candles vs. flowers

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

StephanieMay10 Posts : 11 Registered: 12/22/08
candles vs. flowers
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:23 AM

Flowers are very expensive and I really like the idea of using candles. Any opinions on this. How much is too much with candles? I was thinking that some areas of the room would have lots of candles in different heights to add decoration to the room, but when I showed pictures to my FH from the internet he is worried about it looking like "dracula" he thinks that it is too much.

What do you think is appropriate? Any other suggestions for decorations for the room. On the tables we are going to have 3-4 candles which will be all different in a variety of shapes and sizes.

adrigirl01 Posts : 287 Registered: 10/2/08
Re: candles vs. flowers
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 4:03 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I can see his concern about it looking dracula-like if the candles were stand-alone. Could you possibly order some flowers (or trust someones garden) to give them a less dramatic effect? If there was some greenery or flowers around the base of their holders, I think it would look nice. Seeing a pic of what you're envisioning could help us help you.

middleduck0628 Posts : 36 Registered: 1/4/09
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 4:15 AM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

In my opinion too much is the point when you have to start worrying about fire hazards. There are plenty of other things you can decorate with for cheap that will still look great. One idea is nice pictures (black and white or color) in pretty frames. Another is floating candles in pretty bowls or live fish. Even wine bottles or fresh fruit (look up fruit centerpieces) can be really pretty. It really all depends on the theme of your wedding and what fits. Google image can give you about a million good ideas.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 15, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

Three or four candles on a table is not, IMO, overdoing things. Why does it have to be candles OR flowers? For example, you can do a tall glass cylinder vase, maybe put some stones in the bottom, wind a little bear grass around the inside, float one candle and one flower on top, and you have something really stunning looking. For color, you could add a little food coloring to the water or use sea glass, marbles, crystals, fresh fruit, etc., in the vase. For more sparkle, put a few votives around (near the place settings looks pretty) or a single flower at each place. I have very large glass cylinders that cost me about $9 each at Michael's. Ikea has multiple pillar candles already grouped on a plate very inexpensively. A few crystals,a tiny bunch of flowers, a few extra votives--you could easily decorate a table for around $20 and have it look like a million. Another idea is to keep tables simple, but do one big, wow arrangement atsome focal point in the room. Contact me through my website and I'll send you some pictures of thess types of arrangement.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

BibliophileMom Posts : 80 Registered: 3/26/09
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I'm not having flowers at my reception, because I don't want to spend a ton of money (and I would rather not have them at all than have ones that look cheap). We're doing a beach theme, because the reception is 1 week after we get home from our destination wedding in the Virgin Islands.

Here's our centerpieces:

http://www.icestandard.org/products/view/15395/palm-breezes-beach-pail-tealight-holder.html

We're also going to have shells on the tables, and we might rent some potted palm trees.

URL="http://www.whenismywedding.com/"IMGhttp://www.whenismywedding.com/signature/d7a0d758157ae230.gif[/IMG][/URL]

hill3944 Posts : 3 Registered: 10/22/09
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

I'm having an evening wedding, and I'm thinking of using candles too... to create a romantic/whimsical atmosphere. I think that candles are fine, but I think it depends what colors you have at your wedding as to how they are perceived. My reception will be mostly light colors, so I don't think they will look "Dracula", but if your color scheme is mostly dark (blues, blacks, etc.) then it may be a little much. If this is the case, I would keep them ultra simple, and go with some of the other posts and incorporate just a few flowers. Just my take on it :)
"Marriage is the perfection of what love aimed at, ignorant of what it sought." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: StephanieMay10

A-line Saphhire Floral One-shoulder Drape Side Slit Backless Floor-length Prom Dress
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Prom Dress,the price is just $149.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-saphhire-floral-oneshoulder-drape-side-slit-backless-floorlength-prom-dress-p-31718.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine