May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,379

Puglover27 Posts : 103 Registered: 2/12/09
Re: May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

Steff- I would say it would be rude to send out invites this late and people would notice. Do you need to meet a minimum is that why you had a guest list in the first place?

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 11:11 AM Go to message in response to: Puglover27

We have a 125 person minimum on the room.. so less people can come, but we'll have to pay for that many any way. I guess what's the most irritating is that our parents insisted on inviting certain relatives because we "had to". And these are the ones who aren't responding. We were afraid to invite 200 people, incase they all came! We had to cut friends from the list to accomodate relatives that are too rude to respond. So far our solution is to allow some single guests to bring dates, etc. And we have people at work who would come just for the heck of it. We agree that it's rude to go back and invite those friends we had to cut. Families can be so annoying, no?

My mom wants to wait until the last possible minute to call people, because they still have 3 more days. Well they also had 6 weeks already..

We are trying to remember that that's fine if people don't reply, our wedding will be full of people that want to be there, and although we'd be bummed with such a small wedding (we wanted like 140).. it will still be fun, and we'll save some money to boot.

mobride09 Posts : 519 Registered: 3/5/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 4:39 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

Okay, so I have been MIA for about a month and a half now, sorry ladies!!! I finally feel like I have time to breathe, because after I meet with the caterer tomorrow, I am DONE!!!! The wedding is 2 weeks(!) away, and boy am I ready! I am just saying a little prayer now that there will be no drama between now and then. Also, I love the idea someone had about not accepting drama anymore. I think I'll do that too :)

I went through a bit of a freak out last week because I went to the doctor and I had lost 20 pounds and didn't realize it! I though my clothes had been fitting a little loose, but it's hard to tell when you wear scrubs 90% of the time. Anyway, I made an emergency trip to the bridal salon and my dress fits fine, so that's good. I think it's because of the corset style back. I can make it smaller if I need to, thank GOD!!!

I do agree that this RSVP thing is getting out of hand. I asked for ours to be in by April 2nd, and I am still getting them. People can be so damn RUDE!! And most of them are people I wish wouldn't come anyway!! GRRRR!!!

I am getting super excited now, because it feels like after a year of planning, I can finally see the wedding coming. Until now, it has been almost a shadow in the future, but now it's real. FH and I went and got our marriage license today, it almost made us feel like grown ups! Sorry to ramble, like I said, I am sooooo exicted!!

With you and I defying gravity, they'll never bring us down!

Soon2BMrsPorkChop Posts : 73 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 5:02 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

Steff - I am so annoyed for you! A lot of my family lives across the country so I am really hoping they don't come and RSVP early so I can invite fun friends LOL. Anyway, good luck to you and I hope you get your 125!

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 6:58 AM Go to message in response to: mobride09

YAY! MoBride! Welcome back and congrats on the 20 pounds. I don't know if you were trying to lose or not but I sure wish I could lose 20 without noticing, lol!

Anyway, good to have you back and I think all of us are excited to get these weddings on with!

Lilypie Baby Tickerpreview image

Puglover27 Posts : 103 Registered: 2/12/09
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

So my shower is this Sunday and I am a little disappointed. People still haven't rsvpd, I had to track some down and then some are bringing their kids (these are people I haven't met). I was trying to have a classy shower. The only kids were going to be mine and my fiance's nieces and four of the six are teenagers. I had one list for my shower and then I decided I don't know some of these people and want to keep it to family and friends. Well my moh said she had started on the original list and then just added anyone from the second list, but didn't take anyone off. My mistake for sending out two, but the weird thing is I know I sent the second list out and then I had ended up meeting her for brunch. We had stopped at her place and she showed me the inivtes and none were filled out. The second shower list said new updated list. I think she has been lying about some thigs. Just like some people got their invites over a week after she suppposedly had mailed them. Very weird since they all live in state in the metro area.
Geez I guess I am a grumpy bridezilla this am.

My mom has told me to relax, but seriously I am tired of people doing what they want. Just like people adding their adult children on the wedding rsvp list when I didn't invite them.
I should be getting more excited as it gets closer,but I am not.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 9:37 AM Go to message in response to: Puglover27

Pug, don't stress about the shower.. it will come and go so fast, you will barely remember who was there. At least that's how it was for me. My FMIL took lots of pics, so I have that to remember everything. But I feel like my girls spent 3 months planning something that felt like it was 5 minutes. Just relax and enjoy. I wish I wasn't so nervous for mine, because by the time I relaxed, it was over!

I thought of a great plan for what to do with all the money we saved by having a smaller wedding (since barely any out of state people are flying in..) I want to just take the extra $3k, get it in singles, and "make it rain" to Flo Rida at the wedding! Totally kidding. But wouldn't that be funny?

Congrats to the PP who is done with everything! I can't wait until I get to that point where I can just look forward to things, and not have a to do list. We are almost there!

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: mobride09

Welcome back Mo! Gratz on being done with everything! Wish I could say the same for myself lol. Especially since it's two weeks away today! Aghhhh! I still have a ton to do.

My shower/bachorlette party is tonight. FH is so awesome! He's cooking for everyone. But before that I have my last dress fitting. Woot!

To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." -- Rollo May

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: WaterySylph

Welcome back, Mo :) Glad to see things are going wel for you and your planning/paying is almost done! It must be great to feel like you're put it all together.

Great...now I forgot the name for the shower issues...geez. Sorry! I can see the picture in my head, but not the name. I'm sorry people are being so difficult to get ahold of and to RSVP. That's just rude and inconsiderate. I don't know much about how shower RSVPing usually works. I'm not really dealing with it. I think about 20-25 ppl have been invited to the shower. No clue how many have responded. I just know that if it's less than 10, I'll probably be bummed. But either way, it's going to be ok. They at least really want to be there. As for wedding RSVPs, our deadline is May 8th. We've gotten about 5-6 back from almost 50 invitations. I'm not too worried about it yet, I'm just excited to get them in the mail :)

So, on the topic of bridemaid gifts again, I think I found a pretty cute cosmetic bag for the girls. They're only $10, so I would get those and then put a more personal gift inside. One friend would get a personalized shot glass, another a gc to Bath and Body works, and the 3rd some chocolates she loves. I just can't decide if those are great gifts, or if one, more "exciting" gift would be better. That gift would be a personalized picture frame. They've all said not to get anything, so they're no help! The cosmetic bags look like this:

And for parent gifts, I'm still definitely planning on getting something for my parents. My sister said it's not a big deal, and no one here really knows about getting parent gifts for the wedding. I guess I read too much online, and on this site, lol. But everything I've researched talks about parent gifts. We'll see how that goes...

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Das, those cosmetic bags are really cute! I think that getting them things that are useful like that is always a good bet. Maybe you could put some nice hand cream in there too, nail polish, and waterproof mascara (they'll need it for the wedding!)

For my girls, I have small Vera Bradley hand bags, I got each of them a different Juicy Couture charm necklace, and then I filled it with some hand cream and stuff from Crabtree and Evelyn. I also made each of them a collaged picture frame. I bought little frames at the dollar store and made a collage using Cosmo magazine quotes etc. I put a pic of all of us from the shower in it.

I gifts like that with lots of little things, because I feel like there's more of a chance they'll use at least some of it. Versus me spending a bunch on one big thing that they may not like.

I think I had 33 people at my shower. I know they invited like 75, but a lot were out of state.. so I don't know why they did that. I'm sure you guys will get a good turn out. And honestly, the smaller it is, the less stressful it will be! A lot of people that don't go will still send a gift.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Oh!! I completely forgot to mention that we got our engagement pictures in!!! I was soooo excited to see them and how they turned out. We had the pics taken on March 11th and were told they'd take about 8 weeks to get (so it'd be right before the wedding). But they only took about a month.

If you guys are interested, I can post a few later :)

Stephy77 Posts : 109 Registered: 9/2/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Stef - we had about a dozen responses we hadn't received on the the due date. 9 of them came with in the following 3-4 days. I think alot of people just procrastiante and then have that uh oh moment at the end. Grrr it is irritating but you really might get a big batch in within the next week and meet the125 min.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 1:24 PM Go to message in response to: Stephy77

Thanks for the input, Steff. Lotions, body sprays, etc. are a great idea! I'll definitely check them out. I was thinking about putting together a picture frame too, just one I would paint, but FH didn't really like the idea. Jerk :P I enjoy doing handmade projects for people, so maybe I will just get a smaller version of the frame I was going to do and put those in the bags too!

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Stephy, thanks for the tip on the rsvps! I think we're going to end up with around 117, so even if a few more people show up last, we should be good (since we have to pay for 125 anyway)..

DAS, FH was the same way about me making something for them.. but for some reason I really wanted to. I think if that's the only thing you give them it might be a little weak, but included with the nice bag you have etc, I think it could be really meaningful to them. If I ever get time, I also wanted to make them shrinky dink key chains with their names on them.. that I would use as the gift tag on the purse. I may be a little overly ambitious though.

BlissfullyContent Posts : 73 Registered: 1/28/07
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

I just figured out what my girls were getting. I had no idea what to get them because they are all pretty different and into different things so I went the girlie route. I bought them all different styles of vera bradley make up bags, a bare minerals starter kit, and got them samples of different philosophy products like their microderm abrasion mask and hope in a jar and stuff. we are going to the spa for mani, pedi's and massages next weekend (and if i don't chicken out I might get some form of bikini wax) so i think i'm going to give them to them then so they have time to play with the make up.

I need help! I posted in the ediquette section but you girls know that it's crunch time and have to make the same decisions soon.
What do you do about place cards? I'm just telling guests what table to sit at, not the exact seat but I think it's kinda silly to give a 5 year old their own place card. Can you do Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Family? or is that a big no no? I just don't know what to do if couples have like 3 kids, give one to the couple and then each child gets their own? And what to do about single mothers/fathers?
Can you do a Mr. John Smith and Ms. Susie Smith(child) ? Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. James Doe (toddler)? How should it be worded?
I found a wonderful site to get my table cards and place cards ordered and they print the names on them so i don't have to worry about my horrible chicken scratch. It's just with 3 weekds to go I need to get them ordered and I need to know how to order....it's about a $40 difference if the kids do not need their own and we need to save money where ever we can.

I'm still clueless as to what to get the 'rents. to be honest i still dont' have a venue for the rehearsal dinner.....but with that being $500 (figure $20 a head) I'm not sure if we're going to want to have one unless people offer to pay for themselves. We might just have an informal get together, pot luck or pizza or something the night before...who knows.

Gorgeous day!! I'm going to go enjoy the sunshine!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine