Hostess Gifts

Online Users: 1,247 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 1

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Hostess Gifts
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 10:19 PM

Hey Ladies,

So I never like to show up to a gathering, party, event, etc. empty handed.
I always ask if there is anything that I can bring and usually the answer is "no" so then I just come up with a generic something to bring.

Since I am only just shy of 20, I am pretty new to the whole hostess gift situation.

Well, I am going to FHs family's house for a belated Easter dinner and of course when I ask "can I help by bringing anything?" FH asked his Mom and she said "no, she can just bring herself." Well, I kind of am not willing to do that.

As a hostess, what do you usually appreciate the most?
My Mom dislikes when people bring flowers because she's usually frantically getting everything together and cooking the meal and trying to entertain that when somebody brings flowers she's like "great, thanks, now i have to find a vase, cut these and arrange them" (obviously she doesn't say that out loud).

Does everybody agree with this?

What would you like?

Is the generic bottle of wine or box of chocolates okay?
Should I bring something that they can use for the dinner? Or is it okay to buy something like a vase or a candle holder that may not get used that night?

All advice is appreciated!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: Hostess Gifts
Posted: Apr 19, 2009 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

All of your ideas are good, including the ones the hostess won't/can't necessarily use that night.

I totally agree with the no flowers thing, with the exception of an arrangement that's already in a vase with water. If the hostess has to stop to do anything with a gift other that uncork it or open a box, that's too much work for her.

preview image

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine