He's had the ring 8 months!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Kathome Posts : 7 Registered: 4/20/09
He's had the ring 8 months!
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 12:32 AM

And still no proposal! We had a ring designed by a jeweller back in August. After we had finished the design process I stepped back and told the jeweller to only deal with my bf as I didn't want to ruin the surprise. Well that's the last I heard of anything!

I'm pretty sure my bf bought the ring and has it hidden in the house. Every time I go into the spare bedroom looking for something he acts all weird and tells me just to leave things alone!

Has anyone else had to wait THIS long for their proposal once they knew the ring had been bought?

Edited by: Kathome on Apr 20, 2009 12:33 AM

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Re: He's had the ring 8 months!
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 1:36 AM Go to message in response to: Kathome

Well, I haven't experienced it personally, but that does seem like a long time to wait. However, it is possible if he has purchased it and hid it, he has a particular date he's waiting to propose. Do you have some sort of anniversary or special event coming up?

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 7:47 AM Go to message in response to: Kathome

The time will come, be patient :)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:29 AM Go to message in response to: Kathome

Perhaps he's paying for it in installments. Just because you've designed it doesn't mean that he's paid for it and that it's in the house yet. Personally, if I was proposing to someone, I'd want to get the ring paid for BEFORE getting engaged.

Or maybe he really wants it to be a surprise, but he feels like you're always expecting it. Relax and don't think about it and maybe he'll surprise you.

In any case, I wouldn't focus on it. I'm sure he has his reasons. Just relax and stop thinking about it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Tofu Posts : 66 Registered: 4/2/09
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: Kathome

My boyfriend asked if I want to know when he gets the ring, and for this reason I said NO WAY!
I sympathize, it would drive me crazy.
Maybe he is planning an elaborate proposal?
Did you guys meet in the spring or summer? Have a first kiss or first date somewhere during that time? Maybe he is saving the ring to proposing in a meaningful way?

Cool

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 5:38 PM Go to message in response to: Kathome

Yes, and it is very annoying. My FH got the ring from his grandmother (it was her engagement ring) in the middle of August, and I knew he had it because I carried it home on the airplane!!! He finally gave it to me the following MAY 30! Over 9 months of having the ring in our house and I didn't get to see it, I had no idea what it looked like, I was worried sick that I would hate it but would have to end up keeping it due to the sentimental value and everything.

Be thankful at least you know what your ring looks like and that you'll love it.
When is my wedding

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: Kathome

A friend of FH's bought a ring about the same time he did in 2007. He has not proposed yet. Luckily, his GF has no idea he has it. He is waiting so they can get married on their dating anniversary and hence the long wait. I personally think he is crazy but some men have their big elaborate proposals and specific wedding dates in mind. I'm just glad that she doesn't know!!

Cheer up. I'd be climbing the walls myself. You have my sympathy.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: brownegirl

Try not to focus on it, and like someone else said, he may not ahve it in the house yet. But regardless, he obviously has it on his mind and might have something specific planned to surprise you. TRY to let him do that. I'm sure it'll be a lot happier that way, and less stressful fo ryou if you can stop focusing on wondering.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

He is probably waiting until you least expect it. DH tried to do that with me, and I was so impatient, I picked a fight with him about it the day before he proposed, then I felt like an ass. Your BF will ask you when the time is right. PP's may be right, maybe he hasn't picked it up yet, or he's waiting for the special moment.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: Kathome

My FH and I designed our wedding bands and put down the deposit in November. We still do not even HAVE them yet. So your BF may not have been delaying as long as you think.

And truly? There are guys who dream of how they will propose and plan it out -- all their lives -- like many of us think about what we want for our wedding... they think of how they will stage the proposal. This is HIS moment in many ways. Let him orchestrate it. If he's holding out, it's because he does not just want to say "Here it is. Will you marry me?"

Misty

Lindz99 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/27/09
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 5:23 PM Go to message in response to: Kathome

My boyfriend bought the ring in the beginning of November last year (08). I'm a snoop and found the ring, and receipt with the date he bought it, a little after. I definitely expected the ring around Christmas/New Year's. Still nothing I understand what you're goin through. Hopefully our men have something planned and aren't just procrastinators/cold feet guys. Lol. Good luck, keep me updated.

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Apr 27, 2009 6:32 PM Go to message in response to: Kathome

It is really hard to be patient, I know! I am in sort of the same boat. My boyfriend and I picked out a ring design and I got sized and everything back in early February, and he said he was having the ring custom-made. So, at this point, I have no idea if he has already had the ring made or what. But, I really do want to be totally surprised, so I am just keeping quiet and trying to be patient :)

exlibris00 Posts : 2 Registered: 5/20/09
Posted: May 20, 2009 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: Kathome

Hi all - I'm new here too. I'm relieved to have found a forum where I can discuss all this engaged-to-be, etc, stuff. Since we're not engaged yet, I feel like a poser discussing my upcoming "marriage" with my friends.

We met online in April 2007 and went out after a week of emailing. By early June 2007 we knew we were in love, and I basically moved in with him that August. Last February we moved into our apartment; the wedding talk started in December. In the last few months, we have thought about locations and songs, discussed possible honor attendants, and made a mock guest list. The first week of May, he and I went to look at rings, and he knows what I want - he has been doing research and meeting with different jewelers. On Saturday, he had a heart-to-heart with my dad about marrying me.

Itching for a ring so I can look as engaged as I feel!!!! I know the feeling is mutual - his parents are even coming in for the 4th of July to meet my parents and celebrate our engagement...so it's GOTTA happen any day now, right? I know he wants to make it a surprise, and special, he even joked about doing a number of fake-outs, like Jim on "The Office". GAHHHH, patience is not my strong suit.

"What you'll experience may not be favorable all the time,

but as you get older, you're gonna realize

all that you've undergone was just a clever design

to mold you into who you are."

mooRS Posts : 26 Registered: 6/15/09
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 10:46 PM Go to message in response to: exlibris00

I know just what you ladies mean! I told my boyfriend over a year ago that I thought I wanted to marry him. His response? "I've known since our second date!" We did the dreamy-type stuff for a while, then, back in January, I started getting the really strong sense that he was getting ready to pop the question. Now, middle of June, my left hand is still naked. I seriously considered proposing to him at the end of May, and had the support of the people I'm closest to. But when I asked one of his friends to help plan it, his friend told me D would be too disappointed and that I should just be patient. He also laughed at me (btw, that felt really terrible).

I know D is probably trying to plan something fantastic, but I don't need roses and champagne and sunsets oh my! If anyone here watches Grey's, I loved the story of the lady whose husband asked her to marry him in the canned vegetables aisle of the grocery store! ...just something everyday, a moment where he realizes he wants every walk down the canned vegetables aisle to be with you. You know? Does anybody else feel like that?

Tofu Posts : 66 Registered: 4/2/09
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: mooRS

mooRs I do feel that way too!

A sweet, happy in the moment proposal sounds perfect. I don't think anything could be more romantic than that realization. I almost don't want my boyfriend to "plan" something for that reason!

Cool

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine