Maid of Honor is vertically challenged...

Online Users: 1,333 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 40

angeloncldnine Posts : 3 Registered: 4/17/09
Maid of Honor is vertically challenged...
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 8:16 PM

So here's the deal,
My maid of honor stands at a whopping 5'1 and 3/4. (She makes me add the 3/4 because she's just thrilled that she grew a quarter of an inch!) Anyway, she's quite a short little thing next to my 5'7, long legged figure and we can't help but laugh when we start to think about how silly the pictures are gonna look! But besides the pictures, we wonder what kind of dress this girl is going to wear because not only does she have short little tree stump legs, she has a problem in the boob department as well. Just recently we found ourselves playing dress up in a few department stores and the poor girl is either too short or her boobs just aren't big enough!

She has the height for a knee length dress, but I can tell that she's tired of wearing short dresses just because the long dresses demand that she swim in them. This is where I turn to the help we so desperately need. What kind of dresses do you guys recommend for my flat-chested, stumpy legged best friend? Better yet, do ya'll know any tricks of the trade that would help her magically obtain a set of ta-ta's or add a few inches without putting her in heels where she would break her neck?

Pictures, URL's, heck, anything is appreciated!
Thanks!
-Rebecca

Miss Rebecca

Edited by: angeloncldnine on Apr 20, 2009 9:48 PM

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Re: Maid of Honor is horizontally challenged...
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

I think you mean she's VERTICALLY challenged.

And I think you're a bit rude.

I'm 5'0 and I don't have "stumps" for legs. i hope your friend isn't as offended by your snide remarks as most people would be. I proudly have size A cup tatas and am shorter than your friend and have NO problems whatsoever trying on dresses. Size 0 works just fine for me, and SHOCKER most dresses come in that size.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: Destiny123

First of all sweetie, if you were my friend, I would slap you! How rude to say that about your BEST friend! If you are embarassed by her and worried about how your pictures are going to look, perhaps you shouldn't have asked her to be your MOH. You should choose your bridal party based on your friendships, and not how they look.

Be prepared for the comments you are going to get regarding this post.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

As someone on the shorter side, I seriously resent this post as I am sure everyone else does too. You are rude. If you care more about how your pictures look, then dont ask her to be your MOH. Also, I hope you have NEVER told anyone this because its bitchy and a cause for self esteem issues.

Size zero is for women like this. I am a proud size A and I love it. Its called alterations. That is how you wear long dresses. They look beautiful on anyone.

Nat (21) 

What is meant to be, will be.

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

I do find this kind of insulting too. There are many good people in this world that are not tall. Just because you're not tall doesn't mean they can't look good also. I am also on the shorter side I'm only 5'0". I wear heals all the time so I'm used to wearing taller shoes that maybe some people are not used to. Is she going to wear very tall shoes all day? Probably not, but she can still look great. I've worn long dresses before. As a matter of fact my wedding dress is a longer dress and will be hemmed up. It's a standard alteration procedure that is not costly at all, so you can pick out a longer dress and have it hemmed. You might want to watch out for details though on the bottom of the dress, since that can get lost in the heming process. Also, for more flat chested people a dress that is either v-neck will help enhance the chest area or a dress that cuts straight across like a strapless dress should work fine.

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

Uhm...wow. Way to get hasty. In fact, my best friend and I are close enough that we can pick out each other's defects and laugh together about them. Excuse me for having a best friend that I can share anything and everything with. And this isn't a post about short people, just my short person and if she was going to be offended by this, she wouldn't have laughed when she read it as I was writing it.

Destiny...did I say that you had stumps for legs? No I didn't. I said that my best friend does. And she's the one that calls them stumps because she hates her legs. As for fitting her into a size zero, she just laughed and said "That would be a miracle by the grace of God!"

Ruby...I am not embarressed by her. Did you catch the whole "We laugh about it together" because I clearly stated that.

Natasha...excuse me!? "I hope you have NEVER told anyone this because it's bitchy and a cause for self esteem issues." I discussed it with my best friend. And excuse me but you're comment was worse than what I said about her.

Stephorse...she doesn't even want to wear heels because she thinks she looks ugly in them. She put on low heeled shoes yesterday and said that she looked bad and I didn't think so at all! In fact, I think she'd prefer to be barefoot if anything.
Miss Rebecca

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and say that your post wasn't that offensive. I used to be best friends with a short person, lots of people in my family are short, and we've made jokes together too. I also don't think you were being offensive to short people as a whole, but I guess I can see where people would think that.

That aside, I'm sure there are petite sections where you could go dress shopping. As your MOH, it doesn't seem to me you'd have to get her dress out of a bridal store, or any of your bridesmaids. So see if she can find a dress in a department store.

Also, as pp said, alterations are almost always an option and hemming shouldn't be difficult. Best of luck!

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: adrigirl01

Thank you!
And I told her that her dress it totally up to her so she could get it at Walmart if she really wanted to!

But yeah, it looks like hemming is gonna be the way to go if she wants a long dress. And knowing her, she will. Ha ha!
Miss Rebecca

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Maid of Honor is vertically challenged...
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 7:56 AM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

Wow...well for my wedding I am 5'0 and one of my bridesmaids is a little over 6'0 and VERY skinny. I love her dearly and I am not a bit concerned as to how the pictures will look like. No matter what her figure is I will be proud to have her in my wedding party and you should feel the same way about your maid of honor. I'm sure there are dress places out there that will make sure your maid of honor will look good.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

FALLbrideINLOVE Posts : 1,056 Registered: 3/30/07
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 8:01 AM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

as long as your friend feels like a million dollars in whatever dress she picks the photos will be gorgeous! no sense in trying to make yourselves look more similar body wise. if you both feel the best you can the photos will be fine

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 8:08 AM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

I am 5'2 and 1/4.... and at this height, every quarter inch counts.

as your friend is not 'blessed' in the chest area (and tell her to count herself lucky. She can wear a lot of things that the top heavy cannot), don't get a strapless. She can always wear a bra that has been stuffed if she really wants to, but why? Why not get one that accentuates her highlights rather than fudges things.

Dresses can be hemmed (we get our wedding dresses altered), but try to avoid a dress that has an intricate hem area, as that is a nuisance to alter.

Misty

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Just have her wear something she's comfortable in, and who cares what the pictures look like. I'll never understand this about brides, won't you look back and say, "oh there's my friend"? Not "wow this picture would be so much better if she had boobs.."

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 10:58 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

No one is going to care that she is shorter than you. And as a member of the itty bitty titty comitee.....I can personally tell you there are plenty of ways to fake a chest if SHE wants to. I have owned many of water bras, padded bras and so forth.

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

CEO of E.N.E.M.A. (Enemy Negotiations & Extraction Military Agency) A special Division of P.O.O.P. (People Offended by Offended People)

When POOP can't do it alone....they call for the ENEMA.

Soon2BMrsPorkChop Posts : 73 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:54 AM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

If you're photographer is at all worth his salt, he will figure out ways to make you both look great in your pictures. Its not as if he's going to stand the two of you shoulder to elbow and then cut off your head in a portrait. Also, alterations are generally pretty run of the mill when it comes to wedding wear, so I wouldn't be too worried. A trip to the local cleaners can take care of your concerns, if your MOH elects not to get her dress from a bridal shop, which is clearly the more costly option. I'm sure the whole thing will be quite all right.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 12:15 PM Go to message in response to: angeloncldnine

Are you trying to be rude to short people who have no chest? Because if so, seems like you very well succeeded. I'm shorter than your friend, and I have no problem finding dresses that fit me and (gasp) look good on me!. Your making it like no dresses are going to look good on her because she doesn't have long legs and a big chest. Has she never worn a dress before?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine