as a guest...how do you feel about no favors?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

StephanieMay10 Posts : 11 Registered: 12/22/08
as a guest...how do you feel about no favors?
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:36 AM

As a guest how do you feel about not receiving a favor. I am considering not providing favors. We are just out of college and trying to keep the cost low. Is tacky to not provide favors. We are providing open bar for most of the night.

As a bride, how many other people are opting to not do favors?

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Re: as a guest...how do you feel about no favors?
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:59 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I don't think it's tacky. I'm cutting costs by not having them as well. And for another reason: most favors that are found in my price range are either thrown away by people or never used. When I go to a wedding I don't expect to get one. I guess it's not something that's particularly common around here. Aside from chocolates, I think I've only been to one wedding in this area where favors were given.

JennHatesWaiting Posts : 74 Registered: 1/14/09
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 3:15 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Honestly I'm not sure how many people would even notice if there werent favors. Especially if there is a bar (ha!) I really think having a reception and celebrating with the guests is gift enough! You know your guests better then we do though. We all know there are some pretentious, uppity people out there who might notice and say something. But really, if they cared that much about a favor who really cares what they think anyways?! I think its actually rather smart of you. Its sad to see so many people go into debt over a wedding.

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: JennHatesWaiting

hah I cut out the bar and am doing small favors. Probably just some candy. Sadly i'm not really having this for them. Granted I want to provide them with some tastey food and cake!!! but I don't see why it's such a big thing to spend money on making them happy? lol I know i'm mean...

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

I don't think I wouldn't notice favors. I think favors have gotten a bit tacky in themselves recently. Who seriously wants something they don't really need with someone elses names stamped all over it? I like the idea of an open bar much better. I decided on having favors as we will not be having an open bar, but my favors are tea cups I picked up at Goodwill for less than a dollar a peice, and some Hersheys hugs and Kisses inside. I figure its a yummy snack, and something that doesn't have our name plastered allover it that the can either keep, or give back to Goodwill. So I say go with your idea!! With the economy the way it is I am sure people will understand abotu no favors, if they even notice at all!!

CSUFgrad08 Posts : 114 Registered: 6/19/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I don't think we are having favors either. If we were to have favors it would probably be something edible like cookies or candy.
a wedding website

~Future Mrs. D~ 

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I personally like favours because I am big on mementos, however, as a guest at a wedding I do not feel entitled to a favour of any kind. So not giving one is fine with me. Edible favours are also cool. Most people where I'm from have almonds or chocolates as favours.

Do what's best for you.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Wait, you are Stephanie May '10, I'm Steff May '09! Yay, that's exciting! I thought I commented on this but I guess it got lost in cyber space... I went to a wedding that had no favors, no champagne, and no cake. I would say I didn't notice, but here I am writing about it so I guess I did. They put a nice plate of truffles on each table, and it seemed to serve the same purpose, and I'm sure it saved money.

I also don't think that favors with the bride and groom's name are tacky.. I guess because we did coffee mugs with our 'logo' and names. But we also have shot glasses and beer coozies from weddings we went to and I like them.

His4life Posts : 117 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I actually have not been to a wedding where there were favors.... so I don't see a big deal about not having them. We will not be having favors at our wedding because I could put that money to better use. It's alwasy entirely up to the bride and groom- and if you can afford it then go for it.

WaterySylph Posts : 208 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:05 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Honestly, I didn't know there was such a thing as favors until I started planning my wedding lol.

To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before." -- Rollo May

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

As a guest...I wouldn't like not having a favor. It's always assumed that there will be a favor at a wedding.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

FutureMrsB2010 Posts : 15 Registered: 3/24/09
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Honestly I don't think you need them. Most of the weddings I've been to have them, and (shame on me!) I usually just end up throwing them out if they're something that's not edible. If you're that concerned about your budget, don't buy them! Most people aren't even going to notice.

If you really feel like you MUST have them, then I would go for something cheap that guests might actually want to use. I recently went to a wedding where they gave out packets of flower seeds. I assume that would be pretty cheap and who doesn't like flowers?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

If I were a bride on a budget, the very first thing I would cut would be favors. Nobody really needs them, wants them, or cares about them. Sure, it's nice to give guests something. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many little 2-inch picture frames I have shoved in a drawer (or given or thrown away). Many brides complain that half of the favors they slaved over are left behind at the end of the evening. Skip 'em.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

nearlymrsn Posts : 25 Registered: 11/7/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

We went back and forth on the favor issue, toying with ideas of doing cookie cutters, candy or something else, and finally decided we didn't want to do them. Instead we are going to donate money to the American Cancer Society and put small cards on the tables that says something along the lines of 'In lieu of favors, a donation has been made to the American Cancer Society in your name'. FH father passed away from cancer when FH was 13, and we both had grandparents who passed away from cancer so it makes sense for us to do that. This way we aren't wasting money on stuff that people are either going to throw away or leave behind for us to deal with.
Nearly Mrs. Nierling

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I couldn't care less about receiving favors at a wedding. In fact, I don't even notice if I DON'T get one - and I don't usually take one if they are given.

We didn't do them at our wedding, either. Nobody noticed or cared.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine