the mall this weekend hoping and praying to find something. I've also been looking for a simple cook book. I need to master a few more recipes before the big day. Any suggestions???

Autumn-thanks for the welcome and the suggestions of furniture J Good luck with the workout (I should be working out right now lol) what type of exercise are you doing?? I wish my FH would work out but he is naturally thin and has no desire to workout. He loves Wii and we play for hours (I always count it as a work out)

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: flaahowa

Hey girls! Yay theres finally some conversation in here!!

Fla~ Um I would check around for prom dresses since its prom season and those are quite a bit cheaper than actual wedding dresses. Or look for some evning dresses. As for making it sound more special sounds like you have everything perfect.

So My shower is this weekend and I am super excited, but a little bummed, only 1 person has RSVP'ed granted its my old neighbor and I can't wait to see her! But the invites went out like 2 weeks ago....All well I will get time to spend with my best friends and sister, and I am sure more people will show up! Oh and i am trying to figure out if I really need the offciant at the rehearsal, I could save $125, but its also $125 we have in our budget.....What do you ladies think?

Oh whoever asked I have decided how I want my hair, its going to be half up half down with a tiarra, well its a head peice its all bendy and cool....and a veil under the up part. I will try and post a pic later its just about bed time....

Coquille Posts : 7 Registered: 8/1/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

thanks everyone!!!!!! love the advice....
Nessa~ my hair is going to be the exact same!!!!.... it's real simple but elegant at the same time.... now for the officiant i say keep him for the rehersal because you are really gonna want to know how everything is going to play out in the ceremony!!!!....
well ill talk to you ladies tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 1:46 AM Go to message in response to: Coquille

Autumn- Let's keep talking about engagement! If he hasn't bought the ring yet, do you guys have a specific one picked out, or does he know your tastes, or will it be a complete surprise? What would your dream ring be? Totally sweet of you to remind him that a ring isn't required for the proposal. And don't feel bad about still looking forward to it, if you didn't, you wouldn't be in love or on this site!

Flaahowa- Your wedding day sounds lovely! A carriage ride by the river, talk about romantic and memorable! My only suggestion would be to make sure you have a photographer, or at least several people in the family, snapping away the whole time. I think looking among the prom dresses is a great idea, as well as browsing every woman's or teen's store at the mall that carries formal wear. Also bridal shops have sales, I've heard on the boards that David's Bridal regularly does $100 dresses so that might be an option. Or a cute sundress is you want to go more casual or colorful. Oh! I just remembered a few websites I have bookmarked if you don't mind the online route:
http://www.bravobride.com/
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Clothing-And-Apparel-c-274.html
Ebay maybe???
My favorite cookbook is from Betty Crocker, I think it's the heart healthy edition to be exact. My roommate uses it all the time too!

Nessa- Paying more for the officiant sucks, but if you're running through the ceremony and practicing who walks where when, who says what when, when music gets played, etc. I think it'd be helpful to have him there. Kinda like the master of ceremonies, or the ringmaster, if you will. If it's simply a meal though, I don't think I'd pay him $125 to eat!

Coquille- Cute new profile picture! Your hair sounds pretty, as does Nessa's.

I have a confession to make. I have a crush on one of my TAs (teaching assistants). He reminds me of my boyfriend in some of his looks (shorter, longish hair), is passionate about the field, and has a great personality--friendly,quick to laugh, great at teaching. Of course he's happily married and has an adorable son, which is great because I'm crazy about my boyfriend. I think he represents a future I'd like to have.... plus he's so freaking cute! He's the TA, so I'm supposed to stare while he's teaching, right? lol. It's like being in high school again, I'm the awkward freshman and he's the attractive, talented senior. Being unattainable only makes it better, hehehe. This probably stems from pent-up sexual energy--damn you long distance relationship! All of you ladies who get to see your man regularly, or even sleep next to them tonight, give them a hug for my sake. Since I can't do it I'll live vicariously through you, haha. And send me distraction vibes so I concentrate better in class.

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:26 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Hey guys ... sorry I haven't been on in awhile ... I am finishing up the semester and it has been crazy!! I can't wait to be done with school in 7 days (class days) and graduate!! FH is also graduating this year (we are graduating a day apart) so he is going to have a party, I am going to have a party as well and we need to look at one more reception place before we make our decision on where we are going to have our wedding. So I am excited about what is going on, but everything at once has been so hectic.

Brighter - Congrats on being done with school ... that's great and I know the feeling of relief when you are finally done with the semester, especially the year.

Autumn - the apt. looks great I really like it. FH and I were originally looking to buy a house too so I know how the house hunting feels I can only imagine what it is like in another state! Glad you guys got so much done on Friday ... give you a little bit of a break! FH and I didn't decide to buy a house because we too really never found one that we really loved so we made a decision to build our house. Right now it looks like we are going to start building it by next Spring (2010) because we have so much going on this year and it came up quick and we're not fully prepared to start building yet. I really wanted to start building this year because everything is going to be hectic with the house building next year and the wedding planning, but I don't think (hope) we're not going to have a problem. Plus I am sure that FH will be more involved with the house building while I'm doing wedding stuff. Also I just wanted to say that I love the ring that you picked out it looks gorgeous. I hope that you get engaged soon!

Fla - welcome! FH and I are both 22 and I am going to be 23 in a couple of months. FH and I are waiting to get married until we're ready financially as well as done with our master;s degrees. About the furniture ... do you have any family or friends that have anything that they are getting rid of? Let them know you are looking for something and maybe you can get something thru them! And the carriage ride and everything sounds great! As far as the wedding dress I would try and get a formal dress like someone else mentioned or a prom dress depending on the price. Also I know someone also mentioned David's Bridal and I think that is a great idea! Figure out how much you want to spend and look based on your budget.

Nessa - I can't even believe how close you are getting to the actual date. I am glad that the rehersal dinner is all taken care of and done with!

Also I can't remember who said about running on a treadmill ... I just wanted to add that I have been walking since last Wednesday as well as cutting out soda completely (I am still eating all the same foods and snacks) and I have already lost 2.4 lbs! So I think that walking/exercising makes a big difference and I am going to continue to do it. Right now I can only walk on my lunch break until I am done with school, but after I am done I am going to plan on walking during lunch from work as well as at night after work.

I can't remember what is going on with everyone else bc like Brighter my brain is also fried! I had 2 exams last night that were just hell and I have so many things do between the next couple of class days but I just can't wait to be done!

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Nessa and Co - I also wanted to say that I love the hair ideas that you both have ... post pics as soon as you can.

Also Co (I can't remember how to spell out your full name, sorry!!) I dont have any ideas for trying to save money because we are in the same problem as you with the guest list. People usually say if you cut back on the guest list, the more money you save, but because I am in the same problem as you I understand that sometimes you just can't cut back and cut people out. I don't know about your situation, but FH and I both have big families and that is where our guest list is ... so far we are at 210 and I think that we forgot to add a couple of people so it's going to go up from there. One of the reception places that we looked at that was gorgeous and not expensive can only hold 220 and I am afraid that we are going to go over that amount :(. Like I said in my other post, we do have another place to look at but I really feel that it is going to cost a lot more so I don't know exactly where that will leave us!

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Good morning girls!
Autumn~ I love the tredmill too, I am getting ready to scope out the fitness center at my work and start trying to slim down a little bit since I need to wear a swim suite on our mini moon!! And I still think that ring is beautiful!!

Brighter~ I will defantly give FH a hug in thought of you tonight. I remember when we lived apart and I hated having the weekend to get used to sharing a bed with him, then I would go home or he would go home and I would be alone....

Ariana~ How exciting to be able to have a house built!! I owuld love that, but then again I love the old houses with so much charm. We are house hunting right now to, only not very activly because the wedding is so close, and we are in our lease until September so our real estatre agent doesn't want to take us out until June.

Fla~ OO I forgot who said it, but you defantly have to have someone taking pics!! I would have diffrent family memebers on diffrent parts of the path your carrage ride will go on, and have them be hiding and snapping candid shots of the newly married couple!! I forgot what you said about cook books, were you looking for a healthy cook book, or just cook book in general? I love Racheal Ray's books, she is healthy, and good, and pretty easy for the kind of meals she makes. Also About.com has great recipies, and Recipezarr.com. When ever I need a recipe I just type it into google search and pick the best one that comes up.....I also have a lot of really good recipies in my head if you want any or have any questions feel free to ask, cooking is my passion.

Ok so here is a picture of the hair I want.....I am debating if I want to go back to red or not....

And here is my hair peice thing.... DSCN0159.jpg image by Nessabear615DSCN0160.jpg image by Nessabear615
And my veilDSCN0166.jpg The whole veil image by Nessabear615DSCN0167.jpg Close up of my veil image by Nessabear615
I am so excited, we have dance class tonight, and then next week we have 2 classes and on Friday we are going to a friends house to play with their new puppy, dinner, and then to the comedy club. And our tickets for Celtic Women came in yesterday!! Ok I better get back to work! Hope everyone has a good day, and good luck to everyone who still has finals!

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Nessa - the problem that we had with actually buying a house was that we need a LARGE dinning room to hold all of our family in. When we get married I would like for us to host a couple of holidays or something so we need the room to do it. Plus when we have people over we just need enough space to have everyone fit comfortably. I would also like to have a larger kitchen because for some reason I love to cook, especially bake! FH helps me sometimes when we're in the kitchen with cooking, not so much with baking tho!

How does FH like the dancing classes? I want FH and I to start taking them for fun now and then work on them again right before the wedding, but he's really not into it that much lol. We have a lot going on now so I'm not pushing the fact that we go but I would like to in the summer. It is good exercise too!

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: Ariana1228

Ariana~ I really want a nice sized dinning room and kitchen. Neither of our families are that big, and the majority of them are out of state, but I love hosting game nights where we have friends come over. Our last apartment we were in was pretty big so we could have quite a few people over, but this one its a squeeze to fit one other couple. I love cooking, and FH does help me a bit too, but my secret passion is baking, but FH is not a fan of sweets so if I bake, I end up eating it all and thats sooo bad! It was actually FH's idea to do the dance classes. As soon as we started talking what song to dance to (again his idea, I wanted to just have a light brunch with some soft back ground music) he brought up well shouldn't we take lessons? I said no there was no way we could afford it, plus we both know how to slow dance...Then a couple weeks ago I got an email from this company for $35 we could get 4 lessons....Turns out there was a catch, but after the first lesson we decided we like it, and last week we finally met with our regular teacher and she is a blast, she is so much like us it just feels like we are hanging out. I would defantly try and talk your FH into, mine wants to continue them after the wedding because it is something active we can both do, and we bond during it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine